How to Change FJ62 Dash Color (1 Viewer)

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Some imperfections that maybe only I"ll notice, but overall pretty pleased. Here's the dash after UV Colorbond:

Recap: Dawn soap, SEM soap, SEM Vinyl Prep, SEM Color Coat and ColorBond UV Protectant.

IMG_7725.jpeg

IMG_7726.jpeg

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
That looks awesome! I'm going to do this same project on a grey dash for my 60 that a previous owner spray painted a crappy glossy dark brown. I have been using discount store oven cleaner to remove the PO's crap paint job and will be getting the SEM products to re-do the job. I was debating between the Bluebird Brown (SEM PN#15483) and Cordovan Brown (SEM PN#15023). There's an auto paint supplier not too far that I can visit to compare hues, but I was wondering if you could share how many containers/aerosol cans of the SEM soap, SEM vinyl prep, SEM Color Coat, and ColorBond UV Protectant you needed to do the project? Also, now that its warming up here in the Southwest, how has the paint performed over the past month, assuming you have reinstalled it by now?

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Hi...just happened to be online at the same time and I've been thinking about the color and finish. I have a full windows-out paint job scheduled for late summer and I've held off installing the dash while I do other fiddly things. One of those things was to fix the cigarette lighter, so I removed the A/C bezel which coincidently has a small bit of the original vinyl which matches the original dash, but is sheltered from the direct sun.

Here's a picture of the new grey OEM dash painted SEM Cordovan brown and the A/C bezel side-by-side: Notice the deeper vinyl grain and richer chocolate-brown color and glossier appearance of the A/C bezel piece. The SEM dash is rather muted in comparison. Doesn't look bad though, just different a little. For sure, I'll need to paint my A/C bezel piece to match the new dash pad.

To answer your questions: I used about 1/5 or less of the soap and hardly touched the vinyl prep. A little seems to go a long way. I used less than 1 can of Color Coat and a similar amount of UV Protectant. I bought a second can of the color coat for other parts and think that will give me plenty for the entire car.

Even though I haven't installed the part based on what I've read the SEM paint job should hold up for years, especially with the UV protectant. It's all about the prep work.

IMG_8080.jpeg

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
Wow, thank you for posting that comparison photo. I actually like the satin, low gloss finish of the SEM paint better than the OEM finish :) Especially for the dash where you (I, at least) don't want any glare from the sun bouncing back up at me. I have my broken up original brown dash and will take it with me when I go check out the color hues of brown I am considering. Thank you for letting me know about the quantities of the materials that were needed for the job. That lets me budget better :)

I've used Cordovan Bronw SEM with great success throughout the interior. The pic below compares to a dash I refinished with Cordovan Brown to an OEM pad I'm just beginning to restore. I used the SEM prep, texture, color and clear spray can products on this dash. Very pleased with the outcome.

IMG_4418.jpg

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
Looks great. Thank you for the vote of confidence on the Cordovan Brown. I'll be going with that over the Bluebird Brown for sure now.

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
Today's discussion inspired me to get going on this dash restoration. Luckily, there doesn't appear to be major damage to the dash and there looks to be a good basis for the SEM Cordovan brown paint. I also wanted to share this link from a tuner forum on painting plastic and vinyl that includes links for buying SEM products on Amazon, should anyone else wish to undertake a similar effort in the future: Absolute Proper Way to Paint Plastic/Vinyl Interior Parts for the DIYer - https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/absolute-proper-way-to-paint-plastic-vinyl-interior-parts-for-the-diyer.365304/

By the way, I found that 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol removes the spray paint much more effortlessly than the oven cleaner I was using.

1620278901549.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom