hillybilly oil changes -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I was feeling quite the DIYer last night and settled down to what should have been a relaxing oil change on my 80 --

-- this is the 2nd change I've done since owning the vehicle, and last time, I was sure to not tighten the oil filter too much, lest I have more loosening woes --

-- well, it happened again -- somehow, this thing wouldn't turn a bit -- there was even a point where I was imagining the filter was turning, but when I looked at it, it hand't moved an inch -- :doh:

-- so, I made a ritual visit to Autozone, where the service sucks, the parts are worse, and people heckle my dogs who await me in the car -- :slap:

-- the socket I bought FIT the 2004 filter in the store, yet it WOULDN'T fit the 2004 on my 80 once I got home -- ahhh, the pleasure of a slipping filter socket -- :flipoff2:

-- so then, I started hammering the wrench to deform it so it would cup on to my filter -- no luck. :rolleyes:

Finally, I used the advice of a fellow lister back on SOR and got a big hammer and a bigger screw driver -- I positioned the driver on the LH side of the filter and slowly tapped away at the filter -- this slow motion quickly got quicker, and before long, I punctured the filter and had oil leaking in the catch-container below -- :'(

-- but, my filter finally turned, fell off, and I installed my new 2004 plus 7.8 quarts of syn. and was on my way -- :cheers:

eric

Go buy one of those "TV only" wrap around wrench jobbies...

They work wonders for things like this.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=5541;start=msg43690#msg43690 date=1064242407]
Go buy one of those "TV only" wrap around wrench jobbies...

They work wonders for things like this.
[/quote]

I tried a band-one before, Dan, and it absolutely sucked -- it couldn't get a good grip on the filter -- what's "TV only" mean??

eric

By far the best oil filter wrench I have used is the Snap On. it's has 3 claws that tighten and grip the filter.........works wonderfull, cost is like $30.

John H

i'm guessing the TV only ones are those ones on late night infomercials that claim to do away with all tools with one nifty little vice grip looking thing

I can gennerally get them off with the Kung-Fu grip, but when they are really tight I use a pair of oil filter pliers. They are like a pair of channel locks like I used to use, but with large curved jaws with big ol' teeth. They tend to destroy the filter, but not as much as a screwdriver and hammer. :D I can fit them down to the large oil filter on the 80 without too much trouble.

SAND PAPER! dude, sand paper works wonders. take about half a sheet and wrap it around the filter, use your kungfoo grip and it wil take it right off. try it sometime! always works for me

-Bryan

Not only sandpaper but an old belt. Wrap the belt around the filter, cinch it, climb underneath and loosen slightly by pulling down, easiest way for me on a 1FZ-FE, never had a filter that couldn't be loosed by a belt.

I find that a good, stiff belt helps to................Oh, nevermind :whoops:

I have one of the Channelock brand wrenches and works great on my 80 and 4Runner, it does mangle them pretty good though.

large pipe wrench. :D
Sean

I have one of the Channelock brand wrenches and works great on my 80 and 4Runner, it does mangle them pretty good though.
I hate when this happens, as I cant sell it to the next PITA that wants a "cheap" oil change with a toyota filter . :D I do put in new oil though but it is the cheapest I can get :slap:
Just kidding, I only do that to people like Junk :flipoff2:

When I use the kung fu technique I find it has to be accompanied by the karate yell.

Two things I have done is to cover the end of the filter with sand paper and drive the filter wrench over the paper. Sometimes just enough to work.

The other one is more Medieval. I drilled a couple of holes in one of those cheap metal socket type removers and screwed in a couple of #10 x 1 inch screws. I drive this on and something usually gives. A little messy but what the hey.

Depends on what the situation is and whats handy.
Bill

can you get the oil filter removal belt device thingy? Its a bit of square steel pipe with a slit in one end that seatbelt goes through. The belt is just long enough to fit over the filter and a few turns around the steel pipe tightens it. Then you use a shifter to turn the steel pipe, and the pipe tightens the belt which removes the filter. It works everytime flawlessly without damaging the filter. Its way better then those bloody steel filter claw things.

Sam

Once the filter gasket contacts the block, I turn it about 1/3 turn. In 10 years I've never had one leak, and I've never had to use anything but my hands to turn one off. I do it from above to avoid the inevitable supertanker-esque spill. The sandpaper thing is a great idea as even with this approach they sometimes require a bit of a kungfu yell to break loose....

IdahoDoug

I only do that to people like Junk
Koffer - want to know the source of that nice sludge in your 1FZ-FE? :flipoff2: Give ya a hint. [imghttp://www.yourlandcruiser.com/images/fu/aktion082.gif[/img] :flipoff2:

sandpaper
Carefull Gumby. I think he meant he uses sandpaper on his tool. :eek: :flipoff2:

If you only put it on hand tight, how hard can it be to take off?
smilie_tischkante.gif

Thank goodness IdahoDoug:
The harder you put an oil filter on, the harder it is to come off. IdahoDoug's technique is the correct way to install an oil or any kind of filter that employs a rubber gromet/gasket. Once you get these gaskets snug, the heat of the engine will make them even more tighter. I have strained for 45 min before trying to get filters off 18-wheelers just because some knuckle head put too much elbow grease on it. :flipoff2: This is the only way to go.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=5541;start=msg43693#msg43693 date=1064242812]
By far the best oil filter wrench I have used is the Snap On. it's has 3 claws that tighten and grip the filter.........works wonderfull, cost is like $30.

John H
[/quote]

Here's a cheap alternative that works pretty good...
Oilfiltrwrnch7818.jpg

Found here... http://toolguy.com/handtools2.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom