How to clean throttle body on LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '14 LX 570 that I think it has never been cleaned. It's now 183K miles. I saw this guy removed the throttle body on his Tundra; however, I don't know if for the LX 570 it can be removed like that and if I should even if I can. I've also watched the Car Care Nut guy and he said that if you removed the throttle body you also need to replace the gasket. If so, does anyone know what the part number is for the gasket for a '14 LX 570? Many thanks in advance!

Gasket for a 14LX is 22271-38010 and note that it has a built-in metal mesh screen to catch foreign objects before they enter the manifold. It uses a formed silicon gasket that can often be reused.. I did once at almost 200k, but yes it is better to replace it if possible.

The job itself should be almost identical to that video, except he has a 4.6 vs your 5.7.. they are very similar in this area. Disconnect the battery, intake piping (note a couple small hoses that go to the noise attenuation boxes over the passenger side valve cover), electrical harness to the TB, then the four bolts that hold it to the manifold. I would not disconnect the cooling hoses to it.. you should have plenty of room to clean things with those still attached.

The video has some good notes, especially about being gentle with the throttle plate.. don't want to strip any gears. But yes you can open it against the spring and get access to clean things. I've found that soaking a sleeve of an old t-shirt in the solvent and scrubbing with that does a great job of removing the gunk without just smearing it around.

PLEASE put a towel or something into the intake manifold to block tools/rocks/leaves that can settle in there while you have the TB disconnected though.. in the video he leaves it wide open and that's not a great idea.

Gasket for a 14LX is 22271-38010 and note that it has a built-in metal mesh screen to catch foreign objects before they enter the manifold. It uses a formed silicon gasket that can often be reused.. I did once at almost 200k, but yes it is better to replace it if possible.

The job itself should be almost identical to that video, except he has a 4.6 vs your 5.7.. they are very similar in this area. Disconnect the battery, intake piping (note a couple small hoses that go to the noise attenuation boxes over the passenger side valve cover), electrical harness to the TB, then the four bolts that hold it to the manifold. I would not disconnect the cooling hoses to it.. you should have plenty of room to clean things with those still attached.

The video has some good notes, especially about being gentle with the throttle plate.. don't want to strip any gears. But yes you can open it against the spring and get access to clean things. I've found that soaking a sleeve of an old t-shirt in the solvent and scrubbing with that does a great job of removing the gunk without just smearing it around.

PLEASE put a towel or something into the intake manifold to block tools/rocks/leaves that can settle in there while you have the TB disconnected though.. in the video he leaves it wide open and that's not a great idea.
Thank you so much for the tip especially the last part...yes, he didn't cover the intake manifold in his video.

i think the 4.6L and 5.7L tbs are identical. I bought a 5.7L land cruiser TB and put it on my GX460 and drove around for 3 years with it. Same ID and everything.

i think the 4.6L and 5.7L tbs are identical. I bought a 5.7L land cruiser TB and put it on my GX460 and drove around for 3 years with it. Same ID and everything.
That’s interesting.. I know the air box and intake piping is a different diameter for 4.6 vs 5.7 based on someone’s factory snorkel install. Also in the video the 4.6 didn’t have mesh integrated into the gasket.. but that doesn’t mean the TB isn’t the same.

That’s interesting.. I know the air box and intake piping is a different diameter for 4.6 vs 5.7 based on someone’s factory snorkel install. Also in the video the 4.6 didn’t have mesh integrated into the gasket.. but that doesn’t mean the TB isn’t the same.
No my 460 did not have mesh. The part numbers are different but it plugs right in and works like stock

Tweak to the above post.. it was for a Donaldson filter install, not a snorkel.

But yeah that’s interesting about the TBs, especially ID being the same.

Anecdotal but a friend’s tundra is having low idle issues right now probably because the TB needs cleaning. It’s a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom