How much trimming of lower body work is needed for 2013 LX-570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at possibly getting a pretty clean 2013 LX-570 that has really cherry body work and paint. For obvious reasons, I don't want to butcher it with a haphazard trim for some random bumpers.

With a 20 degree rear departure angle, I know I will be in trouble if I don't do something. I will be doing 34" tires and a mild body spacer lift (3/4"?) to clear the tires. This will help a little on the rear departure angle but, I don't think it is enough to make a real difference.

What are my better options without getting into something radical? Basically, I don't want to destroy body panels on rough gas pump access points or on heavily rutted somewhat rocky trails either. I have been stuck in both mud and sand in the past as well so, while a concern isn't a huge one for the most part.

I am debating this versus a series 80 LC or LX-450. The LX-570 would crush highway miles a lot better and has an 8500lb tow rating so, big wins there. However, while the series 80/LX-450 gets bad fuel milage, we are only talking ~13MPG vs ~16MPG at best and likely a bit less overall. While the series 80/LX-450 is a tad smaller overall, that is a win/lose proposition depending on specifics. The series 80/LX-450 for more aggressive mods and harsher running seems like the obvious choice but, I am also not likely to want to go somewhere I can't go in an LX-570 so, here I am trying to understand LX-570 mods to make it more suitable for harsher running than the local shopping mall or golf course.

Realistically, I should probably consider front and rear bumpers with some rock sliders. How much body and metal work am I really looking at?

TIA,
Sid

Sliders are always a good idea. As for bumpers, I’m of the mind that you might as well beat the stock plastic up until it NEEDS to be replaced, then do some real bumpers. You’ll most likely need to trim and recycle some parts of the bumpers to fill gaps with metal ones, so it’s not like preserving them for resale is a consideration.

I am looking at possibly getting a pretty clean 2013 LX-570 that has really cherry body work and paint. For obvious reasons, I don't want to butcher it with a haphazard trim for some random bumpers.

With a 20 degree rear departure angle, I know I will be in trouble if I don't do something. I will be doing 34" tires and a mild body spacer lift (3/4"?) to clear the tires. This will help a little on the rear departure angle but, I don't think it is enough to make a real difference.

What are my better options without getting into something radical? Basically, I don't want to destroy body panels on rough gas pump access points or on heavily rutted somewhat rocky trails either. I have been stuck in both mud and sand in the past as well so, while a concern isn't a huge one for the most part.

I am debating this versus a series 80 LC or LX-450. The LX-570 would crush highway miles a lot better and has an 8500lb tow rating so, big wins there. However, while the series 80/LX-450 gets bad fuel milage, we are only talking ~13MPG vs ~16MPG at best and likely a bit less overall. While the series 80/LX-450 is a tad smaller overall, that is a win/lose proposition depending on specifics. The series 80/LX-450 for more aggressive mods and harsher running seems like the obvious choice but, I am also not likely to want to go somewhere I can't go in an LX-570 so, here I am trying to understand LX-570 mods to make it more suitable for harsher running than the local shopping mall or golf course.

Realistically, I should probably consider front and rear bumpers with some rock sliders. How much body and metal work am I really looking at?

TIA,
Sid

Not sure if some of your statements are in jest? A LX on 34s is already going to be really capable. Add in 3/4" BL, which isn't really necessary for that tire size, and it'll clear most everything. It also has AHC to lean on making for 2.5-3" lift on demand. So adding that together is 1.5" tire + .75" BL + 3" AHC is a formidable 5.25" total lift.

Also consider that with larger tires, it not only lifts, but pushes the extents of the tire faces forward and backward increasing approach, breakover, and departure in more ways than just height.

To answer your question for additional options, it's easy to do a 1-2" sensor lift on top of that all. Making for 7.25" total lift if you were to max it all. I'd also encourage you to go all the way to 35s, which could stack another bit of lift.

The 80-series is apples to oranges in my mind as is not in the same league in many more typical use cases. Rock crawling is probably not really a job for a LX570 with cherry bodywork either?

Don't forget that AHC can be modified for long travel - check out the link in my sig.

Don’t over think it my guy. Get out there and see what the limits are. 34”, AHC high, sliders will take you to some pretty wild places and your shiny bits will still be shiny.

I finished reading a good post about someone from the FAQ page who did 34" and 35" to an LC200 that has some issues with his KDSS system.

I also watched a YouTube with a couple who trashed their body work in the rear and added a bumper/slider but, still have a respectable amount of body damage. They both spoke highly of their LX-570 though and seemed to take it to places similar to what I envision and were really happy with it there. They also spoke highly of crushing big mile days on the Interstate to make sponsored commitments for their various YouTube sponsorships in it that were not really possible with previous vehicles.

I'm not trying to make a Rock Crawler for King of Hammers or Moab but, I also want something capable to going tougher places without undue cosmetic damage. This YouTube video I watched and reading various posts here have suggested the LX-570 may be a better vehicle for me than a series 80 LC. I still keep my eye on them though and kinda wish I had acted sooner on the one in Colorado that recently sold and went to California that was prepped so nicely and sold in the mid-$20K range.

The LC has KDSS, which works through the sway bar system.

The LX has AHC, which is active KDSS on steroids that works through the shocks.

KDSS can be a limitation to tire size the way it's implemented on the LC. Making it harder to go beyond 34s.

The LX has more clearance for larger and wider tires, in additional to more lift potential.

Think you would be happy with the LX on 33's and the AHC adjustment. I know I am and sounds like I use mine for the same thing you do. Still have yet to get sliders, but aside from that and skids I want it to look more stock than anything trimmed up.

I went with a complete Slee build when I bought my '06 100 series and regretted it right from the get go even though we owned Moab Brewery and spent a lot of time in the Four Corners area. The LX is much more capable and if you do damage a bumper you can easily fix or put on an after market bumper. I just bought a '14 LX and am going to start with sliders and will likely leave it at that for the life of the truck. If you want to look, that is another issue. My 2 cents.

I understand the hesitation with pristine body work. As with all cruiser wagons (including the 80), the LX570 has a big butt and likes to drag it over things. Unlike previous generations, there is a lot more plastic back there and if you look at the 200/LX570 in profile, the bumper plastic is indeed quite a bit lower than the 100 or 80. But putting it in AHC high and driving carefully will get you through most "normal" departure situations. The real tough trails are going to mess up the plastic--no way around it.

20230810_181612[1].jpg

Mud flap removal is a good starting point. I also remember people bobbing the front bupper for additional clearance.

No way I’d compare a 200 to an 80. The 200 is so much better in comfort and is pretty dang capable out of the box.

Wowsers we are in same boat! Im bout ready to pick up a MINT 570 done under 100k kms. Foreign owners and no accident damage. Im at a loss as to what to do to get some better/bigger tires on there. I live in a weird spot and on a private road that CAN, not always but CAN, get a river running through it that I simply need 35s to cross. I have 2 BJ42s already as well as a massive F350 diesel and same truck but with a flatbed camper. If I leave my place for a few hours and we get juuuuuust the right combo of rain and snow melt, its like a river coming down the road and I am NOT fixing it 100% until I finish work on my place and theres not giant trucks and equipment coming and going which will be at least another year. Im scrolling through MUD for HOURS now and cant seem to find the exact right thing to do. But will soldier on and if anyone can think of anything quick and simple and available in Canada let me know lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom