HZJ75 Suspension for both light AND heavy loads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am building an overland camper on the base of a 1994 HZJ75 pickup.
The camper box will be demountable, so I will also be using the truck without the heavy camper box.

I just weighed my truck and it is 2100kg unloaded, but with the camper box it will be more like 3000kg

I see 4 main options and proberly a couple of combinations.

1: just drive with the original suspension. Hard and just horrible without the full weight of the camper, but will handle the full load nicely.

2: Take out a leaf in each corners and then add a airbag suspension to manage the extra weight of the camper box.

3: Buy a complete set of OldManEmu leaf springs and shock absorbers. Get the 51-110 front leaf springs and the +400 leaf springs for the rear.
These should be better than the original. But somewhere in the middle and therefore not really good for the heavy load and not really comfortable with no load.

4: Get a complete set of MEDIUM OldManEmu leaf springs and shock asorbers, and then ad a airbag suspension to handle the weight of the camper box.
Nice and smooth ride and with the added Aribag should be able to handle the camper box.

I would really appriciate your input.. What would you do or have you been in the same situation?

Test drive.jpg

Lad.jpg

Camper design.jpg

My vote and what I have in the past for a vehicle that will be driven with out being fully loaded all the time. Is to set up the suspension to the "light load" and add air bags to the rear suspension and inflate them when needed.

Golden Boy, our 91 diesel pickup, came with random, broken, mis-matched front leaf springs that it took me a while to find. I added a mechanical winch and then spent some time on ToyoDIY and learned that these diesel pickups have, at least for the front, two different spring setups with a different number of leaves, depending on load. I found a set of the heavy duty type and put them on because of the extra added weight of the winch. Ride wise it is pretty stiff but I'm fine with it. Personally, I'd go with the heavier duty stock springs for the front. I personally would rather have a stiff suspension with all that weight high up. I'd be worried about it wallowing and swaying more than I'd be worrying about ride comfort. I realize this may not be all that helpful to you, but thought I would throw in my two cents anyways. Good luck on this great project!

Last edited:
Golden Boy, our 91 diesel pickup, came with random, broken, mis-matched front leaf springs that it took me a while to find. I added a mechanical winch and then spent some time on ToyoDIY and learned that these diesel pickups have, at least for the front, two different spring setups with a different number of leaves, depending on load. I found a set of the heavy duty type and put them on because of the extra added weight of the winch. Ride wise it is pretty stiff but I'm fine with it. Personally, I'd go with the heavier duty stock springs for the front. I personally would rather have a stiff suspension with all that weight high up. I'd be worried about it wallowing and swaying more than I'd be worrying about ride comfort. I realize this may not be all that helpful to you, but thought I would throw in my two cents anyways. Good luck on this great project!
Thank you for you input. I think you might be right about the stiffer front spring.

Hello,

75 Series have different factory leaf spring setups for both front and rear axles.

From the pictures your truck appears to have the 10 leaf setup. Yes, it is harsh, but it handles loads such as a camper very well. There is an 8 leaf setup, if I remember correctly, but there is not much difference.

I would use a heavy setup, factory or aftermarket, if I would put a camper in the back. For use without the camper, I would consider a bed with some extra weight, 100 lb or so. It is better to have a beefy suspension setup than dealing with broken leafs -which, by the way, have a habit of failing when you least expect it.

Removing leafs may soften the ride but it is more trouble than it is worth. Adding airbags involves fabrication and, if you go down that rabbit hole, air supply.

For use without the camper I would use a medium setup, factory or aftermarket.

Juan

Hello,

75 Series have different factory leaf spring setups for both front and rear axles.

From the pictures your truck appears to have the 10 leaf setup. Yes, it is harsh, but it handles loads such as a camper very well. There is an 8 leaf setup, if I remember correctly, but there is not much difference.

I would use a heavy setup, factory or aftermarket, if I would put a camper in the back. For use without the camper, I would consider a bed with some extra weight, 100 lb or so. It is better to have a beefy suspension setup than dealing with broken leafs -which, by the way, have a habit of failing when you least expect it.

Removing leafs may soften the ride but it is more trouble than it is worth. Adding airbags involves fabrication and, if you go down that rabbit hole, air supply.

For use without the camper I would use a medium setup, factory or aftermarket.

Juan
True. But we will be on the road for a longer time and I will not be able to change the leaf springs.
We will mostly have the camper on, but will be leaving the camper of when staying in on place for a while and will then be exploring in the truck without the camper box.

OME HD (add a leaf to get+600 kg rear) is what I have in my 75 ser Troopy and it works well and is comfortable.

I do lots of dirt roads, and 20 years ago nearly rolled a Discovery going around a steady corner, all of a sudden bouncing sideways into the ditch and bush... (all these particular roads are corrugated, except for a sweet time after grading).. I pulled over white faced expecting a flat tyre, but nothing... found one airbag had deflated... so nothing one side, and pushing up the other side... It was not visually very noticeable, but was damn dangerous. Later when removing, we found many fine small sharp rocks embedded into the bag, from getting in between the bag and springs, or holder retainers, and slowly abrading away, unknown to me the owner. Great for onroad situations... but for offroad I will never use them again.

Great for onroad situations... but for offroad I will never use them again.
That was very interesting, TC. I certainly would not have anticipated but now that you say it, it makes sense. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom