HJ61 24v alternator replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perhaps, but it seems like there have been a few reports of fairly new aftermarket cylinders going bad. I just mention it 'cause people tend to believe that something new can't go bad...
But I'm happy to agree it's not super likely- just seems like the symptoms sound a lot like a master cylinder internal seal failure, although as likely to be a bubble somewhere...

Again , if it was the booster, it would be the same as a bad vacuum pump with the pedal being hard rather than soft. Im pretty sure you have air in there somewhere. If the master cyl is leaking pressure, you can hold your foot on the pedal and the pedal will slowly drop.
Air is just spongy

Thanks rosco I'll try that.

It's an AISIN master cylinder-- I got it from Cruiser Outfitters.

I'm going to take it back to the shop now that there's obviously a problem and have them run through what you guys mentioned, see if they can pinpoint it.

Update: I bought this Isuzu alternator to try-- won't fit as-is but it looks like it would work fine if the vacuum pump pulley wasn't so long-- looks like it's got channels for 3 belts when I only need 1. The shop said they weren't comfortable replacing the pulley since messing with it could change the torgue/tension or something which could cause issues down the road.

So.. I'm on the lookout for a comparable alternator with shorter pulley.

Update: I bought this Isuzu alternator to try-- won't fit as-is but it looks like it would work fine if the vacuum pump pulley wasn't so long-- looks like it's got channels for 3 belts when I only need 1. The shop said they weren't comfortable replacing the pulley since messing with it could change the torgue/tension or something which could cause issues down the road.

So.. I'm on the lookout for a comparable alternator with shorter pulley.

did you ever find one?

Hi all-- the alternator in my HJ61 is shot and needs replacing. I'm seeing some suggestions to go with an Isuzu truck alternator with vacuum pump but I'm not sure which will fit. I'm looking for something that won't need any major modifications since I won't be swapping it out myself.

Also, is there a certain amperage that I should be looking for?

Any guidance is much appreciated, thanks!
Just thought I would report that I read through this string on replacing an HJ61 alternator with an Izuzu with vacuum pump. I got one brand new for 280 bucks that puts out a whopping 80 amps. It required the following modifications

1) a shorter belt cost 25 bucks
2 a 1/8 brass tee off on the vacuum line (there is only one vacuum on the new alternator cost 11 dollars use hose clamps
3) grinding the OEM mount so the new alternator fits (3 inch vs 4 inch) Surprisingly this works well. Match the new alternator to the front of cruiser side and grind the middle of the mount on the aft side leave enough metal to match thickness of the rest of mount
4) taking the triple pulley off the new alternator and putting the old one on
5) wiring the new internally regulated alternator to the B or bulb terminal. You can also use ignition.

If not sure which is which turn key on and look for voltage with multimeter B is usually slightly lower voltage
6)grinding about 1 mm of metal off the bottom of the upper mount as it JUST fits super snug

Result was great! Everything works and 80 amps is Awesome!!!!turn on the lights!!!thNks for this posting saved me a LOT of money and new system is better than old.

Just thought I would report that I read through this string on replacing an HJ61 alternator with an Izuzu with vacuum pump. I got one brand new for 280 bucks that puts out a whopping 80 amps. It required the following modifications

1) a shorter belt cost 25 bucks
2 a 1/8 brass tee off on the vacuum line (there is only one vacuum on the new alternator cost 11 dollars use hose clamps
3) grinding the OEM mount so the new alternator fits (3 inch vs 4 inch) Surprisingly this works well. Match the new alternator to the front of cruiser side and grind the middle of the mount on the aft side leave enough metal to match thickness of the rest of mount
4) taking the triple pulley off the new alternator and putting the old one on
5) wiring the new internally regulated alternator to the B or bulb terminal. You can also use ignition.

If not sure which is which turn key on and look for voltage with multimeter B is usually slightly lower voltage
6)grinding about 1 mm of metal off the bottom of the upper mount as it JUST fits super snug

Result was great! Everything works and 80 amps is Awesome!!!!turn on the lights!!!thNks for this posting saved me a LOT of money and new system is better than old.
@mikecanada - So you bought that Isuzu alternator and it worked out in the end? Just a bit of f**cery?

Does anyone know the exact model Isuzu Alternator mikecanada used.
the links provided in previous posts list a few alternatives.

The HSX041 quoted by roscofj73 is rather large not sure it will fit.
It is available off the shelf @NAPA here in West .OZ

I have a new 24v alternator requiring an external regulator and my local Auto electrician is having trouble wiring it up.
It could be the new Reg is actually faulty so am buying another.
Alternator is charging at full rate, not being regulated .
any help appreciated..

Resurrecting this discussion to keep it all together. Assuming the 12HT runs the same alternator as a 2H, the OEX HXA027 contains the physical specs we need to match. This is the 12v version, but it gives us the specs we can match 24v units
1689647164558.png

1689647192981.png

Foot to foot 105mm
Adj hole to pivot hole 175mm
Shaft diameter 17mm

The NAPA catalogue contains one 24V alternator that matches the specs and comes with a 50cc vac pump and external regulation. Plug is different but should be easy to swap pins around.

1689647371335.png

1689647395953.png

Anyone tried one of these?

Last edited:
Resurrecting this discussion to keep it all together. Assuming the 12HT runs the same alternator as a 2H, the OEX HXA027 contains the physical specs we need to match.
View attachment 3376458

View attachment 3376459

Foot to foot 105mm
Adj hole to pivot hole 175mm
Shaft diameter 17mm

The NAPA catalogue contains one 24V alternator that matches the specs and comes with a 50cc vac pump and external regulation. Plug is different but should be easy to swap pins around.

View attachment 3376462

View attachment 3376463

Anyone tried one of these?
The HXA004 is also from an old vehicle (Nissan SD22) and may be difficult to obtain. Be careful in choosing to make sure you get the 50cc vacuum pump, not the 30cc vacuum pump in other similar models.

New OEX Alternator Regulator 24V - External To Suit Hitachi #RGX4026 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/334861894581? looks like it is a replacement regulator with pinouts.
1689687386704.png

1689687436108.png

The HXA004 is also from an old vehicle (Nissan SD22) and may be difficult to obtain. Be careful in choosing to make sure you get the 50cc vacuum pump, not the 30cc vacuum pump in other similar models.

New OEX Alternator Regulator 24V - External To Suit Hitachi #RGX4026 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/334861894581? looks like it is a replacement regulator with pinouts.
View attachment 3376634

View attachment 3376635
The HXA041 has a foot to foot length of 81mm compared to the 12HT 105mm. Other measurements such at the Adjustment hole to Pivot hole is correct at 175mm and a shaft diameter of 17mm meaning the 12HT pulley will swap over.

Internal regulator.

1689687936975.png

1689689346551.png

Last edited:
The HXA041 has a foot to foot length of 81mm compared to the 12HT 105mm. Other measurements such at the Adjustment hole to Pivot hole is correct at 175mm and a shaft diameter of 17mm meaning the 12HT pulley will swap over.

Internal regulator.

View attachment 3376658
Other options if you are okay with grinding and cutting the foot length.

Need to add an external vacuum pump with these ones.

1689688994317.png

1689689263727.png

Last edited:
why cant you just go to your local starter/alternator rebuilder?

why cant you just go to your local starter/alternator rebuilder?
That was going to be my question as well. I had my 24v 12ht starter rebuilt a while back and have not had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom