How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does this dongle allow all the programing techstream does (like door locks etc.)?
yes, it does everything Techstream does. I think it's a better-built cable so I have heard that it works for stuff the cable didn't work on like TPMS. I was able to assign my TPMS ID's to ECU with this. I was not able to do it with the regular cable.

I bought one of these after trying the cables: Amazon product ASIN B078N34ZPW The cables worked for me once or 2x and it stopped working. I did some tests on the cable when it stopped working and it said it was not recognizing 2 of the 4 wires or something to that effect. Luckily I was in the return window and I was able to get a refund. I have been using this VXDIAG one for about 2 months and have zero issues. I love that I can connect wirelessly. I plug in the device, walk over to my garage work desk and use the laptop there. It's much sturdier than the cables. The ODB port is not in a good location. I used to struggle pulling out the little cable and scratch my fingers up each time. Not a big deal but annoying. Its one of those, you get what you pay for and one I said I should have just spent the money the first time. Its Amazon, buy it and return it if you don't like it. Good luck.
Received it, updated it, and..... IT WORKS!! Thank you for the recommendation.
1683219991450.png

So basically this takes the place of the cable, but you still need techstream on your computer correct?
Correct, this is the cable/interface between your computer and the vehicle. Still need TechStream.

Is there any way we can get better version? I need 15 or higher to run the AC Amplifier Reprogramming.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the thread. I used a burner MAC with big sur and it installed right up following the instructions. Used a cheap amazon cable. It did not want to connect (vim error). All I had to do was go "activate" the USB input on the virtual machine that windows XP was running on the MAC. Just choose inputs then USB. Then it connected right up! Stick with it, it wasn't as scary as I thought.

So quick question for you all running techstream. I have a 2004 gx470. I purchased the cable off of Amazon and am running version 1.4.8 and techstream 16.000.07. In the yellow settings I’m not getting a vgrs option, I’m trying to recenter the steering wheel. Do I need a newer version or what? Have read on the forum where the steering angle adjustment is in the vgrs tab. Any help is appreciated

So quick question for you all running techstream. I have a 2004 gx470. I purchased the cable off of Amazon and am running version 1.4.8 and techstream 16.000.07. In the yellow settings I’m not getting a vgrs option, I’m trying to recenter the steering wheel. Do I need a newer version or what? Have read on the forum where the steering angle adjustment is in the vgrs tab. Any help is appreciated
Not sure if it's different for GX. For mine, I had to go to VGRS section, then click on utility on the left to get adjustment menu

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- I have sold out of my cables and supply chains are back in order, so no reason to purchase more. Anything like this will work: Mini-VCI cable on eBay

Step 2: Download Hypervisor
Step 3: Install Software You Just Downloaded
  • Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
  • MacOS:
    • Intel Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer
    • M1/M2 Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, drag to Applications folder

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- Windows / Intel Mac: LINK
- M1/M2 Mac: LINK

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (04/08/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Edit (10/30/22): M1 Compatible workflow / updated virtualbox links
I followed all instructions and got an error "Failed to open a session for the vbirtual machine TECHSTREAM 12.20.024" I am attaching a picture of the details of the error. Please advise on how to correct this error. Thank you.
VIRTUAL BOX ERROR.jpg

I followed all instructions and got an error "Failed to open a session for the vbirtual machine TECHSTREAM 12.20.024" I am attaching a picture of the details of the error. Please advise on how to correct this error. Thank you.View attachment 3324441
Same, or at least similar issue with my laptop.

Got a windows 7(64bit) and I get this:

FA2A646A-FBB8-42E0-A37C-F9390695931F.jpeg

Didn’t get my cable yet, which should come with a disc. Not sure if it’ll work without virtualbox, but I have tried everything to make TS load in the Virtualbox, and nothing worked, including installing older versions..

What OS you have?

I used the instructions at the top and they worked perfectly. Connected to my vehicle. Unfortunately, when I was going through the setup, I could only select up to a 2018 land cruiser and mine is a 2020. Anyone know how to get a newer version of techstream that I can import to the virtual machine and use it with my 2020?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom