HZJ75 GVM upgrade with minimal mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, i would like to do a gvm upgrade on my 1992 HZJ75 ute. I want to get as high a gvm as possible without changing or modifying the engine or major stuff like that, however I'm fine with changing the suspension, brakes, strengthening the frame etc. What mods would i have to do and what gvm am i going to get?
Thanks in advance

I can only assist you in terms of technical upgrades, when it comes to road legality i am only familiar with the process in Switzerland.

I guess your vehicle is not registered in Switzerland?

So to give you some advice i need a few informations as your question is not specific at all.

What are you planning to do with your vehicle? What weight are you expecting? Is your weight changing a lot (driving empty and other times carrying heavy loads) or is it more a constant weight?

A suspension must always match the weight of the vehicle, there is no solution that works for all weights (except air bag suspensions which i do not recommend unless really needed...)

I can only assist you in terms of technical upgrades, when it comes to road legality i am only familiar with the process in Switzerland.

I guess your vehicle is not registered in Switzerland?

So to give you some advice i need a few informations as your question is not specific at all.

What are you planning to do with your vehicle? What weight are you expecting? Is your weight changing a lot (driving empty and other times carrying heavy loads) or is it more a constant weight?

A suspension must always match the weight of the vehicle, there is no solution that works for all weights (except air bag suspensions which i do not recommend unless really needed...)
I forgot to clarify, but this is in Australia.
I don't know what weight i'm expecting, thats what im trying to figure out here. The weight will definitely change a lot.

Hello, i would like to do a gvm upgrade on my 1992 HZJ75 ute. I want to get as high a gvm as possible without changing or modifying the engine or major stuff like that, however I'm fine with changing the suspension, brakes, strengthening the frame etc. What mods would i have to do and what gvm am i going to get?
Thanks in advance
NOTE: This is in Australia

Which state are you in? NSW has a list of approved engineers (others will do the same as well), so you're quickest bet is to ring one of them up and ask what they are looking for as that's who will be signing off on the GVM increase.

I've got to talk to our local one today, to see what I can come up with for our BJ70 that's getting a 13B-T in it to replace the 3B (Increase in power, change to forced induction, may or may not be an engine that was an option in that model according to the specification sheets so it's a bit unclear)

Before you even think about GVM Upgrade you must know what weight you are expecting! Maybe i can help you to approximate the weight.
What are you planning to do with your vehicle?

@Paddler Ed thank you for the advice, it is absolutely necessarily to talk to a local engineer and make sure the mods will be street legal. i have some contacts in Brisbane and Sydney if that helps

Before you even think about GVM Upgrade you must know what weight you are expecting! Maybe i can help you to approximate the weight.
What are you planning to do with your vehicle?

@Paddler Ed thank you for the advice, it is absolutely necessarily to talk to a local engineer and make sure the mods will be street legal. i have some contacts in Brisbane and Sydney if that helps
I'd like to be able to tow my HJ45 at least

So are you looking for a GVM upgrade (the maximum the HZJ75 can weigh) or an upgrade on the towing capacity (from 2500kg to 3000-3500kg), and subsequently the GCM?

If you're looking to increase the tow capacity, then I think you're going to be out of luck. The load you're looking at towing is going to be marginal at being under 2500kg based on my HJ45 weight and the trailer I normally use (my FZJ80 has a 2500kg limit as well).

For a GVM upgrade (which won't change what you can tow) you'll have more luck.

So are you looking for a GVM upgrade (the maximum the HZJ75 can weigh) or an upgrade on the towing capacity (from 2500kg to 3000-3500kg), and subsequently the GCM?

If you're looking to increase the tow capacity, then I think you're going to be out of luck. The load you're looking at towing is going to be marginal at being under 2500kg based on my HJ45 weight and the trailer I normally use (my FZJ80 has a 2500kg limit as well).

For a GVM upgrade (which won't change what you can tow) you'll have more luck.
Definitely towing capacity. 2500kg wouldn't be bad, i at least want something better than 2100kg

AFAIK Kaymar rear bars have a towing capacity of 3500 kg

Check this out:

You probably have to check with your local engineering office if that works

AFAIK Kaymar rear bars have a towing capacity of 3500 kg

Check this out:

You probably have to check with your local engineering office if that works
yeah, problem is that the car cannot legally tow above 1.2 tons even even if it had a 3.5 ton tow bar

OK i am not aware about the Australian laws. But anyway it might be worth a try to give Kaymar a call maybe they have a solution...

In Switzerland the 75 land cruiser can have a towing capacity up to 6 tons with the right engineering documents btw 😅

OK i am not aware about the Australian laws. But anyway it might be worth a try to give Kaymar a call maybe they have a solution...

In Switzerland the 75 land cruiser can have a towing capacity up to 6 tons with the right engineering documents btw 😅
Wow, nice!
Ill look into it
Ive towed an entire big tree with mine no problem

Wow, nice!
Ill look into it
Ive towed an entire big tree with mine no problem
Have you contacted an engineer from this list yet?

They will tell you what can be done to increase the towing capacity legally in Queensland with a blue mod plate, in line with the details in the book found here:

You need to talk to someone who can do LS16 (Vehicle modification codes (Department of Transport and Main Roads) - https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/business-industry/Accreditations/Approved-Person-Scheme/Vehicle-modification-codes)

This is the one that you need to make sure is doable:

Until you've had those conversations, you aren't going to get an answer of what is possible in QLD.

Have you contacted an engineer from this list yet?

They will tell you what can be done to increase the towing capacity legally in Queensland with a blue mod plate, in line with the details in the book found here:

You need to talk to someone who can do LS16 (Vehicle modification codes (Department of Transport and Main Roads) - https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/business-industry/Accreditations/Approved-Person-Scheme/Vehicle-modification-codes)

This is the one that you need to make sure is doable:

Until you've had those conversations, you aren't going to get an answer of what is possible in QLD.
Sorry, i keep forgetting, im looking into it now

Also keep in mind ,h55f , your gear box, does not like towing in 5th gear. You will kill 5th towing.
Yeah, the manual says to only go up to 4th while towing. Is it just a weak gear or something?

My HZJ78 is legal for towing 6 tons in Switzerland. It has a compressor, tank and connections for air brakes on a trailer. I’ve never used it for towing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom