How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why is techstream such a nightmare for some people but for others it works without a hitch? We are all following the same instructions..
The only variables are the vehicles, the cable and computer

I just don't get it.
I can get it to work briefly then it just keeps dropping the cable and not recognising it anymore.
I've even bought another computer to rule that out but it hasn't helped.

Why?

If anyone can get Techstream working for me via teamviewer I'll pay you.
I can't seem to get the drivers recognising the cable no matter what I do..

My AHC is stuck in low and the family is due to go for a holiday in 1 day. Any help would be hugely appreciated

I use Ubuntu Linux as my host OS.
I know for Virtual Box to have access to the USB ports your login ID has to be added to the "vboxusers" group.
Perhaps there is a security setting in Windows that allows similar access by the VM?

So I got it working. I put up on Airtasker and found someone with real computer skills who got it going for me.

What turned out to be the problem was that in the virtual Machine USB1 was selected and this created an unstable connection. Once USB 2 was selected it was clear sailing.

I wish if I did this 2 weeks ago

Thank you, @getco - this really took about five minutes to set up on my 2017 MBA running Big Sur using my leftover ebay cable I had used with a cheap Winbook for the last six-ish years.

This is amazing, thank you for the effort!

I finally got techstream running on virtualbox with my old Mac. It recognizes zero AHC codes with all doors shut and car idling on flat surface. The data states diff lock ON but there is no light illuminating. Any thoughts? I'll attach my report using tech

Attachments

• TechStream.pdf
    24 MB · Views: 102
I gave up on mine after it kept throwing the error and shutting the application down. I installed and uninstalled the application many times, no success on it working once opened. I’ll end up paying someone local to assist me on obtaining what I need.

nevermind, i had to install the updated verison of virtualbox. it works now just need to connect to cable and car when i get some free time.
I was having the same issue, you have to update Virtualbox to version 7.0.6 to run the techstream vm.

Last edited:
Additionally, once I got the VM running and Techstream up, I could not connect to my LC until I swapped which USB port the cable was plugged into. Once I did that it all came together.

Not quite Techstream in 5 minutes, but Techstream in a day or so, so be vigilant, it can be done! Either way thank you to the OP for building a very useful tool for us.

Ok so I DLed to my newer Mac and bought a cable off Amazon. It seems the windows is recognizing the cable when I have power on but it’s giving me the VIM error. Any thoughts? Sorry if it’s mentioned before but this is a monster of a thread hahah

Ok so I DLed to my newer Mac and bought a cable off Amazon. It seems the windows is recognizing the cable when I have power on but it’s giving me the VIM error. Any thoughts? Sorry if it’s mentioned before but this is a monster of a thread hahah
Two problems I ran into were, make sure the ignition is in the ON position and try a different USB port on the computer.

That's all I have for you man, it took me a few days of f***ing with it to get it to work, but that's how I solved my VIM error.
O also forgot to ask, do I update it? It’s asking me about an update but have no clue on how to do it? Thx

Recently picked up an LX 470, wanting to get AHC adjusted properly. When pulling up TechStream with the following cable, I am unable to check the AHC codes.
Cable I purchased: (it is advertised as 1.4.8, the cable shows 1.4.1) Amazon product ASIN B097YC5LSR
Does anyone have a recommendation on a more recent cable that I can actually read the AHC codes with?
1682996979545.png

Recently picked up an LX 470, wanting to get AHC adjusted properly. When pulling up TechStream with the following cable, I am unable to check the AHC codes.
Cable I purchased: (it is advertised as 1.4.8, the cable shows 1.4.1) Amazon product ASIN B097YC5LSR
Does anyone have a recommendation on a more recent cable that I can actually read the AHC codes with?
View attachment 3312533
I bought one of these after trying the cables: Amazon product ASIN B078N34ZPW The cables worked for me once or 2x and it stopped working. I did some tests on the cable when it stopped working and it said it was not recognizing 2 of the 4 wires or something to that effect. Luckily I was in the return window and I was able to get a refund. I have been using this VXDIAG one for about 2 months and have zero issues. I love that I can connect wirelessly. I plug in the device, walk over to my garage work desk and use the laptop there. It's much sturdier than the cables. The ODB port is not in a good location. I used to struggle pulling out the little cable and scratch my fingers up each time. Not a big deal but annoying. Its one of those, you get what you pay for and one I said I should have just spent the money the first time. Its Amazon, buy it and return it if you don't like it. Good luck.

I bought one of these after trying the cables: Amazon product ASIN B078N34ZPW The cables worked for me once or 2x and it stopped working. I did some tests on the cable when it stopped working and it said it was not recognizing 2 of the 4 wires or something to that effect. Luckily I was in the return window and I was able to get a refund. I have been using this VXDIAG one for about 2 months and have zero issues. I love that I can connect wirelessly. I plug in the device, walk over to my garage work desk and use the laptop there. It's much sturdier than the cables. The ODB port is not in a good location. I used to struggle pulling out the little cable and scratch my fingers up each time. Not a big deal but annoying. Its one of those, you get what you pay for and one I said I should have just spent the money the first time. Its Amazon, buy it and return it if you don't like it. Good luck.
I have already started the return process for the mini vci cable that I purchased through Amazon. It was kind of strange to me, it would read some things just fine, but other things, like AHC codes, it would just throw an error. I will order the cable you mentioned and give it a try. Will report back here. Thank you!

Does this dongle allow all the programing techstream does (like door locks etc.)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• uHu
Back
Top Bottom