How to tap the switched power from the moonroof / sunroof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hooking up my scion/gentex auto-dim mirror with homelink and ran into a problem that no one seems to have answered. Does anyone know the location and the easiest way to tap into the switched power source for the moonroof? I thought I had a good source from the 6 pin connector under the map light but when the mirror is plugged in it activates the moonroof so obviously it is completing a loop and triggering the relay. I have the moonroof wiring diagram so I know there is a source of switched power in there before it goes it the moonroof replay I just don't know how to go about getting access to it without taking lots of stuff apart. And since it is me, a picture is worth a thousand words.

It looks like you should be looking for a blue with a black trace wire at the moonroof relay near the motor. The constant power that comes from the fuse block is switched through a relay that is controlled by the door lock relay. Maybe a little more complicated circuit than you were expecting (me too:D).

Sorry, short version: blu/blk at sunroof control relay behind map light (30 amp circuit):)

Cool, I'm glad someone can read those diagrams. I'll go check it out after the new episode of BSG is over. I pulled some stuff out earlier but couldn't confirm a power source with anything behind the wires for the map light/ moonroof switches.

I found a blue wire with a black stripe up inside and to the left. I haven't been able to get at it very well to test to see if it has power. I'll re-attack tomorrow after some thought and rest.

Not sure if it will help but I took a photo of my spare sunroof for you.
I think that's the blue wire you're referring to that goes to the blue connector.
In the photo, I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe the position of the blue connector and the two wires leading to it may not be correct - I only put them in that particular position for the photo.
Good luck.
DSCN3275a.jpg

That picture does help. Can you tell if that blue wire that loops around has a black stripe on it? The one I found is not pictured very well but could very easily be connected.

Thanks to all who provided help/ideas :cheers:. Hopefully these pictures will help everyone else.

First picture shows all hook ups. Constant power is the gray wire in the lamp/ control wiring. Ground is hooked to the screw up top (use 8mm socket, the Phillips head easily strips out) and the switched power goes up and to the left.

mirror power.jpg

Second picture better shows the switched power. It was the blue wire with black stripe. It was a pain getting in there to add the wire tap but worth it so I didn't have to run the wire down to the cigarette lighter or something.

Mirror switched power.jpg

Last picture shows final assembly more or less. While I was in there I added a stealth radar detector power cord. It needs switched power and ground but I ran those from the mirror plug-in before I even went out to the vehicle.

I mounted the radar detector by adding some Plexiglas behind the original mirror mount cover. As someone earlier mention 1/4 Plexiglas is the correct thickness to pop the old cover back on after adding some washers to get the spacing right. I also need slightly longer screws when using the Plexiglas spacer. 5mm IIRC.

If you have any questions please ask now while my memory is fresh.

mirror final.jpg
mirror power.jpg
Mirror switched power.jpg
mirror final.jpg

Last edited:
One last lesson learned: When you get the mirror button location centered go back one more time and put the mirror in place and bend it as you would so you can see out the rear of the vehicle. Then pull the sun visors down next to the mirror to make sure it is a good spot. Forgive my mixing metric and inch but at least 100mm down and about 1/4" left of center is the ideal spot once the mirror has been adjusted properly.

Last edited:
Very cool. Your the only other one I know of that has done this besides CDan. Do you have a part number or model of Scion that the mirror came out of? How long did the entire install take?

I am actually selling one in the parts section. Part #PT374-21050:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/265040-scion-autodim-rear-view-mirror-nib-nd.html

I'm not sure what model scion but all auto-dim mirrors are very similar. The hardest part is deciding what option you want. I like Homelink because it gets rid of the remote on the visor. If you can find a used one that is pretty cheap as long as you can also get the wiring.

All together it took me a couple days but a lot of that was back and forth looking at wiring diagrams, asking questions and then going back with my tester to find power. If I had to do it again I would say less than 2 hours including the time to put the button on and let it dry.

Nice job and write up.

Wiring the mirror to the roof motor was cool and now this should be much better for those that follow.:popcorn:

That picture does help. Can you tell if that blue wire that loops around has a black stripe on it? The one I found is not pictured very well but could very easily be connected.

Sorry I'm late with this, but (on this '93 sunroof) it's the white wire (running alongside the blue) which has the black stripe. The blue wire has gray/silver bands up and down the length of it.

Thanks for doing this write-up.

Thanks for the write up and the mirror kit wearsabrowncoat.

I just installed the kit you sent me and it took about an hour (had an issue with the mirror knob staying attached to the glass:bang:) aside from that. Wiring, trimming, and install were a sinch! I would rate this a :banana: job.

Here are a couple of photos of the finished product. I really like the LED position, it does not blind you at night as well it has a amber night light that makes finding things very nice. Well worth the money IMHO.

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool, Thanks. I have the home link and outside temperature display in the Sienna, and kinda miss them every time I drive the cruiser... Now I will need to get my hands on one of these mirrors.

to do this (tap the power), you need an 18-22 g t-tap. This part is not available at most autoparts stores but can be had at a Radioshack.

I'm hooking up my scion/gentex auto-dim mirror with homelink and ran into a problem that no one seems to have answered. Does anyone know the location and the easiest way to tap into the switched power source for the moonroof? I thought I had a good source from the 6 pin connector under the map light but when the mirror is plugged in it activates the moonroof so obviously it is completing a loop and triggering the relay. I have the moonroof wiring diagram so I know there is a source of switched power in there before it goes it the moonroof replay I just don't know how to go about getting access to it without taking lots of stuff apart. And since it is me, a picture is worth a thousand words.
I didn't see anywhere which model gentex you are running? Do you know the model #?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom