Hoping for a barn find (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tomorrow I'm hoping to go see a 91 FJ80 that almost literally has fallen into my lap. I was picking up my dog from the kennel and this 65+ year old man rolled up to me at a stop light and was telling me he loved my 5th gen 4runner and had been looking for someone to take care of his FJ. I have no idea what I'm gonna find, but he claims it has a new trans, clean frame, has sat for a few years and wants $3000 for it.
Knowing I'm going to be limited on time and tools when I get there, anything you folks can think of that would make a 3k FJ80 not worth it assuming the frame is in good shape and the motor runs?
I already have a fully built and blown 2018 4runner for adventures, this would be a project truck for fire road campsites and just general cruising.

PM me if you don't end up buying it. I'll keep it stored and take good care of it. Im not far from STL.

Not worth it? I guess depends on how much time and money you are willing to devote to it. I have literally a 1000hrs of labor in my 92. Parts have not been cheap either. A old 4x4 takes a lot to make nice and reliable again.
And still thousands cheaper than buying a new one.

By destroyed interior do you mean electrical or carpet/upholstery? I'm assuming most of the plush bits are gonna need rebuilt.

Black mould would be a no go for me.

Been there done that. Once it's in the interior you can't get rid of it. It'll come back every time humidity gets high enough. Even if you strip everything out.

A serious rodent infestation would be up there too

Black mould would be a no go for me.

Been there done that. Once it's in the interior you can't get rid of it. It'll come back every time humidity gets high enough. Even if you strip everything out.

A serious rodent infestation would be up there too
totally makes sense. I'm supposed to see it early in the morning so I'll post pictures by end of day at least.

Not worth it? I guess depends on how much time and money you are willing to devote to it. I have literally a 1000hrs of labor in my 92. Parts have not been cheap either. A old 4x4 takes a lot to make nice and reliable again.
ohh I feel that. My 4runner was my covid project and got real ridiculous real fast. I'm in no hurry to finish it, so money is easy to spread out. Mostly looking for something fun to wrench on for a few years that won't be a waste of time and money.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go see a 91 FJ80 that almost literally has fallen into my lap. I was picking up my dog from the kennel and this 65+ year old man rolled up to me at a stop light and was telling me he loved my 5th gen 4runner and had been looking for someone to take care of his FJ. I have no idea what I'm gonna find, but he claims it has a new trans, clean frame, has sat for a few years and wants $3000 for it.
Knowing I'm going to be limited on time and tools when I get there, anything you folks can think of that would make a 3k FJ80 not worth it assuming the frame is in good shape and the motor runs?
I already have a fully built and blown 2018 4runner for adventures, this would be a project truck for fire road campsites and just general cruising.
Could be a good rig but the FJ80 is a transitional model with a lot of NLA parts

Wouldn't ozone get rid of it?

A lot of what I read was inconclusive.
I wrote off a 105 series that was a long term project because the whole thing got damp and mouldy inside when stored partly undercover. I removed all the interior, cleaned everything I could with vinegar and mould treatment chemical.

About 2 years later, humidity triggered the mould again, and the entire interior ended up with fuzzy black mould 1/4" deep all over it. Was a biological hazard just disposing of it

OK. just got back. here are some pictures I snapped

It started right up, didn't blow any smoke, shifted through all the gears and the center diff locked. The owner says it has a new transmission with about 700 miles on it, a new head (the previous owner snapped a plug off in the head) , the 3rd row seats are there. The interior didn't smell at all but it was full of crap so it's hard to say the overall condition.
I'm assuming if it's made of rubber or holds a fluid it will need to go.
I'm fully capable of all the repairs needed, interior and exterior, but I am a little bit intimidated at the moment.

I told him I'd call back tonight and let him know the plan.

OK. just got back. here are some pictures I snapped

It started right up, didn't blow any smoke, shifted through all the gears and the center diff locked. The owner says it has a new transmission with about 700 miles on it, a new head (the previous owner snapped a plug off in the head) , the 3rd row seats are there. The interior didn't smell at all but it was full of crap so it's hard to say the overall condition.
I'm assuming if it's made of rubber or holds a fluid it will need to go.
I'm fully capable of all the repairs needed, interior and exterior, but I am a little bit intimidated at the moment.

I told him I'd call back tonight and let him know the plan.

I think $3K is a bit steep.

"Ran when parked"

Why did they stop driving it?

It is a 3F-E, so it will be very reliable. It's had a head work and transmission work.

If I was to guess, it doesn't shift right, it gets horrible gas mileage, needs new tires.

You will easily throw $6K at this in parts to do a full baseline at it.

The 3F-E is very reliable, but slow. If nothing else, buy it, clean it up, make it run and flip it for $6K.

Put a RTT on it and make it $10K.....

Paint the words "Overland Edition" on it and get $35K.

I think $3K is a bit steep.

"Ran when parked"

Why did they stop driving it?

It is a 3F-E, so it will be very reliable. It's had a head work and transmission work.

If I was to guess, it doesn't shift right, it gets horrible gas mileage, needs new tires.

You will easily throw $6K at this in parts to do a full baseline at it.

The 3F-E is very reliable, but slow. If nothing else, buy it, clean it up, make it run and flip it for $6K.

Put a RTT on it and make it $10K.....

Paint the words "Overland Edition" on it and get $35K.
lol that overland edition cracked me up. He parked it after he retired, was too hard to get into and out of for him. I figure on putting 6500 into it between baselining, replacing all the rubber, battery putting in a lift since I will need to replace all the shocks and bushings anyway, brakes and lights before I start mucking around with interior work.

Rust and a destroyed interior
Also, think that 94 engines were better but no expert.
3k is very low, I would buy it if it started and could drive.
If it was in oem state I could import it to my country, pay 107% tax and sell it with profit....

The photos don't load for me. I like that it's in stock condition. How many miles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom