Chainsaw covered in tree sap... What now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Oh brother....
I like to keep my chainsaws really clean. Makes me feel at peace with the world...
But not feeling that much at peace today...
Was out there, clearing some giant Myoporums (I think) bushes, like 30' tall. With limbs up to 10" in diameter or so. Whenever I'd cut one of those, there would be white rubbery sap all over the place. That stuff would drip out of the cut limbs like a faucet. Didn't pay too much attention at first but then my gloves started to stick to the handles and before I knew it, I realized the saw was covered in the goop.
Tried to clean it with little painful success. Tried both alcohol and WD40 so far. Sorta worked a bit but not well at all. Scrub and scrub and scrub still and nowhere close to finished... Ran out of WD40 too.
Reluctant to try more aggressive solvents like brake cleaner, acetone, and all given it's all plastic. Gonna try mineral spirits next.

Any idea of what would work well to remove sticky (Myoporum) white rubbery sap from plastic? (And dried pine sap too while you're at it? - another story-)

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't have either one of those to try, unfortunately. I have not had much success with Goo Gone in the past, though, TBH. I should try baby oil on pine sap, then.

That white sap stuff really hardened fast and like a rock, dang. Will be more careful next time. 2 pairs of gloves and all.

But I finally managed to clean it up with paint thinner. Worked OK. Not like it immediately and easily removed it all, still had to scrub, but much better than with alcohol or WD40. Does not seem to have damaged the plastic or the handle rubber. Plastic is Nylon 6 with 30% glass fibers from what I see. Pays to buy from a good company (Makita in this case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom