FJ62 Dash Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there. I just bought an OEM dash pad for my FJ62 (I found the best price on CityRacer, fyi). I have been looking for instructions on how to take the old one off and install the new one but can't seem to find anywhere. The old one almost feels glued on. I did take out the two screws at each end near the A pillars but that did little to loosen the pad.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

You'll have to remove the glove box, HVAC bezel and the gauge panel entirely to get to all the nuts and bolts holding it in place. It's a chore, but as far as brain work it's easy. Removing the steering wheel makes moving around to remove and install the pad easier too.

As you're installing the new one, only install nuts and bolts loosely to allow for fine adjustment of the pad's position, then you'll start by tightening down the forward-most nuts that secure it to the body sheet metal, followed by fasteners (can't remember if they're nuts or bolts) on the inside at the far ends, then finally the vertical supports and radio brackets.

You'll have to remove the glove box, HVAC bezel and the gauge panel entirely to get to all the nuts and bolts holding it in place. It's a chore, but as far as brain work it's easy. Removing the steering wheel makes moving around to remove and install the pad easier too.

As you're installing the new one, only install nuts and bolts loosely to allow for fine adjustment of the pad's position, then you'll start by tightening down the forward-most nuts that secure it to the body sheet metal, followed by fasteners (can't remember if they're nuts or bolts) on the inside at the far ends, then finally the vertical supports and radio brackets.
Spook 50, thanks a million for that info. Very helpful. I also hope to better understand how to reinstall the original factory radio once the old pad is out.

The factory service manual has complete instructions.

It’s easy. Takes 1 hour. Not bad.

Cruisermatt. Of course. I forgot all about the manual. Feeling less than smart. It's on page BO-88. The diagrams are for the 60 so I hope the radio install is fairly obvious when I get in to it. Thanks!
Installation of a head unit in a 62 is pretty dang easy.

Installation of a head unit in a 62 is pretty dang easy.
Unless you're like me and going to have to run all new speaker wiring and plan to install two amplifiers 😂

I use to do that on multiple vehicles a day at a stereo shop
Well yeah you did it professionally and I'm sure had it down to a science. Me I see running any wiring as a chore, especially when it's replacing wiring that I had installed improperly in the past, before I really knew what I was doing :bang:

Well yeah you did it professionally and I'm sure had it down to a science. Me I see running any wiring as a chore, especially when it's replacing wiring that I had installed improperly in the past, before I really knew what I was doing :bang:
Lol yeah started working there at 17 years young as s*** week out of high school had only worked on my own stereo system for a couple years then every vehicle made hate German cars as stereo installation goes Hondas and Toyota easy and did all the aftermarket stuff for Honda Toyota gm Ford dealerships. In my prime I could do alarm system with remote starter in half an hour on Hondas. We were a very busy shop along with custom work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom