HJ61 24v alternator replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all-- the alternator in my HJ61 is shot and needs replacing. I'm seeing some suggestions to go with an Isuzu truck alternator with vacuum pump but I'm not sure which will fit. I'm looking for something that won't need any major modifications since I won't be swapping it out myself.

Also, is there a certain amperage that I should be looking for?

Any guidance is much appreciated, thanks!

The 24v only have half the amperage of the 12v, so you need something in the 40-60 amp range

Did you check your local starter alternator rebuild shop?
A couple of phone calls while drinking coffee might work.
Just rebuilt my BJ70 12v unit for $180.00 new regulator and bearings.
Good luck

Check out dahkee.com
Gives you some cross reference applications. Helpful when looking for parts....

Hi all-- the alternator in my HJ61 is shot and needs replacing. I'm seeing some suggestions to go with an Isuzu truck alternator with vacuum pump but I'm not sure which will fit. I'm looking for something that won't need any major modifications since I won't be swapping it out myself.

Also, is there a certain amperage that I should be looking for?

Any guidance is much appreciated, thanks!
The Isuzu are made for/by Toyota the only thing to consider is the direction the vacuum nozzle comes out at.
John Barron used to run Radd Cruisers and he had a part number that was a bolt in. I don't recall, it was a while ago
go me. That link you have should work. Just go into the specs and see what all the unit fits.

Is your’s 12 or 24 volt?

Is your’s 12 or 24 volt?

24v

Thanks guys.. yeah I thought about trying to have it rebuilt but after a couple of mechanics looked at it and told me it was donezo I was discouraged from looking into it. I should though, better to see for myself than to take their word for it. I've been looking at lots of pictures and have been trying to match up the bolt holes/orientation, etc.

I also came across this.. not sure about the quality but at least it would fit and is pretty inexpensive: For Toyota Landcruiser HJ61 Alternator 86-91 12HT 6 Cylinder 4.0L Turbo Diesel | eBay

The one you link to on eBay is a 12V alternator. All LC stuff out of Australia is 12V. You need a Japanese, or Euro spec alternator.
Here is one you can get from Cruiser World in The Netherlands -> Engines & engine parts | Cruiser World. Looks like they have both 12V and 24V ones.
Ask for Maarten (the owner) and tell him that Sean from Austin, TX, told you to contact him. My friend Mauricio and I spent some time with Maarten at his shop a couple years back. He is good people and knows his stuff. He will be a fantastic source for you to get your hard to find HJ61 stuff.
You can also reach out to Maarten on WhatsAp @ 31 6 22560401
Let us know how it goes.
-Sean

The one you link to on eBay is a 12V alternator. All LC stuff out of Australia is 12V. You need a Japanese, or Euro spec alternator.
Here is one you can get from Cruiser World in The Netherlands -> Engines & engine parts | Cruiser World. Looks like they have both 12V and 24V ones.
Ask for Maarten (the owner) and tell him that Sean from Austin, TX, told you to contact him. My friend Mauricio and I spent some time with Maarten at his shop a couple years back. He is good people and knows his stuff. He will be a fantastic source for you to get your hard to find HJ61 stuff.
You can also reach out to Maarten on WhatsAp @ 31 6 22560401
Let us know how it goes.
-Sean
Oh awesome! Thanks for the tip!

No problem.
Let us all know how it goes.
-Sean

Oh awesome! Thanks for the tip!

I would send a message to the seller. One the ebay sellers told me he could get the 24v alternators if anyone wanted them but didnt advertise because the call for them in Australia was small.
The other option is to fit a 24V alt and run an electric vacuum pump.

Just a little update, plus maybe a huge revelation...

Cruiser World has a refurb (with aftermarket vacuum pump) that will run me about $550. Definitely more than I wanted to spend but a good option knowing it will fit.

I'm still on the search for an aftermarket. I've contacted the places you guys mentioned above, waiting to hear back. The eBay guy who's link I posted said they only deal with Aussie 12v's.

Does anyone happen to know if the 12v's and 24v's are the same size and fit or if they're different (other than the voltage)? I've found some good photos of the 12v online but not many confirmed 24v pics.

Thought about trying this and just returning it if it doesn't fit: NEW 24V ALTERNATOR FITS ISUZU NPR NKR ELF 4HF1 4HG1 ENGINE 8-97300-350-0 8-97300-350 I read somewhere that Toyota makes Isuzu's alternators and they look pretty darn similar, so maybe it'll work?

Ok, so for the revelation. I've been having what I thought were unrelated issues with my brakes. I've replaced the master cylinder and booster and had it flushed (by a brake shop) less than 3 months ago. They were good for maybe a week, then intermittently good/bad and almost totally soft now now the pedal goes straight to the floor with hardly any resistance and to brake I have to press hard to squeeze out a little power from the last centimeter.
I didn't really know what the vacuum pump on the alternator was for, so I Googled it and found that it produces the vacuum for the brakes. I knew the alternator was going bad because the batteries weren't always getting charged, but could a bad vacuum pump be the cause of my brake issues?

Last edited:
A failing vacuum pump should require more force on the brake pedal. I'm going by your terminology, but brake "softness" is not what I would expect- I would actually expect harder brakes that needed more of a kick to activate...

If you want to take the vacuum pump out of the braking equation, disconnect the booster and plug the lines. That way anything intermittent with the pump will be removed and you can assess the brakes by themselves. They will be harder to operate, but they should be consistent.

They were good for maybe a week, then intermittently good/bad and almost totally soft now. Barely any power.

As Freewheel pointed out this is not usually associated with low vacuum. There are tests somewhere in the workshop manual for the vacuum pump.
This could be your brake slave dying or calipers.
Edit I meant calipers or wheel cyls

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Toyota makes Isuzu's alternators

Sort of. Denso make the electrical parts for Toyota and Toyota own Denso ( I have a Denso system on my Triumph bike). No doubt that Isuzu alt could be made to work.

After looking through some Australian catalogs, I think the Isuzu alternators are branded as Hitachi, although they look the same as Denso
On pg 167 at the top is an Isuzu 24v 50 amp alternator for the same engine as in your Amazon link with vacuum pump. It also has the important dimensions and plug type. You can flick through the pages quick by clicking on "page over view"

Yeah sorry, "soft" was a little vague. I updated with a more accurate description.

now the pedal goes straight to the floor with hardly any resistance and to brake I have to press hard to squeeze out a little power from the last centimeter

I had the calipers, rotors and drums checked last time I took it in.. didn't find any issues. I will look into the slave.

Super helpful guys, thanks!

If your brake fluid level is good, and you are sure there are no bubbles or leaks in the system anywhere, then it sure sounds like your brand new master cylinder is failing.

Was it an OEM Aisin? Or aftermarket, or rebuild?

And did your shop power flush the system? I've seen some pretty persistent bubbles form in the 60 series brakes master cylinder...

Ive always had good luck with aftermarket master cylinders. Making a defective brake part that caused injury or death would be a lawyers breakfast. I think finding a defective one would be like winning lotto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom