How bad is my rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Looking at starting a rebuild on my 62. I just wanted to get some input on the rust of the vehicle at the moment?

Thanks for your time in advance!

C

508894BC-D489-4F50-87DB-534686FF0B25.jpeg

1D8AF924-0CB0-4E6B-A99E-50A12301117A.jpeg

4F50BA8C-8190-4BF6-85E7-47A1DE3D70D8.jpeg

29AE97D7-DEDE-4DEB-99CE-EB06DA780EA6.jpeg

A0F2CA81-2646-4120-BA39-57FFA62FDA2D.jpeg

Was this a respray? I'd wager that if you were to hit those points with a wire wheel and clean the paint off you will either find some ugly rust or body filler and ugly rust

Terrible. Sell it to me so it can make my rust look non-existent.

Welcome to Mud!

To answer your question - it's very bad. And, the rust that you can't see (under your windshield gasket, for example) is likely even worse. All of it can be repaired, but those repairs will cost a mint... unless you have fabricating and welding skills.

You haven't showed us your frame, wheel wells, floors, etc. I'm guessing by what you have showed us, that you'll be dealing with serious rust in all of those places.

I'm sure this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, and I'm sorry for that, but it's best to go into this experience with eyes wide open.

All the best,
O.N.

Was this a respray? I'd wager that if you were to hit those points with a wire wheel and clean the paint off you will either find some ugly rust or body filler and ugly rust
Thanks Seth - do you think it’s a gonner or worth removing all the paint and blasting the rust? Not sure whether it’s structural or not

Welcome to Mud!

To answer your question - it's very bad. And, the rust that you can't see (under your windshield gasket, for example) is likely even worse. All of it can be repaired, but those repairs will cost a mint... unless you have fabricating and welding skills.

You haven't showed us your frame, wheel wells, floors, etc. I'm guessing by what you have showed us, that you'll be dealing with serious rust in all of those places.

I'm sure this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, and I'm sorry for that, but it's best to go into this experience with eyes wide open.

All the best,
O.N.
Thanks O.N, appreciate your candour! Some more pics here - I haven’t got one of the wheel well atm.

How much fabrication work do you think is needed to get her back?!

65A5B342-CAA2-42A0-AECC-5362FFB7E57B.jpeg

57CBB0D3-4419-44A3-A7F0-1187CB702F52.jpeg

FF73F026-969B-453E-9EC3-FD23E61E0387.jpeg

DE5B43A1-63FD-47BC-8978-A5BEAE7CA8EE.jpeg

Your pictures remind of those people take when they are trying to sell their rusty truck, but want to hide the rust. That said, it looks like most of your rust problems are up top. Now take some photos from underneath, looking at the inside of the frame rails on either side of the spare tire area. And again on the frame just in front of the rear wheels, from the inside looking out. And even some body mounts around the rear wheel and tailgate.

That will start to tell the true story.

Your pictures remind of those people take when they are trying to sell their rusty truck, but want to hide the rust. That said, it looks like most of your rust problems are up top. Now take some photos from underneath, looking at the inside of the frame rails on either side of the spare tire area. And again on the frame just in front of the rear wheels, from the inside looking out. And even some body mounts around the rear wheel and tailgate.

That will start to tell the true story.
Cheers will do tomorrow thanks. The car is for sale so that’s probably why the photos are like that!!
I’m wondering if it’s worth me buying it and starting a rebuild project or looking for another. It’s for sale for $3.4k at the moment

Thanks O.N, appreciate your candour! Some more pics here - I haven’t got one of the wheel well atm.

How much fabrication work do you think is needed to get her back?!
What @georgebj60 said. Overall, it's hard to tell how much work is needed.

I'm only now getting to know welding myself... but the rust I have is in the "usual" spots, and I was able to buy patch panels to weld in after the rust is cut out. From what I gather, roof work is hard, and so is cutting out and replacing the multi-angled steel around windows.

BUT, there are tons of people on this site who have brought back very rusty trucks. It is possible.

Cheers will do tomorrow thanks. The car is for sale so that’s probably why the photos are like that!!
I’m wondering if it’s worth me buying it and starting a rebuild project or looking for another. It’s for sale for $3.4k at the moment
Sorry, just saw this message (didn't realize that you didn't own it yet!). With that in mind, I would pass on that truck and keep looking.

After you fix all the rust, that truck will pretty much need a complete repaint. With mismatched wheels, etc. I would pass, unless they make you a super deal on it and you want the experience fixing it.

$3,400 is pretty darn cheap for a '62 these days, so I can see why you've gotten this far

In addition to what's been mentioned, pull the carpets in the front footwells, check the floorboards.

Also - you didn't mention mileage or any mechanical details.

And the pics are pretty sketchy so far. Looks like the firewall has been rattle-canned - paint color doesn't match.

That white rig looks awesome!!! Go for that :)

ohhh it is the white 1 lolol....thought 2 different rigs

Thanks Seth - do you think it’s a gonner or worth removing all the paint and blasting the rust? Not sure whether it’s structural or not
Its not a Goner and at least its not too crazily priced. But I suspect that you would spend a lot of money having all of the corrosion issues properly addressed. As others have mentioned we need to see the frame and underside of the body to suggest whether to walk away...or walk to the local Adidas store, buy the most expensive running shoes they have, and then run away as fast as possible.

Last edited:
that ain't all that bad. like has been said, it is fixable n how capable are you? or how willing to learn are you? if you'd like a comparison. dig up the 'bj r 60 resurrected' thread by pistonpete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom