Hood lift strut - who makes a good replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just received Mr Lou's hood lift strut for my 01 LC. I am likely the least mechanical member of this forum and it took me about 20 minutes to remove the original supports and replace with my new ones from Mr Lou's. Excellent product. They have been on my cruiser for at least half an hour and still work every time! BTW- $26 dollars on ebay and speedy shipping...

$26? For a pair of #4361 StrongArm ?

Good price

I've used a few "highly recommended" aftermarkets, and they all soon fail. I'd say OEM.

I've used a few "highly recommended" aftermarkets, and they all soon fail. I'd say OEM.
Mine aftermarkets have lasted a solid year, still work like new.

That's what I thought @hkeller - although I had two previous sets of Mr. Lou's and felt I got what I paid for ($27/pr.).

Thought I'd pay a little more and get OEM this time (a seasonal discount at a reputable Toyota OEM parts dealer).

Installed them earlier this year and felt they should hold up better over the long run.

But not so sure. After installation, it seemed like they weren't as powerful or strong as I remember the original arms were in holding up the hood.

Just something to consider. They've likely changed who manufactures the OEM arms in the last few years.

Last edited:
Looked at OEM rear hatch struts....man those are expensive.

Was advised by someone who knows (a forum vendor) to look at mcmaster carr. If memory serves me right, there is a thread on this.

Don't mean to hijack, just another source to consider for the hood.

Any feed back on mcmaster carr option (either hood or hatch)?

Thought some might be interested in this deal. Replaced them five years ago and the hood hit me in the head last week and it hurt.

Two Strongarm hood hydraulic lifts for under $35.00 delivered. I bought them and they work very well.

No, I don't have stock in this company just wanted others to be able to take advantage of this cheap price for good lifts. Wish others would offer alerts when finding bargains.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 4361 Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 1998 To 2004 Hood Lift Supports, Struts, Shocks Cylinders: Automotive

Thought some might be interested in this deal. Replaced them five years ago and the hood hit me in the head last week and it hurt.

Two Strongarm hood hydraulic lifts for under $35.00 delivered. I bought them and they work very well.

No, I don't have stock in this company just wanted others to be able to take advantage of this cheap price for good lifts. Wish others would offer alerts when finding bargains.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 4361 Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 1998 To 2004 Hood Lift Supports, Struts, Shocks Cylinders: Automotive

Agree- these work great.

Sorry for the off topic.request..

Don't ask me how but the lower end of my right hand shock came undone from the spherical mount, then got unscrew and got lost

In any case I need one just in case somebody has a worn out shock that still have the lower joints..

Thanks

Ricky

Just placed an order for these - thanks!

Any updates on good long lasting hood and/or hatch struts? I bought hood and hatch struts from Lou's about 5 years ago and have been putting up with them falling down for at least 3 years now. Pretty disappointing.

Finally giving in again as I'm getting tired of dealing with the falling hood and hatch...again. So any new recommendations for good replacements?

EDIT:
So after continuing to search around a bit yesterday for recommendations for new/good ones, I found a post where someone had bought from Lou's, had an issue after a couple years, but Lou's had a "Lifetime Guarantee" so they contacted Lou's and low-and-behold, Lou's replaced them free of charge (pay only shipping).

So I looked back through my email last night for my Lou's order and found it. Dated 12/16/2014--almost *7* years ago. I replied to the email and gave it a shot. I mean, I almost feel guilty its been so long, but they were giving me trouble after a couple years and I've just been dealing with it--and, hey, if you're offering a lifetime guarantee, you gotta expect some folks to take you up on it.

Got a reply a bit ago from Lou's and, though my order is so old that they cant find it in the system (which I thought could happen and is why I replied using the order email so they could actually see the order there in the email) and they said they are going to replace them. I just need to pay for shipping. Sounds good to me!

Hopefully they'll last a bit longer this time.... :p

Last edited:
Got the replacements in from Lou's. Rear ones seem identical to the old ones. Front ones, however are different. I wish I would took some pics, but the old ones had an angled head on the hood-side end of them, seemingly allowing for more rotation since they are mounted on the underside, vs the side. --the new ones didn't have this, but they still went on just fine. The new ones however were a couple inches longer and allowed the hood to open to near the max the hinges would allow. The old ones kept the hood noticeably lower.

Anyway, so far, they are working really good again. Hopefully these last a bit longer before wearing down.

I went with Monroe 901658 from RockAuto. Installed 18 months ago and still holding strong. Under 20 bucks each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom