Hog Rings: Educate me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to replace my driver's seat foam cushion bottom. Found some great threads walking through each step of the process. One area that's still a bit ambiguous is the hog rings. Is there anything special about the OEM Toyota hog rings (90468-16019) beyond ordinary over-the-counter hog rings I'd find at my local hardware store? Also, are there any specific set of hog ring pliers that work better for this task?

Forget the Amazon deals..i bought a set from there a few years back and they lasted maybe 10 rings before one of the holding edges split off.
I ended up grabbing a set from Lowes for $20. They are made in china but the quality was pretty good. I used them along with stainless steel rings to fit my new leather from Mosley.
There is nothing complicated about the process, just take your time and don't be afraid to go back a few steps if you discover things aren't lining up.
Don't plan any tasks that require feelings in your finger tips for the following day or 2.

Forget the Amazon deals..i bought a set from there a few years back and they lasted maybe 10 rings before one of the holding edges split off.
I ended up grabbing a set from Lowes for $20. They are made in china but the quality was pretty good. I used them along with stainless steel rings to fit my new leather from Mosley.
There is nothing complicated about the process, just take your time and don't be afraid to go back a few steps if you discover things aren't lining up.
Don't plan any tasks that require feelings in your finger tips for the following day or 2.
Thanks much. Anything special about the hog rings, or just the standard whatever that Lowes carries in the same isle?

Thanks much. Anything special about the hog rings, or just the standard whatever that Lowes carries in the same isle?
Nothing special that i recall. I used a set of rings that i had left over from doing my range rover a good few years ago. The rings are 25mm across the shoulders and about 2mm thick. They are stainless steel.
16263738099243614397272466006230.jpg

About to replace my driver's seat foam cushion bottom. Found some great threads walking through each step of the process. One area that's still a bit ambiguous is the hog rings. Is there anything special about the OEM Toyota hog rings (90468-16019) beyond ordinary over-the-counter hog rings I'd find at my local hardware store? Also, are there any specific set of hog ring pliers that work better for this task?
Just make sure you get the cast pliers, not the flimsy stamped steel or even worse, the plastic ones.

The pliers shown on here are nice ones with pointed tips for easier removal as well.

You'll also need a quality pair of needle nose pliers to remove what you have.

I have had these two awhile, done five or six seats with them. Zero issues.

8A19AAE0-CB10-48C2-9FF9-DBBC0BBF48F3.jpeg
E2FC8FAA-C035-4CEF-A78A-C707C2355D04.jpeg

I cut the old hog rings out with dikes. I use only SS hog rings.

Cheers

So the only Hog Rings I can find are 12g galvanized hog rings for chain link fencing. These looks substantially larger than the ones I just removed. What’s the school of thought on using the larger rings? (PS, the bandaid is for you @NLXTACY)

9688FC3E-F755-405E-9643-01B206B63184.jpeg

So the only Hog Rings I can find are 12g galvanized hog rings for chain link fencing. These looks substantially larger than the ones I just removed. What’s the school of thought on using the larger rings? (PS, the bandaid is for you @NLXTACY)

View attachment 2733796
Problem solved. Local auto upholstery shop down the block gave me a handful of stainless rings for free. #Winning!

About 10 years ago I disassembled my front seats to wash the fabric in the washing machine and repair the seat bottom foam. When I was putting them back together I wondered why anyone bothers with the hog rings as I was able to get the job done completely using Ty-Raps. :meh:

547EDC19-783D-4486-A129-E8DFB18F1BC6.jpeg

About 10 years ago I disassembled my front seats to wash the fabric in the washing machine and repair the seat bottom foam. When I was putting them back together I wondered why anyone bothers with the hog rings as I was able to get the job done completely using Ty-Raps. :meh:

View attachment 2734425
That's some electrician stuff going on there.

Is this worth doing Myself with a Quote of $500 labor to do Front and Rear Rows if I remove seats and take them to his Upholstery Shop?

Is this worth doing Myself with a Quote of $500 labor to do Front and Rear Rows if I remove seats and take them to his Upholstery Shop?

I replaced my front DS foam cushion a couple of months ago, washed and dried my cloth cover and reinstalled it in three hours tops. I used tie straps in lieu of hog rings and it was easy to knock out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom