How many of you have basically never had any serious issue with your 80's? (1 Viewer)

How much maintenance have you done on your 80?

• Practically none, <$1000. No serious issues at all.

Votes: 89 50.0%
  • Between $1001-$2000.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Between $2001-$3000.

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Between $3001-$4000.

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • More than $4001 dollars.

Votes: 27 15.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't have much to say that hasn't already been said on this site, but after reviewing my 97 LX450 cost spreadsheet my "must spend" costs on non-mod, non-pm items stands at about $2500 including parts and labor. These are items that would have stranded me or made life difficult to continue using the truck as a DD.

That mostly covers some seals, power steering pump, brake booster, starter, radiator, and e-brake replacement and is at indy mechanic rates as none of those repairs were completed by me. I've had the truck 6 years, purchased at 128K and currently sitting around 166k. Hope the wife doesn't see how much other (perhaps not necessary) money has gone into this ride... great truck.

The PO bought my 80 out of Florida with 90K, took it to Slee and had the head gasket and PHH done along with locker actuators and some other baseline stuff, plus Slee sliders, t-case skid and OME medium, and sold it to me with 105K for $13,800.

Pretty much every penny I have spent since then except for fluids had been trail related (maybe would have done one front axle rebuild).

Until today at 231K when I dropped $991 on a new custom exhaust system cats back. Although the stock stuff was heavily trail modified, so can't really blame that entirely as a repair.

Just an unbelievable cost of ownership deal given where she has taken me without complaint in just about any condition with about 100K of those miles on 37's.

The LC I learned to drive on was my parents '91. Aside from a bent lifter from an extended downhill in Elmira, NY towing a sailplane, it had nothing other than standard maintenance in its 400,000+ mile life. My second '92 got totaled at 230,000 and had nothing major. Same for the next '92 which I sold with 220,000 when I bought my '93. It's currently running so well at 230,000 that I keep putting of starting my diesel swap. So yeah... Pretty good vehicles.

405,xxx miles on the odometer (probably half a million in reality due to the 35's) and nothing but regular maintenance (still on the original HG)

Anything that failed was way past their life expectancy, but best of all, she's never left me stranded :)

Brake booster, seeping radiator, melted aftermarket cats, etc.
How many miles do you have on it now and have you had to replace the HG? I am looking at one that has ~380k miles and hasn't had the HG so curious how long others have been able to go before needing to replace / redo.

How many miles do you have on it now and have you had to replace the HG? I am looking at one that has ~380k miles and hasn't had the HG so curious how long others have been able to go before needing to replace / redo.

As of last weekend, 427,xxx on the odometer

I never had an issue with the original HG, but I did replace it when I did the valve seals a few years back

Still problem free, although I don't drive her nearly as much as I used to as she's more of a weekend beach toy nowadays

Scope creep on my 80 started last spring when I rolled her in for brakes, one year later still on stands with all new rubber everywhere a rebuilt A440F and xfer case, stainless brake lines, rebuilt window motors, rebuilt axle lockers, green stripe heater hose and replumbed rear heater, fuel lines removed and derusted, fule tank removed, inspected and new pick up filter, holy smokes the list goes on and my coffee cup is empty. All of this so that I can enjoy my ride and someday pass it to my son 30 years from now. Oh Ya I'm also lining up a TDi swap for next winter likely. Short story is it never ends.

The problem with this question is it is a little open ended, costs rise as ownership time increases, and of course the votes will change over time as well.

When it come to 'maintenance' I would say plenty but the expected stuff, I think a better question is what 'serious repairs'?

If that was the case then I broke a transfer box, but it came with a gearbox attached for 2000 euros plus a clutch which I did for the sake of it as the box was out. No other breakages or failures.

But 'maintenance' wise then I would say a full brake overhaul about four or five years ago which was over 2000 euros, but that was everything , calipers, slotted and dimpled discs, decent pads, handbrake cables etc. One Birfield, and that is about it. I am midway through changing axle seals and brake shoes and pads on the rear axle.

So maintenance wise the expected stuff for a 280,000 mile vehicle.

regards

Dave

Update to my no problems ‘93. I had to replace the radiator a month ago, but got a free one from an LX450. I’ve developed an oil leak, assuming it’s from the oil pump cover, but it’s super slow and lm not worried about it. Need to do shocks soon, possibly some bushings in the front. Not too bad so far.

Bought our vehicle with 277k on the odo. Doing approximately 1k miles per month since. Things I had to do to maintain safety and make it go? Replace the original radiator that cracked, replace the front discs, and replace a failed starter and failing brake booster.

Other things included adding new tires (even though the ones on the truck at the time of purchase were still holding air and had a bit of tread life still, but 2 of the tires and the spare had been patched 3-4 times each), and I had a mechanic do the front knuckle job. I also replaced the gas tank filter/sock because I thought it was appropriate after hitting 280k miles. Would these be considered necessary ''to do'' items?

Additionally, I have to add the cost of tools to the equation. Prior to buy the 80, all I had were the basic handyman tools needed to do some work around the house. I didn't have a creeper, jack stands, a breaker bar, a ratchet, etc. Are these considered necessary as well?

Lastly, this is the first vehicle that I have owned where it was recommended that I get recovery gear. Nothing super comprehensive, but even the basic kit of a snatch strap, recovery boards, tree strap, some good-quality shackles is already a few hundred dollars. Are these also considered necessary? Lot of variables here and I can't believe that the majority of people have spent less than $1k on necessary maintenance. I must be doing something wrong, or I got a lemon.

I have 2 fj80s... 95 with 213k and 97 with 248k... Both have had minimal maintenance and haven't had any major issues

5 years, about 40k miles (odometer has been a little intermittent lately). Has around 335k now.

Only repair that was needed was an o2 sensor and cat to pass emissions. If I hadn't failed emissions, I never would have known anything was wrong (no code or rough running or lack of power).

All other "repairs" are on me.

I blew my GTurbo, but I can't count that against my 80. (It was made for a 1HZ at low boost) Other than that, I've done timing belt, radiator, accessory belts, brake pads and oil changes. The only belt that actually broke was 1 of the 2 accessory belts. (redundant setup) I've put over 70,000 miles on my rig, so in my mind, cost of ownership has been pretty low! (I'll probably to front and rear axle service here at some point as well. But I don't have any leaks or soup, so it is an elective at this point)

I have owned my rig for over 20 years so of course I have spend over $4000 on maintenance. The most expensive single item was the head gasket which I paid $3000 to have replaced. I had a bunch of other stuff done at the same time so I am not sure how much I actually paid for just the gasket replacement. That was in 2010 and to date that was the most expensive single item.

20k miles over 5 years 180k total miles. $1,000s in maintenance to address age and use related wear. Stranded once due to transfer input shaft stripping. Almost stranded multiple times with sticking starter. Otherwise faultless.

Beat down rusty stock '94 DD work truck 6 years of ownership 220k-282k. . besides normal oil changes, greasing, topping fluids few used tires- lube hinges etc, etc- 3 cheap reman calipers- 2 sets front pads- 1 rear pads- plugs used cap, rotor, wires-corroded harness connection under intake that prevented starting (pita!)-lube up/unstick high beam switch- window master switch-remove VC-front ujoints (think rear soon)-adjust NSS-replace PS ret hose section- cut out rusted section of filler tube replace with gates rubber-tighten ONLY frt whl brgs-replace several rusted brake lines- weld rusted exhaust about once a year- no A/C since purchased (LARGE leak)- no dome lites presently until further diagnosis- misc maint includes regular greasing- qt oil about 1x month (1.89 shell 10w40) (leaks not fixed) filling front diff/knuckles 3x year leaking a lot-lube all zerks about 3x/yr- No sign of HG replacement or the other 80 "PM" stuff. bushings, TRE all appear original.

Adding life to this thread after 25.5 months ;)

1997, all stock, bought in 2015 with no history of work from PO...200k miles on the dial at the time
As of this last weekend, 221,828 miles
Ran the VIN, I'm the 3rd technical owner (the PO having only owned for a brief moment...either he was a flipper or he fell on hard times and just needed the cash).

As of this post, no catastrophic issues however, I am doing a baseline which I've noted in other threads so no need to go over plowed ground, as it were.

But nothing major at this point...but I found this thread searching for any obvious telltale signs that the HG HAS BEEN REPLACED. I know I probably won't know without cracking it open and at that point, I have a major project on my hand...but are there any obvious external indicators that the HG has already been replaced? Even the valve cover doesn't have any oil seepage around the edge.

"are there any obvious external indicators that the HG has already been replaced?"

One possible clue the HG has not been replaced is the presence of the original off-white FIPG around the half-moons. However when the valve cover gasket is replaced the half-moons are supposed to come out, be cleaned up, and new FIPG applied. Often the replaced FIPG is black, but not always.

You could also look very closely (take photos) for tool marks of the various bolts that would normally be removed/reinstalled during a HG replacement.

Having said all that if there are no leaks from between the valve cover and the head in a 97 model, then the valve cover almost for sure has been replaced,
at least once, possibly twice since the vehicle left the factory.

Look closely (take photos and magnify) at the bolts holding the valve cover down, do they appear turned? Of course if the prior owner replaced those bolts then they won't have much in the way of marks on the flats of the hex head.

For peace of mind you could collect a sample of used engine oil and send it off to Blackstone laboratories for an Engine Oil Analysis (EOA). That can show if there's unusual levels of wear metals or signs of coolant in the oil.

FWIW.

My only serious problem was the head gasket. I now have 300K on my rig. I bought it with 20K on it.

If “major” means things like HG, broken axle/gears/tcase/etc, rebuild, so on, then no I have not. However, count me & this rig in for full standard baselining, replacing cheapo rad from the PO, and I’m about to do a knuckle rebuild mainly for axle seals. But, then, this has only ever been a DD and has never been pushed. I’d call all of its servicing standard maintenance for their age, and given that, it’s done damn well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom