I just love my baby chainsaw... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
got the little 18V Makita baby top handle chainsaw a bit back (XCU06 IIRC). It has a 10" bar I think.
I just used it a ton yesterday. That was just the ticket. It is so light and surprisingly powerful. It will cut just about anything 6" or less about just as fast as any of my bigger gas saws and is much more controllable. It is just so much easier to handle and therefore also less dangerous IMO since I get much less tired after a few hours.
Perfect for limbing on the ground, trimming low trees and bushes and of course fantastic to take up in the trees.
So a great purchase for me. And even more so considering I am already invested in the Makita battery system.
I have a very nice pro level small gas Echo climbing saw too but I'll use the little electric Makita first if I can at all. Just so much more convenient to use.
I had some tree guys come over the other day to do some fire reduction chipping and the guy sees the baby saw, he then tells me they have *20* of them...

Now, the other top handle Makita (2x18V) is about twice as fast per tests, but also bigger and heavier and more expensive, of course. That one should readily handle 10" and I may get one too before long as well.
I just saw that Milwaukee came out with one recently that appears nice too, although a bit bigger.

Anyway, if you only have bigger saws, maybe you ought to consider getting a small one, you may be pleasantly surprised, I was!

I used to cut lots of firewood and had a Stihl 056 magnum AV for many years. 36 and 42" bars with chisel chain and the runners ground off. Cut many 48" + firs with that saw. Loved that thing. Then I moved where I didn't need firewood nor did I have the time for it. So I sold that saw after it sat unused for years.

A couple years ago I picked up the cheapest little plastic toy 16" saw Stihl makes just for cutting our Christmas tree. Then I got back into riding dirtbikes in remote places. I strap that saw to my bike and it's been a total champ. Last weekend I spent a few days at my gold mining claim and that little toy saw ran through 3 tanks of fuel cutting multiple 12-18" trees off roads and trails and into firewood rounds.

I never thought I'd own a toy saw, but as I get older I appreciate a saw that doesn't weigh 50 lbs and I'm OK with 1.5 hp instead of 6.

I'd buy a battery saw if it fit my uses. I demo'd one at fastenal and it had good power.

If you need big power for big trees, you need a gas saw, no doubt. But for smaller stuff, I'm sold on Battery-powered, just so convenient not to have to worry about the dang carb and various odd bits, and older fuel concerns, and mixing, etc....

I'm totally sold on the worth of 18V or 2X18V light duty yard gear.

I have the 2X18V rear handle Makita saw and it's seen far more action than any of my Stihls. Same goes for the 2X18V Makita string trimmer. As long as you stay ahead of the cutting, it'll get the job done. With no need for EarPro. Less mess thrown on you. Light weight. And less damage to the fence posts. Also added the 18V hedger this year to tackle some areas that are overgrown with pricker bushes. Cut 'em off at the ground, then massacre the tangled mess with the flail mower on the back of the tractor.

I've been in the Makita carpentry tool ecosystem since the beginning. Only got into the outside tool stuff in the past 4 or 5 years.

there is also a newer 40V single battery top handle makita arborist chainsaw. It is reportedly similar to or maybe even a bit more powerful than the 2x18V one, but that is a completely different battery system, of course, so may not make sense if you are heavily invested already in the 18V system. TBF, both are probably a bit less performing than the pro battery arborist saws by Stihl or Husqvarna, but these latter 2 are far more expensive and reportedly suffer from battery issues (both technically and from apparently being made of solid gold...) from what I read.

Obligatory PSA: remember that top handle saws are inherently more dangerous than rear-handled ones, so caution may be in order if you are not familiar with the former...

I have the same little Makita saw. I’ve had it for about 10 years now and it’s always been great.

I consider it one of my best Makita tools. I’m also deeply invested in the Makita stuff and just upped my battery arsenal with the purchase of their new L-ion lawnmower, which came with four more batteries.

Whoa, timely post.

I have an old Jonsereds 451EZ saw that a friend gave me after he had shoulder surgery and couldn't yank on the cord anymore. I've been using it rarely over the years and it's been a champ but a PITA to get started. Just had some trees taken out on Thursday, he left me the logs for firewood. I had the saw out and it was really not running right, so just to be on the safe side I ordered the Makita 36V saw. Well... I just came in from fighting with that damn saw and it will not stay running more than 2-3 seconds. I pulled the carb and totally cleaned it, tried every setting I can think of with the jets, watched several YT videos... nope it will not play nice. Very frustrated!! I give up.

So here I sit waiting for the Amazon truck to show up. I am a Makita snob, I've have lots of their cordless tools (lost count), and now I'm up to (I think) 15 batteries, 10 of which are 5aH, so it was really the only choice for me. My son has both saws and is very happy with them. He keeps the baby one on his dirt bike in a scabbard.

they have had small arborist type 18V and 2x18V saws for a while now, but the XCU06 and the 08 seem a cut above the older ones. I think the XCU06 came out about 4 years ago, it runs the chain significantly faster than the 08, but is still 1/2 the speed at cutting. They say it's equivalent to a 22cc gas saw and the 2x18 something like 32cc or so from memory. If I'm not mistaken, I think the chains are the same on both so one could even swap bars and chains in a pinch. The 08 is something like 2 or 3 pounds heavier than the 06 I think.
I found that when limbing continuously, a 5Ah may last me something like 1/2 hr, maybe an hour if I take it easy. So with only 2 batteries I can't work all day. With 10, you are golden, especially if you have a dual charger!

May I ask where you bought the 2x18 if it was a good deal?

been talking about Makita here mostly cuz that's what I own, but as mentioned, Milwaukee is just coming out with a top handle small saw that seems comparable to the 2x18 or 40V Makita, likely a bit more powerful (I have not seen a direct comparison yet so hard to tell). It's the Fuel 2826 and from the little I saw/read it seems very nice, even if it looks very toyish. I would not call it a baby like mine, more like a small size. Here is one well-done review:

I remember a YT vid with a pro arborist reviewing it and seeming duly impressed. So, yea, Milwaukee fans, you get a small handy saw to drool over too...! And oddly enough, I don't think that Makita has 18V batteries bigger than 6Ah, so the 12Ah Milwaukee is a big (!) plus if you need one, but it must be heaaavyyy. Me I don't mind changing batteries, especially since that reminds me to refill the bar oil tank. FWIW, on my xcu06, with a 5Ah battery and the OEM (middle?) oil flow setting, I don't empty the oil tank when I empty the battery, maybe bring it down to 1/3 or 1/2 of max, so by refilling it every battery change I never run out.

Sheeesh, all this talk about saws and I'm starting to look at prices already. Like I need another chainsaw...

Unless you're a pro, how much go-time do you really need on a top handle saw?

well, I'm definitely not a pro but I trim, prune and cut down my trees myself. I do go up in the trees (ropes and all, great fun) and the top handle rules up there, but as I said, it also really works great when pruning and limbing on the ground, which is what prompted this thread. Although one drawback of a light top handle is the relentless urge to use it one-handed, which is not good...

Yet another bit on the baby XCU06: the manual says to use a 3/16" file but according to Oregon (which makes the chain) tech support that is a mistake and it really should be sharpened with a 4 mm or a 5/32". I suspect the chain on the 08 and 09 is the same so that may be the case for those too, but not sure.

I have the Dewalt 20V. I used one a friend has and was sold on it. Mine leaks bar oil like it has a screen door for the bar oil tank. Most say it is due to a missing o-ring around the cap but that is not the case with mine. I think it is leaking from a seam in the tank.

Still, with a sharp blade it is great for trail rides and cutting up some firewood or trimming around my property. It came with a 12" bar and I got a 16" from Baileys.

Used my 12” inch new Makita yesterday for small branches at it worked like a charm. Big believer for small stuff. Have good wood pile also with small branches Lying outside of the main pile, gonna trim that up and throw the remnants on main pile. Light enough to reach up and cut stuff.

that must be the XCU10. Same head as the XCU06 I believe, but with a 12" bar instead of 10". That's a recent addition to their line up. I think you'll find out it's fairly easy to bog it down if you push too hard on a biggish for it (6"?) limb. And it will overheat and shut down then. But easy to get a feel for.

I find it pretty nice for little branches, I’ll stick with big saw for all that.

been talking about Makita here mostly cuz that's what I own, but as mentioned, Milwaukee is just coming out with a top handle small saw that seems comparable to the 2x18 or 40V Makita, likely a bit more powerful (I have not seen a direct comparison yet so hard to tell). It's the Fuel 2826 and from the little I saw/read it seems very nice, even if it looks very toyish. I would not call it a baby like mine, more like a small size. Here is one well-done review:

I remember a YT vid with a pro arborist reviewing it and seeming duly impressed. So, yea, Milwaukee fans, you get a small handy saw to drool over too...! And oddly enough, I don't think that Makita has 18V batteries bigger than 6Ah, so the 12Ah Milwaukee is a big (!) plus if you need one, but it must be heaaavyyy. Me I don't mind changing batteries, especially since that reminds me to refill the bar oil tank. FWIW, on my xcu06, with a 5Ah battery and the OEM (middle?) oil flow setting, I don't empty the oil tank when I empty the battery, maybe bring it down to 1/3 or 1/2 of max, so by refilling it every battery change I never run out.

Sheeesh, all this talk about saws and I'm starting to look at prices already. Like I need another chainsaw...

I have the 16" Milwaukee and I love it. For working bigger jobs I go to my 20" Stihl. I love my Stihl, but it's so much nicer to run the electric for bucking

well, I could not resist. Saw a terrific deal on the 2x18V Makita top handle saw kit for Black Friday and got one. I got the XCU08, that's the one with the 14" bar. I figured that's better for climbing than the 16" (XCU09). Surprisingly, the powerhead is not that much bigger than the 18V XCU06.
I can't wait to try my 10" bar on the XCU08, though. Will be super convenient to carry around but much less likely to bog down than the little XCU06.

I guess if the XCU06 is a Baby chainsaw, then this XCU08 is a Teen. Not quite fully grown yet, but showing potential...!

wow! I tried the XCU08 for the first time today. That's the 36V. I'm very impressed. It feels easily twice as powerful as the baby one. It cuts at least twice as fast with the same chain and does not stall or bog down where the lil' one does. Barely bigger head, but feels quite a bit heavier, because of the double batteries primarily I think. I had the 10" bar on it and it was going through 8" pepper tree limbs like they weren't there. Very nice. I'm tempted to say that had I bought this one first I would not have to buy the smaller one., just the smaller bar; but I'm sure that I would feel the difference after a day up in a tree. So it will be nice to have both. What a pleasure not to have to deal with the damned carbs, those are like medieval torture...

I don’t use electric but for 42 years I used a stihl farm boss with 32” bar. As I have lost a bunch of strength and endurance, AND the 42 year old saw died, I replaced it with a M180 or MS180C …you pull the starter and it loads the spring and spins the crank…lightweight and 16” bar. The oaks on our property are between 10” and 24”. It does well

I am no longer fighting the weight of the big saw. The best part was it was the same owner of the shop and when I stopped it…i complained that I bought this from you 42 years ago and now it’s not working…probably a cheap copy of something… we both laughed and I walked out $220 lighter. That was 4 years ago and the saw is good for me

I don’t use electric but for 42 years I used a stihl farm boss with 32” bar. As I have lost a bunch of strength and endurance, AND the 42 year old saw died, I replaced it with a M180 or MS180C …you pull the starter and it loads the spring and spins the crank…lightweight and 16” bar. The oaks on our property are between 10” and 24”. It does well

I am no longer fighting the weight of the big saw. The best part was it was the same owner of the shop and when I stopped it…i complained that I bought this from you 42 years ago and now it’s not working…probably a cheap copy of something… we both laughed and I walked out $220 lighter. That was 4 years ago and the saw is good for me

I plan to get a similar saw. My brother purchased a ms170 a couple of yrs ago and is a de-light to use. At a couple hundred bucks, it seems to be a hell of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom