Builds Honu. A build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swapped the crusty old throttle cable for a fresh OEM unit. Buttery throttle response! Added a good 50 HP to the butt dyno for sure!

281BC347-A9E5-44BA-9212-1D00DFBAEA59.jpeg

Suspension goodies have arrived! Thanks to @FMC80 for styling me out with a 75mm Slinky setup. Still sourcing shocks… mill creek overland has a set of stage 4 icons in stock that are matched to these springs… I really want to pull the trigger on them, but man are they pricey!

0BBB8292-DD44-4865-891F-D58A38C3CD15.jpeg

BD1992E2-7553-45FF-B4A2-AC92CE681A49.jpeg

3F8DB1E1-649A-487C-8B8D-36545285821D.jpeg

Millcreek Overland is where I got my slinky stage 1 from. If Albert has a set of stage 4s on the shelf, you better jump on it soonest or it will be gone asap.

P.S. Glad UPS only destroyed some of the packaging and not the internals.

All your heater hoses are original better change them and the phh sooner then later. I’d also get the right rad cap from Toyota or at least make sure the one you have is for the right pressure.
Have fun

Oh man, I must’ve been drunk, I was three or four doubles down by the time I saw this. I thought you said Millcreek had the Slinkys Stage 4s on the shelf. Is that what you meant?

Oh man, I must’ve been drunk, I was three or four doubles down by the time I saw this. I thought you said Millcreek had the Slinkys Stage 4s on the shelf. Is that what you meant?
You’re correct! I messaged them a while back just on the off chance they had any stock left over and he said they had a set of stage 4 ready to go. I hemmed and hawed over spending so much for shocks for a little while then finally pulled the trigger.

OK! I Need some advice here. I've been sourcing parts for a big suspension upgrade, and I need help finishing out the build list...

I Have:
Slinky 75 mm springs, adjustable upper control arms, extended brake lines, sway bar extended mounts and extended bump stops. Slinky Icon Stage 4 shock absorbers are on their way... Fifteen52 17x8.5 ET0 wheels and 37x12.5 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's.

I Know I Need:
Extended length lower control arms. Currently looking at Landtank's offerings.
Rear panhard correction bracket. Delta or Eimkeith
I Need Help Deciding:
Caster correction! Options include: Caster correction plates, caster correction bushings, Eimkeith radius arm drop mounts. Delta Arms
Front wheel relocation:
Options include: Redline Cruisers radius arm relocation bracket (moves rear radius arm mount bolt forward 33mm)
(Eimkeith radius arm drop also moves front axle 25mm forward)
Delta long radius arms. (Solves caster and axle location problems)

What I don't know I need yet: This is where you guys fill me in on what I'm missing so far.

Other items that are coming when $ allows: Regear, 4.88 front and rear, plus the 3:1 low range OD. Part time kit? I need more schooling on this... RCV axles.

Thanks in advance! Please fire away in here!

As far as castor correction and front axle relocation, the simplest solution is Delta arms. How, exactly do you intend to use your 80?

As far as castor correction and front axle relocation, the simplest solution is Delta arms. How, exactly do you intend to use your 80?
A capable crawler rig that can drive to the trails. I definitely see the benefit of the delta arms... but the price tag is heavy. Not against spending money wisely, but they really 10x better than the other options for correcting caster and axle location?

A capable crawler rig that can drive to the trails. I definitely see the benefit of the delta arms... but the price tag is heavy. Not against spending money wisely, but they really 10x better than the other options for correcting caster and axle location?
Yes especially since your rig will be lifted more than the advertised 75mm of those slinky coils. If you are serious about crawling rocks and beating the rig hard you want the most durable solutions. If you were going with a sub 3” lift then the eimkieth brackets would be great. The last thing you want on a lifted 80 on 37’s is inadequate castor angle. I went through some white knuckle driving with 4” castor plates on a 5” lift. I now run delta 6” arms and have 5* plus positive castor angle plus the rear track bar bracket raised. These two things made a huge difference in on road handling.

Are those Slinky’s heavies or mediums?

I've heard that... And I don't plan to make this a super heavy build. After reading the entire Delta VS radius arms thread I take it the best course of action is to install the lift and see where it sits, get my caster #'s and then make purchase decision with that info in hand. Likely 3L arms would do the trick. 5L probably overkill. I have been drooling over the DVS arms ever since first seeing them, it just takes some solid research to justify the price. It seems that folks have been managed for quite some time on caster correction plates or a combo of bushings and plates.

I've heard that... And I don't plan to make this a super heavy build. After reading the entire Delta VS radius arms thread I take it the best course of action is to install the lift and see where it sits, get my caster #'s and then make purchase decision with that info in hand. Likely 3L arms would do the trick. 5L probably overkill. I have been drooling over the DVS arms ever since first seeing them, it just takes some solid research to justify the price. It seems that folks have been managed for quite some time on caster correction plates or a combo of bushings and plates.
Yes, castor plates were the main go to castor solution for a long time while Slee Off-road sold the only aftermarket leading arms to be had here in the USA. Plates are inexpensive by comparison so if you decide you don’t like them not much is lost.

If you do go with Delta arms don’t short yourself on the castor correction. More than 4* is nice on a lifted, top heavy rig with large rubber.

Dave at Delta can explain to you how he appreciates even 7* positive castor angle with less lift and 35’s. He can also explain exactly how they measure lift and point you in a direction that you will be happy with in the end.

Yes, castor plates were the main go to castor solution for a long time while Slee Off-road sold the only aftermarket leading arms to be had here in the USA. Plates are inexpensive by comparison so if you decide you don’t like them not much is lost.

If you do go with Delta arms don’t short yourself on the castor correction. More than 4* is nice on a lifted, top heavy rig with large rubber.

Dave at Delta can explain to you how he appreciates even 7* positive castor angle with less lift and 35’s. He can also explain exactly how they measure lift and point you in a direction that you will be happy with in the end.
Thank you for all your input here! I really appreciate it. With the increased caster numbers come potential driveline issues right? Making a part time kit and/or a DC driveshaft a likely necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom