Hood Louvers: BEST Placement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
What is the group consensus on the BEST location to install louvers in the 80's hood? Let the debate begin!

i think youll find there is discrepancy between best spot for them to function and the best place to install (as in ease and less support cutting)

this was hashed out 10 years ago in romers yarn 'threads'
Hood scoops
video in post #52 if it will play for you

or from sumo's thread from a decade ago as well

"......
After testing low pressure zones on the hood with yarn taped to the hood, I determined that the brick-like 80 has a lot of low pressure zone on the outside of the hood bump. This allowed me to put the vents outboard of the diagnal hood brace, below the hump, and quite a bit forward (15in to back of vent) of the rear hood line.... "

ABC'S of 80's Cooling Part IV - Hood Vents

The hottest part of the engine bay is probably on the exhaust side towards the cowl area, so if you wanted to remove your passenger side window squirter and put it there, that would probably be the best for venting hot air out. At least at low speed. And it would look totally stupid :eek:

Somebody drug this dead horse up earlier this summer.... can't remember who. But, I think once everyone thru their 2 cents in, it was determined a vent or scoop or whatever it's called will help your 80 cool down "a little bit" at stop lights, or slow crawling. At road speeds the aerodynamics negates the "whatever you want to call it", and contributed to zero improvements on cooling. Better off to ensure your fan shroud is complete and functional, your fan clutch is working properly, and your cooling system itself is in proper shape.

Marine7, yes, I'm dealing with that issue as well... I am going to install an oil cooler to see if that makes a difference. I have an SC'd rig, which makes my life in the summer out here in the desert / high Sierra passes... interesting. Meth injection hasn't worked. Regular coolant flushes HAVE helped. I've made all the other mods you'd typically do (fan clutch replacement, water pump replacement, etc).

Radiator Black 12 oz Satin Finish

Read up on why the above matters.... If shedding heat when no air is moving through the radiator is top priority, then consider painting it black.

What is the group consensus on the BEST location to install louvers in the 80's hood? Let the debate begin!
wherever fits and you don't have to cut out the crossmembers underneath.
which louver did you get?
here's mine. Squeezed 'em in there and they do alot of good.

IMG_6959.JPG

i placed my decorations where I was sure to cut thru the emisions stickers. and they really don't have much effect at speed but crawling over stuff they do help. On a plus they work as baby bottle warmers and hand warmers in cold weather

Meth injection has nothing to do with coolant temps. I have seen this mistake many times. It is only for intake air temps.

I would try taking the transmission lines out of the radiator and hook them up to another cooler.

Marine7, yes, I'm dealing with that issue as well... I am going to install an oil cooler to see if that makes a difference. I have an SC'd rig, which makes my life in the summer out here in the desert / high Sierra passes... interesting. Meth injection hasn't worked. Regular coolant flushes HAVE helped. I've made all the other mods you'd typically do (fan clutch replacement, water pump replacement, etc).

^ Interesting idea- I hadn't heard about that. Have you tried this? Did it make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom