How bad is this??? (‘05 lx470 w/ 312k miles, drain & fill transfer case) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought this Monday (6 days ago). One thing previous owner said he didn’t get to was to drain & fill the transfer case & differentials. I started with the transfer case because, as I understand it, it has the shortest oil change frequency. Well, the drain plug hada bunch of sludge that was obviously magnetic. It’s more than I’ve ever dealt with before in a 4x4, but this is a high mileage vehicle (compared to the rest of the world, not necessarily for Toyotas), AND, the 4wd hi/low work just fine. Who knows how long this oil has been there. I’m curious if it’s something that I should (A) simply monitor for issues later, or if (B) I should plan on getting this to a garage really soon. I’m leaning towards A, but I defer to your collective wisdom and experience. For now I’m refilling and will probably do another drain & fill in 5k miles just to check it, unless y’all are concerned it will cause more issues to delay a professional mechanic intervention.

Thanks in advance for the help.

08954113-8AFB-49B3-BD7A-ED5A6E5CA4ED.jpeg

BAC279E2-47FA-4B22-AEC3-256D624B920B.jpeg

111D4594-C930-4D7B-A11E-914E0277CE56.jpeg

AB2F6F88-BD04-4446-953F-741875B1D702.jpeg

38ED13EA-CA81-4852-AD19-E1A67F45BA06.jpeg

4BAD71CF-CC3B-40DF-BFB6-136A30462970.jpeg

Mine looked like that when I changed the fluids for the first time. I sent a sample off to Blackstone Labs and they weren't concerned.

As long as the shifts between high and low range and no unusual noises. I would fill and monitor. But, it probably wouldn't hurt after you get it refilled to put some miles on it and drain again to see if your still getting lots of residue on the magnetic plug.

Thank you all!!!

For what it's worth, a fellow coworker purchased an '032 GX470 this past summer, 280k miles. And there was a strange 'ratchet' like sound coming from the transfer case when accelerating. With light throttle application, no sound. But normal accel, ratchet sound. He drained the fluid, and it was dirty but no large chunks or bits of metal. And torn down the transfer case and could not figure out what the issue was. Ultimately, he replaced the trans. case chain. When he received the new chain, it had stretched to a point where it would jump a tooth, but there were no signs of broken gear teeth and the chain did not show any abnormal wear. We compared the drawing of the chain to the actual chain and all looked good. It wasn't until he received the actual chain that he could see the difference. New chain installed, works like new!! They are pretty indestructible.

just paste? no chunks or big flakes?
normal, it is fine
It was enough paste to equal a small to medium sized grape. But no chunks or big flakes (only the small ones you see on my pan in the last photo).

Now if I could only figure out how to maneuver these Lucas Oil quart bottles to finish filling the transfer case. After about half a bottle, gravity no longer helps because I cannot get the bottom end high enough up while keeping the tip in the transfer case fill hole… maybe I’ll grab some aquarium tubing tomorrow.

Fluid transfer pump, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, any auto parts store. Best $5 you'll spend. And you wont smell like gear lube!!

fluid transfer pump.jpg

Fluid transfer pump, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, any auto parts store. Best $5 you'll spend. And you wont smell like gear lube!!

View attachment 2970895
I picked up one of these today, but it was $12.99. it did work perfectly though and I regret not buying one yesterday before I started.

How do your hands smell?

Not bad, but I lost most of my sense of smell about 20 years ago. But nothing smelled burnt or nasty.

My new to me 98 LC with 285k had that much sludge on the magnet. Freaked me out for a minute until I decided that most shops probably don't bother cleaning the magnet.

Gears and bearings wear, it's normal. Chunks of metal or teeth are not normal.

Any way to know when was the last time the unit was serviced if at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom