I broke it... need some help fixin' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleanup of the removed parts.
Inspecting for further damage.
What not to do to your Birfield & Spindle.
Can't figure out how to remove damaged spindle & bearing. Do I need a special tool to remove from the rear of the drum?

IMAG0540.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

Cleanup of the removed parts.
Can't figure out how to remove damaged spindle & bearing.

Why bother, that looks pretty much wasted.

Do I need a special tool to remove from the rear of the drum?
Do you mean remove the spindle from the backing plate? Its already as disconnected as its going to get, if its stuck just give it a whack.

If you are asking about removing the bronze bushing, I dont know if there is a special tool or not, I just heated up the spindles (some people use their oven to do this type of thing, I just used my gas grill and placed the spindles on the top rack). The bushings are press-fit into the spindle, so they may take some persuasion to remove.

You might want to go ahead and take the "good" side apart, so you can see what is supposed to be where.

Do you mean remove the spindle from the backing plate?

Yes, this is what I mean. The end of the mangled spindle is essentially flared out and I can't pull off the "ring" or "bearings". I don't wanna throw out the backing plate or the bearings if I can have them for spare or re-use.

You might want to go ahead and take the "good" side apart, so you can see what is supposed to be where.

Agreed; I am probably going to do that this wknd to check the condition of the passenger side.

In hindsight; I guess I could just cut that spindle in half with a sawzall or chopsaw.
Once I've got the bearing off, the spindle is only held onto the backing plate with the "press-fit" bushings?
BFH it loose?

To get the spindle of the drum back plate, you don't need to cut it in half. I's just stuck on there because it's been there for 30 odd years. Just wack it.

Don't know if you're plan replacing knuckle bearings, but I would. There's already some wear damage showing on the top bearing outer race.

When you're going to remove the lower knuckle bearing, you mind want start gently tapping in a grind down putty knife. My PO had a chisel fetish and I think I spent more time filling down burrs than actually assembly and disassembly

Like many here have said you may as well upgrade to later model knuckles and disk brakes. It will give you a stronger birfield and disks. 1973Guppies review was great for me, I followed it step by step in my grandparents garage and had my knuckles, birfs, and disks updated and new seals and bearings throughout in 2 days.

Find a set of FJ60 knuckles or an fj60 axle for sale and swap the whole knuckle assembly and birf over. You'll need to clearance inside your knuckle balls for the 60 series birf to fit with a bit of grinding. Best investment you can make in an early 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom