Hi to everyone, new to this form. Need help with getting truck to pass smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have got a tps and a oxy sensor from rock auto. The oxy sensor is a little longer than the one I took out, so does that matter. It is the only one I could match up to be the one I needed. There help is zero for helping you get the right part.

I have been told that the tps is a little tricky to put in so does any one have any tips for me on how to?

Thanks for your help. Gary

I think Mudder posted the TPS setting instructions or a link earlier. IIRC you need a multimeter and a feeler gauge. The old screws are easy to strip, so go easy own them. I think 4Crawler was an enterprise that used to sell things like improved TPS screws. Not sure if he still does, because I haven't messed with my TPS for a while. There was a vast improvement when I installed a new TPS.

I fixed all emissions parts and set a date for test. Went to the gas station and on the way the truck lost power as if it was running out of gas. Put 10 gal. of fuel in and still had the problem. Though it was a fuel problem so I replaced the fuel filter and that did not help. The engine just lopes or surges and if I advance the rpms it only goes to about 1500 rpms and surges. Any Ideas?

w

Check all the connections on everything you have touched. The last thing you worked on will be the next thing that fails.

I’m in the middle of smog myself, EFFF Cali smog! Failed once due to high nox levels but not by much. Got a new cat coming which is the only thing on this truck that isn’t new so fingers crossed. Seriously hope you pass though. It’s causing me a ton of anxiety... (especially considering I never BAR’d my re swap)... 3 shops haven’t caught it though so I think I’m clear. The VINs on these trucks are really vague with info...
I kinda agree with Pappy that the O2 isn’t necessarily a piece of smog equipment. It DEFINITELY is needed to pass smog but the power gains, fuel economy and overall proper and smooth function of the EFI system outweigh defining it smog equipment in my opinion.

Air flow meter, its on top of the airfilter box and has to tube that connects to the intake going to it.

Air flow meter, its on top of the airfilter box and has to tube that connects to the intake going to it.
The rubber hose is known to crack and cause a vacuum leak. If it's been off you could have damaged it.

Last edited:
Well the story continues. I found a emissions part the is not hooked up and can not find where it hooks to. It is called AS reed valve or PAIR valve, From the diagram I have in a very poor book it looks like it is pluged in to the VSV but there is no where to plug it i to. There are no open places I can find to put it. every thing has a tube in it.

The Haynes book I am using has a picture of a 88-89 motor with vacum lines shown and there are only 3 lines going to the throttle body, mine has 4 like a 90. I am very confused. Any Help?

I will have to find out where to plug in the valve before I can get it tested

the first pic is of the motor I should have but the 90 seems to be the one i have,
the second pic is the vacuum routing
the third is what they are calling AS reed valve. As you can see NO vacuum live attached
the fourth pic is of the VSV (for the AS). the front live goes to the throttle body and the other line goes to the vacuum valve on the back of the motor passenger side in pic 5
the fifth pic is of vacuum valve on rear of motor

As you can see from the pics the there is no ware to put a vacum line from the AS valve. I need it pluged in to something. If I were to take th line off the valve on the back of the motor and plug in the AS to it then where would I plug inn the one on the back to?

Any thoughts?

DSCF0625.JPG

DSCF0624.JPG

DSCF0618.JPG

DSCF0619.JPG

DSCF0621.JPG

Disclaimer, I'm not familiar with the later 22RE vacuum lines. My early engine is much simpler.

That said, looking at the last FSM drawing, the AS/PAR valve vacuum line goes to the VSV. From the VSV it goes through the check valve to the TB. But, it looks like you have hard lines to feed it though. I would check the routing from the VSV to the TB. I suspect something is either missing, or hooked up incorrectly. With that much vacuum line it's easy to get things messed up.

That last picture from the back of the engine is your fuel pressure regulator. It also goes to a VSV. I don't think it's related.

I have the same year engine. I’ll snap a pic when I get home to show you where that AS reed valve vacuum line goes. 99% positive that it goes to the far back of the vacuum tree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom