How to check machines shop work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Had a full rebuild done on my 2F and am assembling it with a mechanic today. Machine shop already put together the bottom end and part of the cylinder head. What is the best way to check their work? I consider taking it all apart because I don’t fully trust them or know them, but the mechanic said we don’t have the tools for this the measuring ones that is.

What is the best way to check the work that they did without disassembling the lower end? Anything basic that can be done before we go assemble the engine?
Thanks
beehanger

you can use something called plastigage to check the clearances on the crank bearings. Use a straight head to get a sense of "flatness" on machined surfaces. check the torque on critical fasteners. Go through the 2F engine manual and make sure small yet critical items are there (the oil nozzle on the front plate that oils the timing chain.

What @2mbb said.

If you really want to know for sure, you're going to at least have to pull the oil pan and plastigage the main and rod bearings. While you're in there you can also check the crank and rod thrust clearance.

You shouldn't need much for tools - just some plastigage and a dial indicator with magnetic base.

Things that can be checked, end play on the crank for one look inside the block if it's clean and check all treads and most important the oil galley plug on the cylinder head near #5 cylinder if they don't know bout it you can still do it now while everything is apart.

Last edited:
Things that can be checked, end play on the crank for one look inside the block if it's clean and check all treads and most important the oil galley plug on the cylinder head near #5 cylinder if they don't know bout it you can still do it now while everything is apart.
I’ll look into it.
The ****ers didn’t out the guide sleeves in the truck so we continued without them. Mechankc said it was fine. Is this bad news? Missing two head bolts too, so I guess we could take the head off again if I can find some

I’ll look into it.
The f***ers didn’t out the guide sleeves in the truck so we continued without them. Mechankc said it was fine. Is this bad news? Missing two head bolts too, so I guess we could take the head off again if I can find some
Had to stop early today due to lack of head bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom