Hoping for a barn find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would steer clear of that rig. If it we’re a 93 - 97 would be an easier sell. Parts are gonna be hard to get and most likely the guy is probably lying about the rebuilt tranny and engine head. Based on the overall condition and storage of the LC I would be real skeptical of that. If you think about why would someone pay that kind of money to then just let it sit in a driveway and rot out. I would try to buy it for cheap and the strip it down to sell parts. Call around and see what a junkyard would buy it for and then over a little more. Even then, I think you would even have hard time turning a profit.

I would steer clear of that rig. If it we’re a 93 - 97 would be an easier sell. Parts are gonna be hard to get and most likely the guy is probably lying about the rebuilt tranny and engine head. Based on the overall condition and storage of the LC I would be real skeptical of that. If you think about why would someone pay that kind of money to then just let it sit in a driveway and rot out. I would try to buy it for cheap and the strip it down to sell parts. Call around and see if hat a junkyard would buy it for and then over a little more. Even then, I think you would even have hard time turning a profit.
not a bad idea if for no other reason than finding out how easy it would be to find parts.

Was looking at pics agian. Is the top
Part of the steering wheel missing. Looks like something took a bite out of it. 😆

There’s a nice 91 for 3k in the classifieds. Nice interior, absolutely rust free, and no engine to get in the way of your swap.
Easy pass on this.

There’s a nice 91 for 3k in the classifieds. Nice interior, absolutely rust free, and no engine to get in the way of your swap.
Easy pass on this.
nice. not sure I would be looking to do something like an LS swap, but that would be a great candidate if I was.

In today's market, that's a bargain. Yeah, it needs to have a bunch of stuff replaced, but they all do. The creampuffs are gone or 10x the price. Sellers think that basic maintenance is a value-adding mod and every rusted POS is worth what they saw on BaT. Awhile ago, there was someone on CL asking something like $5k for a '91/'92 that a tree had fallen on, crushing the entire roof.

A new steering wheel is $230 on Amayama. Replacing my steering wheel and lock cylinders made my '94 feel like a new car.

Better get on top of the rust ASAP. Good thing it looks like the door cards need to be replaced, because I bet there's rust brewing in the bottom seam inside the doors.

In today's market, that's a bargain. Yeah, it needs to have a bunch of stuff replaced, but they all do. The creampuffs are gone or 10x the price. Sellers think that basic maintenance is a value-adding mod and every rusted POS is worth what they saw on BaT. Awhile ago, there was someone on CL asking something like $5k for a '91/'92 that a tree had fallen on, crushing the entire roof.

A new steering wheel is $230 on Amayama. Replacing my steering wheel and lock cylinders made my '94 feel like a new car.

Better get on top of the rust ASAP. Good thing it looks like the door cards need to be replaced, because I bet there's rust brewing in the bottom seam inside the doors.
good eye. It feels like it's about 3 years away from being scrap if it doesn't get some love soon.

See if he'd do $2k. Also ask for the paperwork for the trans and head..
Check DOT codes and look for cracks on those tires, they could be worthless depending the condition, and those rims are 15" so the tires won't fit.
@MickeyB good point about not garaging it, but looking at the garage can't imagine the guy would take the time to want to carve out a space...looks like a hoarder situation?

Before you make an offer you should try to drive it. If it fails to turn, stop, start, that makes a huge difference.

Before you make an offer you should try to drive it. If it fails to turn, stop, start, that makes a huge difference.
totally. I was only able to do small movements in its current state, but that would be a requirement if I go forward.

You need to drive that truck. I would not buy it without a test drive unless you can afford to lose the cash. If it drives well, I would offer 2500 and be done with it. That rig *looks* like a good candidate for an engine/trans swap. As it stands, it's a project that could become a great trail/camping rig or even a DD.

Without a test drive it's $500.

Wait, to recap, OP, the elderly owner stopped YOU to talk about taking care of his rig?

If so, it either implies he knows something is wrong, or, hopefully, he wants it to go to a good home. Either way, since he approached you, I think that provides negotiation wiggle room. I concur it needs work. I think no more than $2500 is reasonable, after the test drive.

Wait, to recap, OP, the elderly owner stopped YOU to talk about taking care of his rig?

If so, it either implies he knows something is wrong, or, hopefully, he wants it to go to a good home. Either way, since he approached you, I think that provides negotiation wiggle room. I concur it needs work. I think no more than $2500 is reasonable, after the test drive.
In fairness, I have a pretty built up 4runner and you can hear the supercharger whining from blocks away. That's what got his attention. He's 65+ and had to stop driving it because he can't get into it anymore which is why it sat. Test drive for sure is in the cards, I'm waiting to hear back from a mechanic buddy on an estimate for a full baseline and will probably use that to gauge where I go with this.

Check DOT codes and look for cracks on those tires, they could be worthless depending the condition, and those rims are 15" so the tires won't fit.
What tires won't fit? IMO, these old 80's look cool with those 15" wheels. I would keep them along with the stock suspension, and look to keep baselining costs to a minimum if this turns out to be an OK runner.

@MickeyB good point about not garaging it, but looking at the garage can't imagine the guy would take the time to want to carve out a space...looks like a hoarder situation?
Correct, I have some 16 inch rims that will fit the tires. The garage had his project car in it, a BMW something something IDK I'm not German. But yeah, he needs to reduce clutter :D

What tires won't fit? IMO, these old 80's look cool with those 15" wheels. I would keep them along with the stock suspension, and look to keep baselining costs to a minimum if this turns out to be an OK runner.
I like that style of wheel, imo one of the best toyota made. The 16" tires that are included in the album wont fit.

Correct, I have some 16 inch rims that will fit the tires. The garage had his project car in it, a BMW something something IDK I'm not German. But yeah, he needs to reduce clutter :D
Ah there it is then 🙃
Offer him $3500 for the BMW and the cruiser.

I like that style of wheel, imo one of the best toyota made. The 16" tires that are included in the album wont fit.
I like the rims too, hard to find 15s though particularly when you're somewhere in Arkansas and blast a sidewall. I'm considering going to 17s so I can match tires with my 4runner and just start buying them at costco :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom