I broke it... need some help fixin' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I recently acquired my first FJ ('70) out of Texas a few weeks ago and hauled 'er back up to Colorado. I had a local shop give it a once over and left with a good bill of health. We headed out to the National Forest this past weekend for a half-day of gettin some mud on the tires and seeing what the ol' cruiser could do.

All-in-all she did pretty good but toward the end of the trip (still on dirt road) I noticed some mechanical noises coming from what sounded like the driver side wheel. I pulled over and grabbed the tire and gave 'er a good shaking... it felt like the lugs were loose. I checked the lugs and all were snug. Uh oh... loose hub?

We made it the 5 miles or so @ 5 mph back to asphalt (all the while I was watching the front driver-side wheel wobble with a grimace on my face) and parked in a flat parking lot.
Pulled the wheel, grabbed the hub with both hands and pulled it loose... yard sale of loose greasy bearings and mangled metal rings...

I've since had the cruiser hauled back to the house on a flatbed (thanks AAA) and am now starting to pull it all apart to figure out how to get back on the road.

Looks like I broke the front axle outer shaft, amongst other things...
These shots were taken at the parking lot... I'll post more of the cleanup and teardown.

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg
IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2794.jpg

How do I remove the knuckle to remove the outer shaft?
The steering spindle won't budge.

Wiped down before disassembly
IMAG0509.jpg

Oil retainer removed
IMAG0511.jpg

Brake backing plate removed
IMAG0515.jpg

Closeup of broken front axle outer shaft
IMAG0516.jpg

Steering knuckle spindle
IMAG0524.jpg

Knuckle from behind
IMAG0525.jpg

ahem, that birf is toast - there are no splines left :doh: :frown:

I can send you one of my spares for a good price

In your second to the last photo, you've removed the nuts from the top knuckle studs, but the cone washers are still in place and they are holding the steering arm on. You need to remove the cone washers and then the steering arm will come off which should allow you to remove the knuckle.

I'm definitely interested in parts... it was a 6 spline, WARN locking hubs (the hub that was on this is pretty mangled inside) Don't know whether to just replace this side with another, or upgrade to...? AISIN? Good/Bad/Sin?

You need to remove the steering arm to give the knuckle enough room to move up and over the trunnions bearing. By the way I have the parts you need. There's an ad in the classifieds, or you can PM me.

In your second to the last photo, you've removed the nuts from the top knuckle studs, but the cone washers are still in place and they are holding the steering arm on. You need to remove the cone washers and then the steering arm will come off which should allow you to remove the knuckle.

I figured that might be the case; I saw them, but couldn't figure a good way to remove them... what's the best method?

Take a brass drift and give them a whack. They'll pop right out/up...

Unless you want to keep her pure, it's probably the right time to be thinking about disk brakes in the front. You need a locking hub, spindle, birf , and more than likely trunions. And that's just on the one side. I'd start working the clubs, CL, or wherever for parts, read guppy's writeup, and get it done. By the time you buy what you already need $ wise, you're mostly there. Just sayin'

lefty b

I was thinking that would be my first real upgrade (disks)...
Just not sure I'm ready to take something like that on myself.
I haven't even had 'er a full month yet...

join your local club - check out the Clubhouse section here on MUD

develop an idea what you really intend to do with the truck

I was thinking that would be my first real upgrade (disks)...
Just not sure I'm ready to take something like that on myself.
I haven't even had 'er a full month yet...

changing to front disc's is no more complicated than putting what you already have apart, back together. There are a number of good posts on the forum on using a donor front axle from an early minin truck for the knuckles, hubs, birfields, etc.

If you're in the Front Range than Rising Sun is a fantastic and very family-friendly club. I was a member in the early 90s and still maintain friendships with many members. Jeff Zepp is a driving force there and is an extremely dedicated Cruiser Head. Their annual swap meet is a great source of parts and socializing too, though you just missed it this year.

...probably the right time to be thinking about disk brakes in the front.
...read guppy's writeup, and get it done.
lefty b

I've spent the last 15 minutes looking for this thread... can't get results for user "guppy" -- can someone provide a link?

Now I'm thinking more about the disk brake / axle upgrade -- anyone in the Colo Spgs area that wouldn't mind swinging by to give me some pointers? I'm near the Olympic Training Center.

So I had another couple of hours yesterday evening and was able to remove the knuckle once I got the cone washers loose. I can't get the steering arm off of that one bolt though... I'd like to in order to clean the bearing up and replace the bushing. It doesn't look like the knuckle/bearing/sleeves are damaged to me.

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0536.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom