How many JEEP fans live on IH8MUD??, Most comments are understandably TOYOTA biased... (2 Viewers)

Fan of Jeeps?

• Jeeps are cool too

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • Yea, sure, they are OK

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Nope, Ill stick to my Toyotas

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Make? Just give me 4WD

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely love my Land Cruisers and Toyota's, but the TJ is kinda growing on me. Mainly because its as simple as an old FJ40, but still modern

I have another thread where I put my feet in the water (muddy crusty and Rusty ) with a fzj80 that I still might salvage, but that took a backseat to my TJ project that I just got a hold of this past week. 97, with about 164 and an automatic (yea I know) with a Dana 35. I plan on (God willing) working on this one while I take my time with my 80 project. Being a kid durning the 80s and a teenager during the 90s. I've always wanted to own the cars of that era (the ones that mattered anyway). And the Cruiser and Wrangler were Def one of them. I will say this, driving a wrangler Def. Is an acquired taste I'd have to say. Haven't taken further than a local commute but feels real go-cart ish. Anyway, here the jeep.

IMG_20190321_165203.jpg

My first 4X4 was a Jeep CJ7 that I owned for about 6 years. Loved it and went everywhere with it - had some minor downfalls but overall pretty darn good.
My next two vehicles were 4X4 Nissan pathfinders after our first child. Then have owned several Landcruisers and wont go back!

But Ill never forget the good times I had in that Jeep - It will always be appreciated!

I started driving in a Jeep and have had one since. The reason I ended up with a cruiser is because in October of 2015 I was exploring the Rockies in a 70K mile 2006 Hemi powered Grand Cherokee that failed to go into 4Low at the base of Cinnamon Pass. That Jeep was comfortable and had more power under the hood than necessary, but it always felt cheap, clunky, and creaky. Plus, what good is a 4x4 if a dealer update broke it and has no fix (N23 recall)?

2003 Rubicon, bought in 2003 as a bone stock salvage vehicle and have been tinkering since. Now at 144,000 miles.
IMG_20190511_145515.jpg

1992 Comanche, a work in progress. 97+ XJ update, rust repair, fresh 4.0 with Mopar purple cam and Dana 44 axles.
IMAG0048.JPG

1986 Comanche, A big shock to some of the Black Bear Pass hikers when they saw this rig coming down the steps. Around 200k miles on the 2.5L. High pinion Dana 30 up front and Ford 8.8 out back.
IMAG0032_1.JPG

Last edited:
Is there a better off-roader you can buy today than a 4 door Jeep Rubicon? I don't think there is, and if I were starting over, I'd start there. Love my old school Land Cruisers but the long wheel base Rubicon is a good truck.

Older Jeeps broke a lot of axles, but newer ones don't. I'd drive one.

I've been a Toyota guy but I've dabbled with the Jeeps. I had a 1984 CJ-7, a 1991 Wrangler YJ & a 1989 Cherokee. The YJ was by far my favorite and unbelievably one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. I took it all over the place.

CIpUmW.jpg

Is there a better off-roader you can buy today than a 4 door Jeep Rubicon? I don't think there is, and if I were starting over, I'd start there. Love my old school Land Cruisers but the long wheel base Rubicon is a good truck.

Older Jeeps broke a lot of axles, but newer ones don't. I'd drive one.

Yeah any modified YJ or TJ will kick the s*** out of a new 4 Door Rubicon.

But honestly for the price of a new 4 door rubicon you could build up a real Jeep and still have $15k left over and some of your dignity since you're not driving a glorified soccer mom SUV. :flipoff2:

Just kidding by the way - the new JK's are pretty cool..but still I hate what some people do to them.

I've owned almost a dozen different Jeeps over the years; some I sold and wish I would have kept (CJ-2A), and some that I wish I never bought (Liberty). I currently have a 2003 TJ that I've owned for over a decade that has really grown on me.

I am a long time lurker, and although this is a Toyota forum, it has the best section on small overland/camping trailers I've found thus far on the internet. This is my first post and am glad to be here, except for the reason I joined; I have a small problem with my trailer build and need info!
011.jpg

went and drove a 2020 yesterday. God so noisy and cheap after driving a 200. I spent many happy days in CJ5 and 7's.
I wish Daimler Benz still owned them. What kind of engineer puts an EGR system from 80's tech on a double overhead cam engine?
A friigin Italian. How do Italian always make a vehicle thathas problems.? It seems they have a formula. I was in a shop recently looking at a pile of 10 or 12 3.6 engines with only few hundred miles and blown head gaskets. All engine were being replaced with V8's. Better gas mileage and more dependable and lighter weight even. Unreal...another Fiat debacle

Unreal...another Fiat debacle
I have got to agree, that I don't like the direction FCA has gone with the Jeep brand.

I've owned (wife's vehicles) 3 Grand Cherokees: 2011 Overland, 2014 Summit, 2017 Summit. All purchased new. The 2011 had some 'buggy' software, but was otherwise nice. The latter Summits, were (and are - still have the 2017) very nice vehicles. All three had the 5.7L Hemi. I drove one with the V6, and just didn't like it. Seemed rather gutless.

I'm dreading the next incarnation, as it is rumored, FCA will be using the undercarriage design from the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

There have been some fantastic Jeeps before Fiat bought them. My Daimler Benz/ 88 Cherokee I drove for 480,000 miles. Sometimes I would skip oil changes. Stories like this are not unusual for that straight 6 engine. The stories just like mine are everywhere. Mine got bad paint and didn't look great but it became an experiment. I wanted to see how many miles it would keep going. At 480,000 I blew a rear main seal. Until then it did not even burn oil between changes. My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I would drive cross country with 400,000 miles. But it was my own funny experiment.
If you google the top 10 engines in the world that 4 liter straight 6 is usually on the list as well as an LS, the original Supra engine and another Toyota/Lexus design also. I would love to have another made before Fiat bought the company.
Did anyone follow how bad the "ecodiesel" Fiat created was?? It fell apart constantly. The Cummins made diesels were amazing....and still are. They can be found all over the world powering all kinds of vehicles from commercial applications to vehicles.

Chrysler who owns the Jeep brand merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998. Mercedes sold their interest in Chrysler and Jeep in 2007. Chrysler & Jeep are now partially owned Fiat. So since 2007 the Jeep brand has slowly been going down.

Grand Cherokee, with an OEM Merc. Benz Diesel 3.0. Aux 30 Gallon for 50 gallons for diesel. Skids, Locker.

FYI the 30 gallon Aux tank is from LongRangeAmerica.com (Ward is on this site) who also supplies Tanks for the Land Cruisers.

P7270010.JPG

Last edited:
To understand an early FJ40, I purchased a Willys Jeep CJ3a. Very interesting the similarities, and some, not that much. But nothing new as the Japanese copied many things in the early years. Harley Davidson, BMW motorcycles and Mitsubishi built Jeeps all under license of those corporations. Funny the things I learn.
Pictured is as found of the flat fender CJ3a in a SoCal backyard and today being broken down to paint the original color of light gray. There is not one part on early Jeeps that is not available and at reasonable prices. Unlike other marques. In the end, I hope to have the Willys like picture three. And yes, brightly painted wheels were factory.

1950 willys jeep.jpg

IMG_5721.JPG

c7a45bdf04d1367e2361a57377f0c81f.jpg

Well, we love Jeeps. I've owned 17-XJs, 3-ZJs, 1-YJ, 1-JKU and 1-JK Rubicon (Totaled about 2 months back).

Currently building out my 3rd ZJ (Project Redemption). I grew up in a Jeep family and always said if it was that the cost of admission is so high I'd own Toyota's..

I will someday build a Yota.. But for now it's Jeeps for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom