how important is muffler insulator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious... putting on a new exhaust system and i don't think i have the stock insulator that came with the rig. Is there any danger in not having one?

THanks
Dave

Just curious... putting on a new exhaust system and i don't think i have the stock insulator that came with the rig. Is there any danger in not having one?

THanks
Dave
It's a lot quieter with some kind of rubber isolators, otherwise it rattles everywhere. Pick some up at your local parts store or muffler shop. I like the figure 8 ones, as you can just weld on some steel rod or rebar and bend them so they will keep the isolators on really simple. John

Your engine and transmission move quite a lot, I'd be worried about the exhaust system no being able to flex and breaking where ever it was weakest.
Howdy! Duh, I should of thought of that point also, because I just cracked the one on my mini truck. Weird, cause it has lots of good support on the rubber hangers. I guess I've been jumping too many speed bumps around town!! John

Are you talking about the rubber hangers, or the clamp-on heat shield?

I was talking about the clamp on heat shield as well... but that was listed as an "insulator". I don't have one, so don't know how much of a difference it will make... I am still trying to get this muffler system hung and just broke off a hanger bolt from the frame... damn!

I would say that anything that shields or dissipates heat is a good thing. You can certainly make one out of perforated steel.

GL

Ed

I installed an "early" exhaust system from SOR on my '77 which is the same as yours (exhaust that is). I have had it for over 12 years without a heat shield/insulator and have had no problems. I have often thought of getting one but never did. I am sure you could get one cheap from some of the used parts dealers.

My floor gets so hot that it melted a tarp I had under my seat, so the heat insualtion is a good idea. I just have to listen to my own advice!

Chaka: I've got the rear rectangular muffler heat shield as well as the driver's side cat converter shield from a '79. Send me an IM if you are interested in either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom