I DID IT!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to all my Oregon mudders for sending me truck annoucements and helping me realize that it takes patience to find the right truck!!!

Thanks to the rest of IH8MUD for all the posts and information.

1978 FJ40 I believe all pretty much original and a 2 owner truck. Runs amazing for 169K and drives great. The rust is not as bad as others I looked at and needs some cosmetic stuff done.

Any suggestions would be gladly taken and anything I should know or do as well.

It has disc brakes in the front but the brakes are tough to push down and don't stop as great as other trucks I drove. PO said something about power assist????

Better pics to come.
fj401.jpg
fj402.jpg
fj403.jpg

Looks great.:D I bet the color would even out with a good wax job:hillbilly:

The most likely issue with the brakes is the vacuum booster. The diaphragm or seal is likely leaking. There are many options for replacement... I can't comment the newer options. I replaced mine with a newer 40 one about 17 years ago.

Looks great.:D I bet the color would even out with a good wax job:hillbilly:

The most likely issue with the brakes is the vacuum booster. The diaphragm or seal is likely leaking. There are many options for replacement... I can't comment the newer options. I replaced mine with a newer 40 one about 17 years ago.

Waxing this weekend and thanks for the booster advice. Is the bezel supposed to be black or a different color?

Nice looking cruiser. For brake power assist, first check the vacuum to the brake booster and make sure you are getting good vaccum there. If not, fix clean carbon out of vaccum fitting on engine side. More likely problem is with booster leaking, but I've seen carboned up fittings on later 2F engines that kept the brakes from working as they should.

congrats!

that rig looks perfect,,, my favorite color too

i wouldn't change a thang,,, except, maybe flippin the tires to blackout and letters in

ALWAYS Letters in, black wall out. I thinks it gives it a "mullet" look with white letters out..."hey check out my tires man..." :hillbilly:

Rear wheel cylinders may be frozen and might not be helping the stopping at all. Try to adjust your rear brakes and if you can't turn the adjusters from behind the backing plate they're probably frozen and will need to be replaced or upgraded to discs.

I'd start with baselining all the fluids and doing a tuneup. Looks great :)

Nice shorty. I like the colour too more than I would of thought.

Is that an OEM wooden chock.:clap:

congrats!

that rig looks perfect,,, my favorite color too

i wouldn't change a thang,,, except, maybe flippin the tires to blackout and letters in

What is the color called? And is the bezel just white or does it have a certain color?

I personally vote against waxing it, just to keep it a little more rustic looking. That said, if you do want to wax it I'd use a cleaner wax or use something else first to take care of the oxidation (which is the main reason for the differences in color) before waxing.

Nice looking 40!

Nice I love it

Looks like there's been some touch-up painting going on. The quarter in that very first photo looks like unwaxed 653 to me. The rest of the brown looks - too brown. Did you check the tub for a paint code? And the hood looks like something else again.

Nice truck - any pictures of the inside?

Last edited:
Nice find! You get it here in Oregon? Congrats. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures. If you ever wanna cruise that thing down to Salem let me know. My buddy and I work on mine pretty much every weekend. Would love to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom