Used 200 Series are a Bargain compared to,… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
After realizing that Chevy wants $62k for a loaded midsize ZR2 pickup—it reinforced the love I have for the Land Cruiser.

Well midsize trucks have been pricey and all over the map. We have $24,000 Utility Toyota Tacomas (paid 21K for) and we have $43K DCLB OR Tacomas, which we paid MSRP for. Both same year, same platform, and one is not 20K better the the other one.

Given the resale value (we sell them every 3 years from our farm fleet, we essentially drive them for free, and sometimes actually make money. I don't know about Chevy trucks, never will buy one.

Hard to compare the midsize trucks, which have ballooned up in prices to used LC.

Car prices are ridiculous and quality is abysmal. The top spec Civic Type R has a $45k sticker…which doubles the base entry-level Civic MSRP. When market forces used to be a thing, among mainstream brands that used to be a Porsche only phenomenon (rightfully so).

Welcome to the post-pandemic and post-free stimulus money future where you can walk into a dealer and spend $50k out the door on a Civic! And auto workers are still on strike because they don’t make enough. When do I get the privilege of paying $100k for a Civic?

Car prices are ridiculous and quality is abysmal. The top spec Civic Type R has a $45k sticker…which doubles the base entry-level Civic MSRP. When market forces used to be a thing, among mainstream brands that used to be a Porsche only phenomenon (rightfully so).

Welcome to the post-pandemic and post-free stimulus money future where you can walk into a dealer and spend $50k out the door on a Civic! And auto workers are still on strike because they don’t make enough. When do I get the privilege of paying $100k for a Civic?
Young buck,

In 1996, we bought a brand new Accord Ex with leather (first leather package Accord), sedan for my mother. Moonroof, dual tail pipes, body colored mirrors and handles. $22,500. We couldn't believe that an Accord can cost over 20K. She traded in her Toyota Cressida Wagon. I remember $12,000 Toyota Trucks, and sub 10K new Nissan Sentra in the LA Times.

50K Corollas and 50K CTR are the norm :grinpimp:

Young buck,

In 1996, we bought a brand new Accord Ex with leather (first leather package Accord), sedan for my mother. Moonroof, dual tail pipes, body colored mirrors and handles. $22,500. We couldn't believe that an Accord can cost over 20K. She traded in her Toyota Cressida Wagon. I remember $12,000 Toyota Trucks, and sub 10K new Nissan Sentra in the LA Times.

50K Corollas and 50K CTR are the norm :grinpimp:
Sad thing is that the Accord and Cressida have a better chance of still running in 2030 than the brand new CTR.

Good thing LCs are built to last, because the way things are going, I don’t want to be in the car market until the next lifetime :cheers:

If it ain't a Type aaRRRR, it ain't a tyte CaRRRrR :hillbilly:

When clueless people are impressed by my Tesla DD (base model SR 3), I remind them I could buy two of them for what a top-of-the-line civic costs (paid $24k new after tax rebate in 2019).

But in all honesty, I would drive the hell out of a CTR if it fit my business needs and I didn't have to pay dealer markups. I'm still a honda fanboi at heart :steer:

Last edited:
BUT, ZR2 sure has lots of off-road toys straight from factory with factory warranty and tested to play nice with other parts of the truck. Remember there were a few who had issues with a LC dealership (Ed Martin) mods on their LC?

Last edited:
I am seeing the prices of some of these older pre 200 LC in the US and its crazy.
At this rate I think used LC200s in general are a bargain compared to some of these older cruisers.

Yes, bargain is very relative to many factors, including your economic reality and use case.
The LC200 is an absolute bargain if you compare it to a Benteyga or Range Rover Autobiography, but they also serve a much different purpose.
Not sure I would have cross shopped the a Chevy pickup when I purchased my LC200.

I mean for the CAPABILITY of the ZR2 Bison...you would need to heavily modify a stock LC200 to match it off-road. Is a modified LC200 still a bargain?

Don't get me wrong, LC200 is far more durable, roomier, more reliable, can tow more, etc..

But people who buy ZR2 are more about having a great off-roader that has truck bed. They are not looking to keep it for 10, 20, 30 yrs.

I mean for the CAPABILITY of the ZR2 Bison...you would need to heavily modify a stock LC200 to match it off-road. Is a modified LC200 still a bargain?

Don't get me wrong, LC200 is far more durable, roomier, more reliable, can tow more, etc..

But people who buy ZR2 are more about having a great off-roader that has truck bed. They are not looking to keep it for 10, 20, 30 yrs.
To be fair, I think a stock 200 series with all terrains would do just fine on the trail with a ZR2 Bison.

To be fair, I think a stock 200 series with all terrains would do just fine on the trail with a ZR2 Bison.
over mild-mod trails sure. But technical stuff? I dunno...i will take ZR2 Bison. More clearances. Lockers galore. Standard protection plates and sliders. I think that it comes standard with a winch? Lighter weight. Smaller footprint. More agile.

This is the same argument as Wrangler Rubicon vs. LC200. Different animals. Different purpose. To say one is a bargain and the other not is wrong IMHO.

$62k for any Colorado is way too much….

Capable no doubt!

I recently ran Wheeler Lake with a F/R locked Chevy Colorado (not the new generation), and I beg to differ :eek:

I know which one I'd rather take offroading in the morning then a nightclub in the evening... and its not the Colorado 🤣
Uhhh...so you like to be seen in a Highlander?? Not sure how many chicks will give you a second look in a Highlander.

Uhhh...so you like to be seen in a Highlander?? Not sure how many chicks will give you a second look in a Highlander.

The ladies at Moscow nightclubs can usually identify a Land Cruiser vs a Highlander.

Or if they don't know a Land Cruiser, they generally won't know a Highlander either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom