How to Change FJ62 Dash Color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I got stuck with a new grey dash from ToyotaPartsDeal.com. They automatically "substituted" the grey part number for the brown. Never opened the box for 48 days. They wont take it back after 30 days.

So what material would you use to change the color of the dash to Sephia Brown? I have the spray can version but I don't think it would last. It tends to peal easily on plastic parts I have sprayed. Maybe a sealer over the paint? Ideas?

There’s a method for this. I’m not familiar, but @iCruiser is a pro. Maybe he can chime in with his recipe.

try selling the grey one and see if they have a brown one to buy.

SEM color coat is amazing stuff. It seems it would be a shame to have to put it on a brand new dash...but it would work well.

I would sell it to another mud member and then buy a used brown one. Even a used grey (seems to be more available) would be a better candidate for paint. They are only new once :).

I got stuck with a new grey dash from ToyotaPartsDeal.com. They automatically "substituted" the grey part number for the brown. Never opened the box for 48 days. They wont take it back after 30 days.

So what material would you use to change the color of the dash to Sephia Brown? I have the spray can version but I don't think it would last. It tends to peal easily on plastic parts I have sprayed. Maybe a sealer over the paint? Ideas?

Lets back up a second .......

why did they substitute a different color for the one u ordered ?

were u notified of this color code change prior to shipment and your credit card being charged

i would stop for a second and maybe hold them accountable for this , well i would not call it a mistake , i would have harsher words

i would check my receipt and see if it mentions this Substitution topic , and if u did or did not receive a phone call from these
folks

I would call the dealerships General Sales Manager & explain to him / her the issue , there is also a Owner of the dealership too

I worked for Toyota Dealerships for 12+ years during and after T-TEN College , and i can tell u this was a key punch error by some rushed or stressed parts guy and NO fault of your own

dont settle for A spray painted dash , get what your were supposed to get , what u ordered , The Right Correct toyota part# & color code

u can charge back your credit card for up to 60-90 days in most cases

my 2cents

The SEM system does work very well for painting plastic. Have had great success refreshing many interior plastic pieces. The center console looks brand new and shows no wear or scratches after a year of so of use. Key is following the steps with proper preparation. Make sure the plastic is super clean by aq thorough washing with Dawn or similar dishwashing soap. After drying, follow SEM plastic prep spray. Then the most important step is using the appropriate plastic adhesion promotor spray. Apparently this material chemically melts a micro layer of the plastic which you immediately follow up with the first color coat. Allows the paint to get in the plastic and not just on top. You need to use the correct promoter spray depending on the type of plastic (i.e. ABS) being painted. Their are two different promoters. Below is a photo of the products mentioned. The SEM website is a great place to learn about each product. Their Customer Service is great too if you have any specific questions.
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_4196.jpg
IMG_4215.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_4196.jpg
IMG_4215.jpg

Last edited:
Lets back up a second .......

why did they substitute a different color for the one u ordered ?

were u notified of this color code change prior to shipment and your credit card being charged

i would stop for a second and maybe hold them accountable for this , well i would not call it a mistake , i would have harsher words

i would check my receipt and see if it mentions this Substitution topic , and if u did or did not receive a phone call from these
folks

I would call the dealerships General Sales Manager & explain to him / her the issue , there is also a Owner of the dealership too

I worked for Toyota Dealerships for 12+ years during and after T-TEN College , and i can tell u this was a key punch error by some rushed or stressed parts guy and NO fault of your own

dont settle for A spray painted dash , get what your were supposed to get , what u ordered , The Right Correct toyota part# & color code

u can charge back your credit card for up to 60-90 days in most cases

my 2cents

This ^^^.

@gray90turd What @RAGINGMATT alluded to is a Chargeback. If you say the magic word of "I will just call my credit card/bank and do a chargeback" you will be amazed what a vendor will do.

I work in online-payments professionally. Every chargeback costs the vendor $15 - 45 in penalties and time to fight the chargeback, plus they lose the money -its refunded back to you, unless they can prove they did not make an error. Also you have about 180 days to issue a chargeback. Depends on if it was Visa, MasterCard.

Good Luck!

You're just having no luck with this truck are you! geez!

I would also second the advice to press them on their "automatic substitution" before proceeding.

I've used the SEM paints on plastic and can also second the advice on prep. It will flake like you mentioned, if you don't.
But on something as sun-beaten as a dash, I think I'd want the right color to start with, just to be safe.

Hope things turn around for you on the 62!

Here is the link to Toyota Parts Deal's return policy , It was well written by a High End Lawyer

i could have missed it , but i did not see anything about when it's " There Fault " o_O

Help Center - Toyota Parts Return Policy

I love this , It make s me want to pick up the phone and spend my money there on parts i need for my shop :mad:

5. What if my return is rejected?
If returned item(s) does not pass our guidelines, or does not have an RMA form indicating prior authorization, your return will be denied. If a returned part is damaged during transit back to our facility, it will also be rejected. In either case, the customer has the option to have the returned item(s) shipped back at their expense. Your package will be held for 14 business days after we receive it before being discarded and after this time, we are no longer responsible for the item(s).

No better advertisement for our trusted MUD vendors than that bs if'n you ask me...

This ^^^.
No clue. It’s not even close to reality. “Let’s just ship what ever the hell we can and see if they catch us...”. I’m very disappointed with this company. Sure- I should have opened the package within the specified period of time but, I wasn’t ready to install it yet.
Substituting a completely different color is just nuts!! Go to their site and see the part numbers for the dash. They make it seem you CAN order the brown dash even though they don’t have it. Discontinued.

Part Description Pad Sub-Assy, Instrument Panel Safety
SEPIA BROWN,TRIM4#

Replaced By 55401-90A05-03

On their website it's very clear that it's replaced by 55401-90A05-03, Shadow Gray. But I don't understand how they can substitute a different color.

If I remember correctly Brown has been NLA for a few years, if you want a new brown dash, you got to paint it.

You'd be surprised what a little sanding and paint can do. I have painted many parts on my cruiser and they look great!! Theres no reason to return the grey IMO. I would match the color you want and do that up. The great thing about owning a cruiser is all the cool custom work you can do including painting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom