Hey Doc, How bad is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.destechservices.com
So I changed my 60's name from La Burra (the Mule) to The Leaker because IT LEAKS LIKE IT WAS USED TO TRY OUT 00-BUCK!!!

I headed out to the car wash and washed, soap, rinse, degreaser, rinse... Blah Blah Blah. I'm going to try and find out where is all the oil comming from. Driving arouind and it smells...
I've changed the valve cover gasket and I'm looking at the rear mail seal as another problem... Anyone got an Exploded view of the block to see where are possible "oil springs".
Here are some photos taken after the wash...
I've ran into some $$ And need to order whatever it needs ASAP.

2011-05-02181920.jpg

2011-05-02181940.jpg

2011-05-02182009.jpg

2011-05-02182226.jpg

2011-05-02182206.jpg

2011-05-02181727.jpg

2011-05-02181637.jpg

Tranny/trasfer case aint that bad but I need a rebuild...

Compression is at 153-163 throughout the six cylinders...

Valve cover gasket & bolt washers

Start at the top and work your way down. The valve cover gasket and the valve cover bolt wahsers are a good place to start. I like cork with some Right Stuff between the cover and the gasket. Did I mention the Right Stuff.

Gravity is going make everything run downward so eliminating leaks from the top down will make it easier to pinpoint the leaks as you work your way to the pan.

Great... The PVC? OH I just cant take the stiff rubber off....:crybaby: .. She's been parked for over a year and I"m planning to clean her up.

I'm thinking I put the gasket wrong? Do I order another one?

not that i see evidence of it (not enough experience) but have you addressed the famous oil galley plug?

I need to do the same project. Pretty much my whole motor is covered in oil, and my power steering box is just caked with grime. Runs like a champ though :eek:

Go through and tighten up the side cover, valve cover and oil pan gaskets, then wash again. If you're still leaking, you know what you need to replace.

If you tighten up those side cover bolts, go easy on them. That head pops right off, if you go much past the fsm tourqe (35 in lbs. i believe).

looks about like mine. been dealing with it for as long as i've had the truck. finally developed a leak at the timing cover that couldn't be ignored. once the engine warms up a bit i've got a steady stream of oil from behind the pulley. bought the gasket overhaul kit from ccot. figured i'd just pull the engine and replace them all at once. gaskets appear to be quality but i guess i won't know until the engine re-installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom