How much slip is ok on a typical Toyota driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the Toyota LC joints? There are actually quite a few :D

We stock 5 common aftermarket Japanese joint part numbers that roughly 20 OEM numbers supercede into. The largest being the UJ36030 which is the common "4 speed" joint. It has 32mm caps, 94mm on the cross. The smallest of them (not including the steering and PTO u-joints we stock) is the UJ36011, commonly known as the "3 speed" joint. It has 28.5mm caps, 78.5mm caps.

As for the slip. The more spline you can have engaged, the better. It's well within reason that a factory slip-joint will work however long-spline ones are so easy to source that it might be worth considering just to take the guess work out of your setup.

View attachment 1806418
Part# UJ35050 - $232.50 - Cruiser Outfitters

Thanks for posting that, I had no idea you offered a long-slip kit. I was about to order the Fail Gear kit!

I run my rear at ride height where you have full droop marked. I think that set up has plenty of travel for your set up.

I’m bringing this thread back because I may have left some miss information here and for the benefit of future search results and linking to my Dusty the Mini Truck build thread. I was led to believe by the drive shaft shop this part
PowerTrain Industries - 1343-20L
had a land cruiser sized u joint, to be specific, the equivalent to Dana spicer part 1511.

I ordered it, $500 later it turns out it came with at mini truck u joint, Dana spicer equivalent part 1510. At this point I am now stuck with a $500 part that isn’t up to what I want. One method forward was to spend $1000 + and start over with a new custom 1350 shaft with long slip and try and find a 1350 conversion CV for it which was also really elusive around here. 1310 CVs are available in all Toyota flanges, but I’m holding out for 1350 sized joints. As I mentioned in previous posts the LC sized (1511) has the same cross and slightly larger caps than 1350 u joint so I wanted to use one or the other.

The solution was to get a machine shop to graft the old LC 1511 yoke on to the new PTI long slip. They cut locating rings and a v notch with a lathe then tig welded it together, for $165 labour. This is not the way I would have gone if I would have had the correct info on the long slip to begin with, but I think it will work just fine.

Here are before and after to help illustrate:
Before, PTI long slip package on top, LC rear shaft slip on bottom
15A13C17-8607-47BA-AEB0-6F8C2EBEA070.jpeg

After, the welded slip yoke in the middle, left over PTI yoke on top and LC slip on the bottom
91E2786F-B37E-41FD-A283-EE1F53628B2C.jpeg

Any thoughts on how this will hold up? Not that I really have a choice but to run it and find out for myself.....

I would have just run the mini-truck joint. My rear driveshaft has them on both joints, and my front will too when I build it. In facts tons of guys I run with use the minitruck joints with no issue.

Why did you spend $500 on that slip yoke kit when Cruiser Outfitters sells what looks like the exact same thing for less then half the price?

The guy is from alberta. 232.00 US with shipping is pretty close to 500.00 CDN dollars. We kinda get the shaft when it comes to buying anything toyota in canada or really anything parts wise from the states. I think you would have been fine with the slip you had in your original post. Linked suspensions don't push the limits of potential slip measurements like leaves do. They are more accurate when cycling for testing. Leaves do all sorts of different things in the real world. Hard to cycle through all potentials sometimes with leaf springs.

The guy is from alberta. 232.00 US with shipping is pretty close to 500.00 CDN dollars. We kinda get the shaft when it comes to buying anything toyota in canada or really anything parts wise from the states. I think you would have been fine with the slip you had in your original post. Linked suspensions don't push the limits of potential slip measurements like leaves do. They are more accurate when cycling for testing. Leaves do all sorts of different things in the real world. Hard to cycle through all potentials sometimes with leaf springs.

Ah, didn’t realize that was $500 Canadian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom