Radio Setups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As far as I know, 1971 FJ40s never had stock radios, right? Anyone have pictures or ideas what they've done for stereo setups in older cruisers? Just looking for ideas, thanks!

I have a 72 with a 76 hardtop. I put a wood shelf across the front, next to the windshield, slightly notched for the wiper motor. It was secured with some tabs/brackets out by the doors. Stuck a radio/cd player in the middle and put some speakers on the underside out by the doors. CD worthless on rough roads.

I also put a shelf at the rear for a boys ax and an entrenching tool and some other stuff. Also hung a amber fog light to light up the rear area.

My Oct of 71(72) had a AM radio mounted under the steering wheel. My guess it was dealer installed. It had a speaker box high on the pass side toe kick. I seem to recall this type of installation on a few other early 40's back in the day. I hung a radio in the pocket.

This is what I did on my 68 a long time ago.
IMG_20201020_163546337.jpg

I know it was over thirty years ago because that when I both my 73 FST. That was my first FJ40 with a radio cutout. The bottom pads are off 78, not the original pad cutdown. Believe I still have the piece I cut out and may go back to stock.

I do have literature from the mid 1960s about the AM radio offered thru Toyota to their dealers. It was mounted to the bottom of the dash.

I have a 72 with a 76 hardtop. I put a wood shelf across the front, next to the windshield, slightly notched for the wiper motor. It was secured with some tabs/brackets out by the doors. Stuck a radio/cd player in the middle and put some speakers on the underside out by the doors. CD worthless on rough roads.

I have a different idea on using CD player. Mount a Toyota radio with a cassette player in the dash. Then mounted a remote CD player centrally location. Rough road play cassettes (I still have a large section of cassettes from the 70s and 80s. The CD players came in single and six CD.
IMG_20201105_205125776.jpg

Obviously LPs have a better sound just not sure could keep the needle from jumping around.
I also have a few of these housings.
PXL_20230615_215724277.jpg
PXL_20230615_215713151.jpg

The.Toyota single DIN Toyota audio slide in and snap lock in place. I have enough audio would make it easy to change out unit. The cassette player is a lot more robust than CDs, especially the CD changers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom