How long have you owned your 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10 years and 110k. It will be my son's soon and he will turn it into what he wants and I expect it to be around a long time after that also. I will be getting my dad's 40th Anniv. he bought new in 97 and I plan to have it for another 20yrs at least.

May 6, 2010 with 100,265 miles (134,465 miles now) on LX

9 Years 115K Miles... Mostly Joy except that time I melted a spindle. ... oh and that time my transmission gave out... ooo ooo oh and that time.. :rofl: Well even with that.. For a truck I paid $5,000 for with 100K miles it's been an awesome ownership experience.. WILL NEVER SELL IT!!! :moon::cheers:

Black Betty - 17yrs, 38days & counting. My 1st 80 & my longtimer.

LX450 - 3.5yrs. Was a riot.

40th AE - 1.5yrs. Was fun, and a nice throwback.

I like @2fpower 's idea --- here's my "shout outs":

I fully blame a innocent enough little forum I found over on Spectre Offroad when I was planning to buy a 40, (liked 80's but didn't know much then aside from solid axles).

Some guy everyone called 'The Shaman' kept rattling off parts #'s like he was knee deep in them ;) - and a guy named Junk was always keeping things light but he was clearly intelligent, and few others like Rick, Ken, and IIRC Kevin was there too.
He (this Shaman fellow) -roped in a "understudy/intern/parts slave" once we hopped over here.

Also a fellow named Christo, had a thing for painting 80's yellow & beating on them, no idea what ever became of him either :grinpimp::smokin:

It was funky little forum yet it was a place you knew these guys knew their nuts & bolts, even if Beowolf was talking about bubblewrapping his 80. (Little did we know wrapping would catch on).

I started out hunting for a 40, but 3-4 months later I was the 2nd owner of a 3yo FZJ80 I flew to Cali & pulled out of urban death.

@cruiserdan , @Junk , @landtank , @Romer , @Tools R Us , @sleeoffroad , @Beowulf , @beno

All above tagged have a hand somewhere in the strange tangent my "40 hunt" took.

Maybe someday I'll get that 40....and drop it on a 80 chassis.

My second one a 97 2 years so far my first one a 94 I had for 2 years but gas prices forced me to sell it. Always my dream car they were, after reading an article in Peterson's off-road about them back in the 90s. Always drove yotas had a Tercel once that when I traded it after 10 years still had the original Panasonic battery in it no b.s.

23 years, 4 months and counting. 199,000 miles of pure joy.

14 years.

It's dead but I can't get rid of the body for some strange reason..... Phenomenal life memories.

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

The coolest award it has received...even if my name got misspelled....:lol:
tmp_5978-20170227_181006688909040.jpg

About 5 years. Kinda of stumbled upon it. I was looking for a Tacoma as a 3rd vehicle for camping/mountain runs. Couldn't justify the price. One day I was working near highway 395 and saw a caravan of built 80s driving by (likely members here) headed toward Mammoth. I thought they were the nicest rigs I'd ever seen! Within weeks, I sourced and bought my 80.

About 5 years. Kinda of stumbled upon it. I was looking for a Tacoma as a 3rd vehicle for camping/mountain runs. Couldn't justify the price. One day I was working near highway 395 and saw a caravan of built 80s driving by (likely members here) headed toward Mammoth. I thought they were the nicest rigs I'd ever seen! Within weeks, I sourced and bought my 80.

That had to been one of our NorCal DV trips.

My 1992 - December 11, 1991 2:45pm. I skipped last hour to go pick it up.
25 years, 2 months, 16 days (maybe my math isn't perfect)
247k+

My 1993 - March 20, 2016
Bought it with 312k. Now at 335k. Hope to limp it along to 336k...

I give credit to my a$$hole father that told me to buy a Cheby instead of a "god damn rice burner!" He was a d!ck and I thought "what is the opposite of a Cheby". I ordered my Land Cruiser the next day.

1.5 years for me. Bought at 270k now at 288k and climbing (not a daily driver).

I love it, look at the long time and multi ownership. I have put almost 180K miles on mine and have loved almost every minute. I have the ok to upgrade to a tow vehicle and buy a new boat. So as I was installing the new leather, electric butt warmers, and cleaned her up real well I decided to wait on a new boat and rig. Now if a deal comes around I'll jump on it but looking has simmered back to an idle. Driving the 80 just feels right. I would give it to one of my kids but, daughter already crashed the jeep so the son can do the same.

94 LC - 9.6 years and added 175K miles. 95 LC - 1.2 years and added 15K. 04 LC - 1 month and added 750 miles. Wife loves the 04. My favorite is the 95. keeping the 94 for my sons.

Purchased July 18, 2008 - 1992 FJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser aka: "ADV80"
160,000 at purchase, 8-years we've added another 121,000 miles to the odometer.
281,000+ mile currently.

The LIFE STORY of the ADV80 documented right here on the 'MUD-Forum:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gcrad1s-1992-adv-fj80-land-cruiser.233037/

2689509548_25b96d4932.jpg

From this - to this:
29064122414_5e9bc9d592_z.jpg

And it didn't happen "over-night!" It's been and is in a current state of process...

Was talking to the wife the other day about the 80 and thinking I have had it a long time. I bought mine in fall of 03, how long and how many miles have you driven yours.

13 months and 11,000 miles so far. My only regret is not buying one sooner!

For the record, I had no freaking clue what I was buying when I bought my 1992. None. I did zero research. I didn't buy it because if its rugged and reliable history. I didn't buy it because it had solid axles. I didn't buy it because I had grandiose dreams of traversing the world in it. I ordered it within 30 minutes of getting to the dealership. Had never seen one in person. And didn't drive one. It was purely an emotional "F$&@ You!" to my father. Best damn decision of my life!

I love it, look at the long time and multi ownership. I have put almost 180K miles on mine and have loved almost every minute. I have the ok to upgrade to a tow vehicle and buy a new boat. So as I was installing the new leather, electric butt warmers, and cleaned her up real well I decided to wait on a new boat and rig. Now if a deal comes around I'll jump on it but looking has simmered back to an idle. Driving the 80 just feels right. I would give it to one of my kids but, daughter already crashed the jeep so the son can do the same.

This sounds like a great situational candidate for a supercharger.

I have the 5.7 / 3UR-FE in a dedicated rig (I DON'T want my 80 effed with @ boat launches when unattended for overnite trips. I can lose the Tundra, but not my 80) - so I'm a little mental over my Black Betty, but for you maybe going forced pressure will be a solution.

I'm a 22' Wooldridge & use about anything as a launch for river, but without going full "upgrade" & either losing the 80 or letting a kiddo have it, since your HG is already new (otherwise for the $$ I hear the 4.6 punch & a P&P head is quite bang/buck) - and a supercharger is still cheaper than sales tax on a new rig.

****If they still make them - IDK, seems someone said Magnuson was done with 1FZ s/c kits.****

Forgot to mention - the guy I bought mine from owned it from 1997 to 2015 (70k to 270k). He used it as the family hauler, hunting/fishing truck and all of his children learned to drive in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom