Used 200 Series are a Bargain compared to,… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Apples to oranges honestly.

If I did much more wheeling / rock climbing then maybe a 200 isn’t for me. For 99% on road and young kids, the LX is great for us.

cant really compare teh two. Once you start modding that 200 to have similar features as teh stock chevy your jaw will drop. Just to get bumpers and sliders from dissent for a 200 is like $10k lol. then lockers, suspension mods etc. end up with a 100k bill before you know it.

At least the LC200 won’t ever have the “4WD Off” message like the ZR2 is capable of.

Uhhh...so you like to be seen in a Highlander?? Not sure how many chicks will give you a second look in a Highlander.
Let’s be real…neither a Highlander or Landcruiser are getting anybody a seat at the cool kids table. With how much time most of us spend on here, there’s only one driveshaft still getting greased these days :cheers:

Last edited:
Exactly. Which one is more capable offroad is a different question than which one would I rather live with 365 days a year.
Also depends on what you call offroad. Rock hopping is playtime, not offroading. Drive a few hundred miles on frost heaved, rutted, and corrugated gravel trails and see which one still works without a repair. Based on personal experience, it won’t be the Chevy/Ford/Ram unless it is an HD.

Respectfully disagree. Depending on the part of the world, a Land Cruiser 200 can be viewed differently..
The part of the world the my family comes from (India), you pull up in a Land Cruiser and people will think either you’re the head of state or the CEO of a multinational company. The part of the world I live in now (Southern California), people think I’m a moron for not spending the money on a built Jeep or Range Rover if I wanted an SUV I could take off road.
If a specific car is what it takes to get a seat at the ‘cool’ kids table then they aren’t the cool kids.
I think the majority of people buy (read lease) as much car as they can afford based on the badge. Might be different where you live, but for a lot people it’s their biggest status signal.

When I visit our apartment buildings a majority of the tenants are driving something more “prestigious” than my debadged 2016 LX. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I get the feeling reading between the lines on here that there’s a pretty decent subset of 200 owners who pay cash for their cars. But they don’t care about flexing because they don’t have anything left to prove or anyone left to impress. Paying cash for a $100k Toyota or Lexus is what I’d call old money…leasing a European car makes people look rich, but that isn’t the same as being rich.

The part of the world the my family comes from (India), you pull up in a Land Cruiser and people will think either you’re the head of state or the CEO of a multinational company. The part of the world I live in now (Southern California), people think I’m a moron for not spending the money on a built Jeep or Range Rover if I wanted an SUV I could take off road.

I think the majority of people buy (read lease) as much car as they can afford based on the badge. Might be different where you live, but for a lot people it’s their biggest status signal.

When I visit our apartment buildings a majority of the tenants are driving something more “prestigious” than my debadged 2016 LX. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I get the feeling reading between the lines on here that there’s a pretty decent subset of 200 owners who pay cash for their cars. But they don’t care about flexing because they don’t have anything left to prove or anyone left to impress. Paying cash for a $100k Toyota or Lexus is what I’d call old money…leasing a European car makes people look rich, but that isn’t the same as being rich.
Even before I could afford to pay cash for possessions, I could have cared less what other people thought. "Flexing" and impressing others is a sad/shallow existence and thankfully never part of my DNA.

Even before I could afford to pay cash for possessions, I could have cared less what other people thought. "Flexing" and impressing others is a shallow existence and thankfully has never been in my DNA.
I spent a good bit of the year at our businesses in Montana. The statement you made is very normal there. Of course not the billionaires row in White Fish. But that is a different subset of the population.

Different people flex with different things, whether its education, houses, cars, clothes, class status etc etc. There is no end to it. You have the most expensive car? Well I have a jet. You are a doctor? Well I am a JD/MD. Blah blah blah. You have 10 houses, well I have 30. You have 30 houses in US? Well I have 90 houses in 3 continents...

What @achillar30 is saying is very prevalent in LA, Miami, Austin, Scottsdale... etc etc...

I am like you - always not only paid cash, never cared what others thought. I love going to parties with the cheapest car in the parking lot. Its almost a reverse snobbery if I am honest. Kind of elitism, that "anybody can lease a xxxx... but only people who know will own a xxxx"

The human psychology is a very interesting thing.

At the end of the day.. I found there is almost always someone smarter, better looking, richer, fitter than me. I am happy in my own skin and that is all that matters to me.

Driving a leased Rover, Maserati , Macan, 911, and living in a 2400$/month rented apt is a phenomenon that is very common in parts of the world where credit is accessible and cheap.

Many parts of the world, people save their whole lives, and buy their first house in their 50s. They pay $75,000+ to have the priviledge of owning a car (before buying the car), or paying 300% tax on a car etc etc.

In the western world, we have lots of choices. How people spend their money, is their freedom.

I spent a good bit of the year at our businesses in Montana. The statement you made is very normal there. Of course not the billionaires row in White Fish. But that is a different subset of the population.

What @achillar30 is saying is very prevalent in LA, Miami, Austin, Scottsdale... etc etc...

I am like you - always not only paid cash, never cared what others thought. I love going to parties with the cheapest car in the parking lot. Its almost a reverse snobbery if I am honest. Kind of elitism, that "anybody can lease a xxxx... but only people who know will own a xxxx"

The human psychology is a very interesting thing.
We have a family place in Montana, and I agree with you about the general vibe there. I suppose it takes all types to keep the world spinning.

That was precisely my point. It varies depending on the region 👍

Did anyone also mention the zr2 doesn’t have a V8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom