How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered the cable online that came with a techstream version 15. I did get this error a lot. I think its the USB cable/driver not recognizing the cable. The error on the techstream help said its the cable connection. I checked to make sure its not loose on either side and it made no difference. The only thing that worked was running the driver update again and unplug usb/back in combination. Thanks to OP @getco) , the TS solution worked more consistently than the local install. Make sure you turn off the virus scan at least when you launch the tool. Make sure your laptop is NOT connected to the internet since you are turning off virus scan. I will try to document steps if it happens to me again. Good luck!!
Thank you @Giovanna145 I'll give it a shot!!

Hello, all!
Does anyone know if this can connect to 2023 vehicles or is there an update to do so? Thanks everyone for your help, you all rock!

I'm trying to install the factory remote start. And the installation guide has me connecting a diagnostic plug. And going thru a set up. Before I even touch tech stream. But I cam never get the sequence correct to even flash pass or fail

help anyone? am I supposed to add techstream to virtual box via (+) plus sign? I tried opening it but it crashes when the mini screen windows xp starts up. Also changing it to windows 7 dont seem to change the boot up. Do I need the cable connected to car and laptop to boot?

help anyone? am I supposed to add techstream to virtual box via (+) plus sign? I tried opening it but it crashes when the mini screen windows xp starts up. Also changing it to windows 7 dont seem to change the boot up. Do I need the cable connected to car and laptop to boot?

nevermind, i had to install the updated verison of virtualbox. it works now just need to connect to cable and car when i get some free time.

If anyone made a breakthrough on an M1 Mac using UIM and the imagine in the first (updated) post let me know. I can get the XHorse tool to recognize my USB cable (one I've previously used successfully with VirtualBox on an Intel Mac a couple of years ago) but it's giving me the Unable to Connect to VIM error message.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 9.59.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.00.25 PM.png

If anyone made a breakthrough on an M1 Mac using UIM and the imagine in the first (updated) post let me know. I can get the XHorse tool to recognize my USB cable (one I've previously used successfully with VirtualBox on an Intel Mac a couple of years ago) but it's giving me the Unable to Connect to VIM error message.

View attachment 3253170

View attachment 3253171
Not on a MAC but I remember I had to play around with the firmware tool. In techstream, change it to a different VIM setting, reinstall the firmware, change it back to right one. Possible run the firmware reinstall one more time. Good luck!!

I decided to stop trying to get the M1 Mac version to work and instead just purchased a cheap PC laptop and it works a charm!

At first I was looking at used laptops but frankly people want quite a lot for their old junk and on any old laptop the battery is likely to be suspect. I ended up giving this one a try for $154 on Amazon - Amazon product ASIN B081V6W99V
Quite a few updates on arrival and it actually has Windows 11. Definitely not the fastest machine in town but fine for its purpose. Switched it out of S mode so it can run third party apps and installed Python and then VirtualBox and TechStream worked a charm first time with no crashes! Now to fix my AHC :)

PXL_20230228_040031655.jpg

PXL_20230228_040137123.jpg

PXL_20230228_032835192.jpg

Does anyone else get communication errors whilst using Techstream?

As soon as i connect to the ECU, techstream starts giving communication errors- it communicates for about 10 seconds, then stops!

Just wanted to say thanks to the original poster @getco for putting together the pieces that made this all work.

This afternoon my cheap amazon cable arrived. Previously I created a virtual xp on my dell win10 laptop, so today it was simply a matter of plugging it in.

My JDM uzj100 doesn't do obdII so being able to query the ecu was invaluable for me! (I was confirming a failed ignition coil on cylinder number 2).

It also gives full access to AHC, etc. I haven't tried it on my diesel 90 series yet (kzj90) but I see no reason why it won't be able to at least read dtc's if I ever find it necessary?

So thanks to all who've contributed to this thread, and esp getco!

Cheers
Phil
Hey Phil,

I'm resurrecting a rather old post of yours here, apologies - I'm seeing a lot of data on this thread but am not 100% on the newest (and least expensive) products/software needed to interface with a JDM land cruiser. Could you point me towards the cable you purchased?

Extremely long time lurker here. For once I might have something to contribute rather than leeching off everyone's knowledge.

I got Techstream to work on my M1 Mac with the downloads linked in the OP and this cable off Amazon.

Like others, I got stuck with getting Techstream to open and recognize the connection. In the end, I found a second image of the Techstream program in the start menu. Using that second launch button, I was able to get into Techstream (ignore any prompt to add a product key) and switch over the USB preference to MVCI, which then allowed me to connect my cruiser to the Techstream app via the launch button on the virtual machine home page.

I installed the virtual machine and the TechStream LINK. It tries to open in the VM, pops up then closes and said “Aborted”. Attached is what it says. Anyone encountered this? Is this a problem with the file/link or my laptop?

ACE163A6-868D-40F3-96D6-D4EAA677309A.jpeg

I noticed on my 99 LX470 that many of the terminals where you plug in the scanner have no contact in them.... Its like one in 3 terminals are blank. IS this normal?

I got it all working after a week of bashing my head against a wall and now the usb ports on my computer wont pick up anything I plug in including the cable :(

Extremely long time lurker here. For once I might have something to contribute rather than leeching off everyone's knowledge.

I got Techstream to work on my M1 Mac with the downloads linked in the OP and this cable off Amazon.

Like others, I got stuck with getting Techstream to open and recognize the connection. In the end, I found a second image of the Techstream program in the start menu. Using that second launch button, I was able to get into Techstream (ignore any prompt to add a product key) and switch over the USB preference to MVCI, which then allowed me to connect my cruiser to the Techstream app via the launch button on the virtual machine home page.
et555, any more information you can provide? I have the same cable and am running into the same issue with my M1 Mac. Where did you find the second image? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything.

et555, any more information you can provide? I have the same cable and am running into the same issue with my M1 Mac. Where did you find the second image? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything.
Scratch that, found it but still does not work for me :(

If this helps anyone in the future, here’s how to get to the second Techstream that et555 is referring to.

Start > All Programs > Techstream Diagnostics > Techstream > Setup > VIM Select > XHorse - MVCI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom