Home brewwed hot shower setups? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a rig that used an RV pump to run water through some 1/4" copper that was coiled about 12 times around the exhaust pipe and brazed or soldered on a truck. It ran to a faucet that was under the bed there was a cold side of the faucet too that got water directly from the pump. There was then a shower head on a hose you could use to bath with, and he had plans for a curtain that would hook on to his roof rack. I took a shower on this set up and thought it was great. Haven't started collecting up parts for one yet, but it's on my list of things I'd like later on. I think he was about $150 into it, the pump was about $90 he said, but it was able to draw water from like 40' away if he wanted to draw from a lake or soemthing.
Anyone else out there got something they've done and liked? Or even done and didn't like?

There was an article in the latest 4WDTO, but their setup was this god aweful heat exchanger inside the engine compartment. Took up alot of space IMHO. Your proposed setup sounds better.

Trollholl did a nice setup and has a whole write up on it, probably did it in about sept oct last yr. Just search his posts, he likes to talk so hes over 2000 now but it shouldnt be to hard.

Last edited:
fussy_cruiser said:
There was an article in the latest 4WDTO, but their setup was this god aweful heat exchanger inside the engine compartment. Took up alot of space IMHO. Your proposed setup sounds better.

Yeah I saw that one also. It was huge!. But I liked the concept. Very original idea. He should have mounted that thing under his vehicle and used it for a skid plate. Now that would be intersting. But it was big.

I've also seen some post on using a hvac heat exchanger coil. It looks to be a good design and it seemed very inexpensive.

I have one in mine, using a plate style exchanger like Trollhol's. I have a pic of the parts I used here https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=83797. I think the plate style exchangers are great because of how compact and efficient they are. My pump and exchanger are each mounted in the engine compartment on the firewall by your feet- out of the way of everything else.

-Dustin

I'm thinking black abs pipe on the roof soler powered as I travel in desrt alot maybe co2 power for presher.

calico kid said:
I'm thinking black abs pipe on the roof soler powered as I travel in desrt alot maybe co2 power for presher.

Okay I don't know about that one.

calico kid said:

The ABS was actually someone else's suggestion John.;p But the CO 2 option is ALL YOURS!:eek:

Look to see one of these on John's AND MY rigs in the near future. I GUARANTEE you it will be BOOTY FAB!:D

And cool.:cool:

[edit:] maybe this should be moved to expedition setups?

Does it ever get cloudy in the desert? Does it get cold during the day. Wouldn't you need to put some kind of plexiglass cover over the pipe to keep it insulated?

I have seen someone who had a big coil of copper tubing and they used it as a fire ring and had water flowing around it. Though they used it to heat a hot tub. It would work for a shower.

Lots of cabins have used the black poly pipe on the roof method for hot water heating for years - works really good and then gets really cold all at once :D

The real question is black ABS better than a black garden hose - what is the tradeoff for capacity vs. heat gathering surface area?

haystax said:
Lots of cabins have used the black poly pipe on the roof method for hot water heating for years - works really good and then gets really cold all at once :D

They also use long runs of it here on the roof for a cheap solar heater for a pool.

unless your whole wagon roof has this, it seems that it wouldnt be very effective. Plus, theres something nice about unlimited hot water I dont think would happen using a very simple heat exchanger set up.

-Dustin

In the summer it does not get cloudy or cold stays hot about 110 to 120 the pipe should hold about 5 gals 6''x6' if you can carry unlimited water. in the desert it is scarce at best

I kinda like the copper wraps around the exhaust pipe ( more options for mounting location) . IMO it is better cause you can put it anywhere , does not tie into engine coolant system , easily adjust.
From personal exp. I can say it is a biatch to get them to prime sometimes but when you learn what size hose to use with the RV pump they are sweet. The are pressure switched so shut off is auto when valve is closed , pump good volume( with proper hose size) and a simple T on output with a check valve gives you hot and cold.
4 ft, copper tube( 3/8)
2 barbed fitting soldered on
50 ft . 1/2 clear hose
RV pump
toggle switch
platisc T and inline check valve
and you prolly could run the rig for short while and shut it down and still get hot for quite awhile as opposed to the guys who sit next to the stream with the engine idling for 2 hrs. saturday morning .

peesalot said:
I you prolly could run the rig for short while and shut it down and still get hot for quite awhile as opposed to the guys who sit next to the stream with the engine idling for 2 hrs. saturday morning .

Never tried it with out the truck running. There were 6 of us who used it, and we all took about 3-4 minutes apiece. Of course all of us were or had been in the Navy, and 4 minutes is really over time for any of us. Might need to carry extra fuel if your bringing women I suppose.

It really does give you good flexibility for mounting location. I figure the coils should go as far forward as convienient , and probably wrap around some where your exhaust is higher than the bottom of the frame rail, or goes over a skid plate. The pump could be mounted inside the front fender (a' la charcol canister) in a wheel well (if youve got spare clearance) or under the floor somewhere out of harms way. We just used a couple of big 5 gal jugs for water, they weren't mounted or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom