Hilux Import Question - VIN Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum. Currently stationed in Germany and looking to bring a Hilux with the 2.4D back stateside once I PCS (truck is a doublecab — is it going to be completely underpowered?). I have found a truck I would like to potentially bring back but it is an ex-military truck (was in service with the Danish). Truck is super low miles. The only problem is the only document the truck comes with is a letter of release from the Danish military, which does not define the year. I had the dealer that has it for sale contact the German TÜV and they provided a document that states the vehicle is a 1996 (based off of the VIN, I presume) but when I run any various VIN Decoder on the truck, it comes back as a 1995. The truck was also originally listed on the dealer’s site as a 1995, which makes me think something isn’t adding up. Since I will be looking to import the vehicle at some point, I want to make sure the paperwork is square. Does anyone know how these older Toyota VINs work? The digit in the “year” code is a 0, which I cannot find defined anywhere as most guides are written with newer vehicles in mind.

I have e-mailed Toyota of Denmark and they were absolutely no help even though I provided the VIN.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, I am aware of the 25 year import law, etc. i have a few more years here, so the 1995 or
1996 year would work for me. Truck is also
Completely original but was repainted due to need for a high visibility color on an airfield. So, I think I would be OK in those areas. Just don’t want customs to think I am trying to pull a fast one with the age/original year of the vehicle.

Thanks for your reply. I assume US Customs will not allow for just a simple print out from a VIN Decoder as proof of the age though, correct?

I have read in various places on this forum that they have but I wouldn’t count on that. Is there no year on any of the VIN plates? Normally there is one under the hood and one in the driver’s door jamb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom