I love Jeep (but I want an FJ80 on the side) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bobsethi.com
Hi,

My name is Bob and I'm a life long Jeep guy. How bad is my problem? Well, pull up a chair and I'll lay it out for you:

• 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - the wife's but she lets me play with it (33s, etc).
  • 2006 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. - sold.
  • 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Classic - sold.
  • 200X Peg Perego Jeep - my daughter's.
  • 200X Power Wheels Jeep - my son's.1995 Jeep YJ Sport - my first Jeep, bought new, and now on 35's, etc. When I get home from work, this is my personal vehicle.
  • 1983 Jeep Wagoneer Ltd. - restored, Collector-plated but...
So, yeah, I'm certifiable. Despite this, I've always had an eye for the FJ80 - they looked to provide same daily driver ability and offroad capability that Jeep's do. But given my admitted issue I've never seriously looked at owning one before. Until now.

This past August my wife and I were involved in a serious highway accident where our Wagoneer was flipped onto its' roof killing it.

457548_3483692142196_1399896149_o.jpg

Sorry, I'm back now, had something in my eye :)crybaby:). We were lucky that we walked away from the accident and that no one else was hurt, not even a fender bender. We're still dealing with Insurance but, even after we eventually (hopefully?) settle, I know it could take years before I find my next Wagoneer.

So, what to do. The Wagoneer was our family's roadtrip/camping/(don't care about towing anymore) vehicle. We built alot of memories in it going to alot of places. Knowing how long it may be before I have another Wagoneer, I'm thinking now's the time to indulge in an FJ80.

I've read the FAQ and a number of the other posts to get up to speed but have a few questions:

1. What differences can I expect in power/drivability between the FJ80 and FZJ80?
  2. Did the 80s ever come in black exterior?
  3. Do the later models have the LATCH anchors for kids' seats?
  4. Has anyone put three (3) kids' seats across the back seat?
  5. How many miles per tank are you guys actually getting and on what grade fuel?

I'm sure I'll have other questions but will check the site before posting. Thanks.

- Bob

PS - feel free to Jeep-hate, I can take it :flipoff2:

PPS - now taking comments on three 80s to choose from.

PPPS - my wife and I have agreed that the towing capability is no longer a concern as we will likely never tow a trailer again (edited October 23, 2012)

Last edited:
You will have more power with the FZJ80 engine over the gutless 3FE engine in the FJ80. That being said, there are great prices showing up now on the 100 series from '98 on. V8 power there.

Yes - I've seen 80's in black.

Dont' know about the latch

I stopped at two kids

I'm really armored up and have a fridge and drawer system in the back, so carrying a lot more weight and wind drag from the roof rack so my mileage quote is low at about 11mpg. I was getting 13-14 in town when the truck was bone stock. 16-17mpg highway bone stock too.

Glad you weren't hurt in that horrible accident.

1-FZJ80 has a number of advantages. It has more power and better brakes to start.

2-Black was fairly rare 1996 and early 97 only (possible other years but I've never seen)

3-Don't know about latch anchors.

4-3 Across is doable, not super comfortable. No problem in a pinch, miserable after they start the pushing and shoving thing. "He touched me..."

5-Fuel economy is not the strong suit of these trucks. Figure 12 mpg x 25 gallons.

No latch anchors on seats, but upper tethers are not hard to set up. 2nd row middle seat is lap belt only so there's no need for UAS/LATCH on that seat anyways.

Most guys get 250-300 miles per tank of gas on the freeway at sea level. About 15mpg hwy. Mine runs fine on 87 octane. Most peeps will say that they will prolly run fine on a blend of 82 octane and donkey piss. City mileage varies depending on terrain and traffic, but expect 8-12mpg depending. With diesel you can expect about 75% better fuel economy. But there are none in the USA.

Don't buy this thing for fuel economy.

Better power, brakes good. My wife's JKU has two forward facing seats plus a booster so I can deal with the "he touched me".

1-FZJ80 has a number of advantages. It has more power and better brakes to start.

2-Black was fairly rare 1996 and early 97 only (possible other years but I've never seen)

3-Don't know about latch anchors.

4-3 Across is doable, not super comfortable. No problem in a pinch, miserable after they start the pushing and shoving thing. "He touched me..."

5-Fuel economy is not the strong suit of these trucks. Figure 12 mpg x 25 gallons.

I will play.
90 yj on 37s. Fuel injected 302 Dana 44front 60 rear.
98 Cherokee. 2 inch lift and 31 BFG ATS.
Before my 80 I was set on a wagoneer but I have 4 kids. Now all the kids and wife can wheel with me. I love my 80. It wheels very very well also. You will be happy.

Sent from my Nexus S using IH8MUD

I must be one of the few that thinks the 3fe moves pretty well.

Sent from my Nexus S using IH8MUD

02 Tj, 79 cj7, 85 cj8, and last year bought my 80. I will tell you they are 1000000% night and day different than an xj or Tj or similar. Ride quality in the 80 is great. My Tj was unbearable to drive long distances on 33's where my 80 has 35" Truxus on it and it rides like a dream. The 80's straight six will blow a 4.0 out of the water as far as power and even responsiveness. Milage is a bit lower 12 in the cruiser, 15 in the TJ on 33's. yes better brakes as well. And a ton more storage overall with the land cruiser over a Cherokee. I have the fzj80, so can comment on the 3fe's power. And no kids so can't help on the rear seat either. You won't be disappointed in the land cruiser compared to the xj.

If anything, it would be a fight between an FZJ80 vs Jeep Cherokee Ltd. WJ. But I already know the back seat won't fit three kids' seats in the WJ so I'm ready to pull the trigger on an LC.

02 Tj, 79 cj7, 85 cj8, and last year bought my 80. I will tell you they are 1000000% night and day different than an xj or Tj or similar. Ride quality in the 80 is great. My Tj was unbearable to drive long distances on 33's where my 80 has 35" Truxus on it and it rides like a dream. The 80's straight six will blow a 4.0 out of the water as far as power and even responsiveness. Milage is a bit lower 12 in the cruiser, 15 in the TJ on 33's. yes better brakes as well. And a ton more storage overall with the land cruiser over a Cherokee. I have the fzj80, so can comment on the 3fe's power. And no kids so can't help on the rear seat either. You won't be disappointed in the land cruiser compared to the xj.

That was a crazy accident, I actually got stuck in the traffic from it and passed the carnage. Man you two where lucky you got out with out injures.

My 97 LX450 with full maintinence done including clean and flow of the Inj. with 315/75R16 gets 360-420kms per tank on the hwy I can squeak just over 520kms. My rolling average fuel economy *not* corrected for the 10% bigger tires is 18l/100kms mostly city driving to and from work. I have seen 13.8L/100kms on a all hwy tank.....once.

Last edited:
even compared to the 318 powered WJ i had the "pleasure" of working on and driving around really deosnt compare. power yeah, the v8 any day, but ride over bigger meats, i still give it to the LC. Don't even try to stab 3 kids in the back of a liberty or patriot. I know i sound super biased tward the LC, because i AM. i have been dihard jeep for 10+ years, but once this 80 came my way there is NO going back to that crappy a ride quality that jeep offers.

Waggy will out tow the 80, has more interior room, power tailgate glass, elegant shag carpet and plush leather (?) seats that are so wide you can indulge your love of fast food and spray cheez until your heart stops.

80 does everything else better. My 81 Waggy had the 360, TF 727 and the preferred green/plastic wood on pumpkin interior.

Hi,

• 200X Peg Perego Jeep - my daughter's.
Not to bust your balls but you already have a cruiser right there..... the Peg Peregos were modeled after FJ40's land cruisers not jeeps. :flipoff2:

1. What differences can I expect in power/drivability between the FJ80 and FZJ80 (depends on the shape of both of them but there is a difference you will feel, if you plan on towing.... i'd say go for the FZJ, the FJ will be more reliable thouhg)
  2. Did the 80s ever come in black exterior? (YES)
  3. Do the later models have the LATCH anchors for kids' seats? (Not sure on that one.... i've used a seat belt ratchet strap on mine when I have my nephew)
  4. Has anyone put three (3) kids' seats across the back seat? (If you mean the 3rd row then there is only two seat belts, the middle row it could be doable)
  5. How many miles per tank are you guys actually getting and on what grade fuel? (250 but mine is a little different than most)

1. What differences can I expect in power/drivability between the FJ80 and FZJ80?
  2. Did the 80s ever come in black exterior?
  3. Do the later models have the LATCH anchors for kids' seats?
  4. Has anyone put three (3) kids' seats across the back seat?
  5. How many miles per tank are you guys actually getting and on what grade fuel?

1. The FZJ has a more powerful engine, and the late-95+ flavors have a larger transmission (debatable about which is better)

2. Black is available, however it is rare and after all these years not many of them are in great shape. The other colors hide scratches/dent way better.

3. No idea about the LATCH anchors

4. No idea about how many baby seats will fit in the back.

5. I am getting 290-340 miles per tank. 85 or 87 grade, whatever the cheapest grade available at the Conoco. When I fill, I put in between 18 and 22 gallons into the 25 gallon tank (about 4 gallons is meant as reserce relative to when the gas tank light comes on). I get 14-16 mpg every tank with 265/75/16 tires and 2.5" lift.

I am a former Jeep owner as well. I had a 99TJ, 94XJ and an 05 Rubicon Unlimited.

My 80 has the 3FE with 33's and 4.88's and it's pretty good. Not a rocket by any means, but get's the job done. I would NOT want to tow a trailer like the one in your picture with it. The 3FE is really easy to work on and doesn't have the head gasket issues many of the 1UZFE's had. 93+ had disc brakes in the rear. Both engines suck fuel.

1. Did the 80s ever come in black exterior?
Yes.

1. Do the later models have the LATCH anchors for kids' seats?
Anchors were standard in most vehicles in the 2000's. My 97 4Runner didn't have them and our 01 Mercedes E320 doesn't either.

1. Has anyone put three (3) kids' seats across the back seat?
We have two car seats in the 2nd row right now. It would be really tight to try and fit a third, but I'm sure it could be done. I know a guy who runs three seats in an XJ.

1. How many miles per tank are you guys actually getting and on what grade fuel?

I'm averaging 12.1 mpg this year. Best tank of 16.1 (downhill for about 220 mi at 55 mph). I've hit the 300 mi mark once so far. Usually am around 250-280. All on 87. I tried premium for a couple of months and it didn't help.

Take some time to read this.

I've had 1 XJ, 1 YJ, 2 TJ's, and 1 KJ over the years before I got my 80 last year. I will never buy another Jeep. I still have my KJ (Liberty), only because it is a diesel. Everything is right on the mark that is said in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom