Builds Here we go (FJ-40 getting a 3B/Turbo/H55f)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks alright I guess; if you're in to that sort of thing. If you are getting sick of looking at it by now, you should drive it up to Santa Fe and leave it in my garage.:grinpimp:

I'll have to pull it outside and ponder on that one. ;) FWIW--I'll paint the bumper on my 45 that same Argent Silver too. That's the CCOT HFS winch bumper in it's "standard" silver (which interestingly enough is different than the non winch CCOT bumper Dad had before). I've got a pristine stock bumper for my 45, I'll have to find some paint to match...

I've got next week off, but I'm not sure if I'll get to head down and work on the 40. Lilacs are blooming (and I'm planning to head to Spokane for the Lilac festival with the :princess:, plus I've got my sort of secret other thing taking up all my time for another month and a half....)

Dan

nice job, you should be proud ... seriously.

Thanks. I think it's safe to say you know what a good looking cruiser is, so that's pretty big...

I'm proud of how it looks now, but I won't allow myself to be truly proud until it's kicking along the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado for a few thousand miles. But it is tantalizingly close. And, it's almost summer, so we've got some good times coming up for a soft top 40... ;)

Then I get to focus on the 45, which won't get to be near as pretty as this one, but hopefully I can do even better mechanically...

Dan

Ok, so I'm finally getting a few minutes to work on some odds and ends. For some odd reason the EDIC motor doesn't want to work now. Which is a little perplexing, because it was working perfectly earlier. Now, I haven't hooked up a battery yet, just a small power supply, so I'm hoping that's the problem...

But it's full of water, the brakes work, it steers.... If I can figure out the EDIC, then I should be taking it for a spin!

Notice the fog lamps? Dad saw some at CM, so he just had to get a set. Nice, eh?

Also, the mobile app rules woody!

Dan
image-455696076.jpg
image-529241015.jpg

Looking good Dan! I can't wait to see a video of it driving.

So.... three steps forward, two steps back...

It is officially ready to put fuel in the tank and give it a shot. Unfortunately, the newly rebuilt starter has so far decided to not engage the flywheel. It spins, but the bendix sure isn't connecting to the engine.

On the plus side, the EDIC motor is working--although I'm not positive it's working correctly (kind of looks to move to stop instead of run??). I don't remember changing the length of the arm for it, but maybe it got lengthened while it was out and I missed it...

Also, the key no longer makes the starter do anything. Not sure what's up with that. Kind of perplexing really, because it's such a simple system (literally a wire from the ignition switch to the starter).

Dan

Isn't there a starter relay? I have a spare if you need a 24v version to test.

K

Isn't there a starter relay? I have a spare if you need a 24v version to test.

K

This starter has a relay on it. Using my super backup starting system, the starter gets power, the solenoid closes, and the starter spins, but the bendix drive doesn't engage the flywheel. I'm hoping it's just that I was using a little depleted battery, so it's on a charger right now so I can see if I can get it to spin the engine in a little bit. I've also got a spare 12V starter on the shelf, but I'm just hoping to avoid having to dig into that. Especially since this starter was just rebuilt...

I'd LOVE to at least get it started and the fuel bled out tonight, because then I'd be able to take it for a spin real quick tomorrow before I have to head back up to CO....

Dan

Quick update..... The starter now engages the flywheel without problem. I guess that a half charged battery just couldn't spin it fast enough to push the bendix drive out. It took some spinning cycles and maybe a love tap with a hammer or two, but it's not engaging every single time.

Which is good, but.... Small problem, probably related to the ignition switch not spinning the starter: there is a wire in that bundle that gets HOT when the key is on. It's the pink one. Funny thing is, Toyota doesn't even mention the possibility of a pink wire in the wiring diagram, so I'm at a loss as to what it is. It looks like the pink wire runs out to a resistor or something, where it then terminates, and runs out of the other side as a B-Y wire (which is on whenever the key is on).

Funny thing is, I just disconnected all of the gas engine smog stuff, so if it's getting this hot now, I must have a short inside the wiring bundle or something. I doubt I'll have time to troubleshoot it tomorrow before I head back to CO, but I'll probably try...

Dan

Come on Dan, where are the updates? I'm getting withdrawals and Cruise Moab's been over with for a while...

Come on Dan, where are the updates? I'm getting withdrawals and Cruise Moab's been over with for a while...

Been working WAY too much.

But.... I will either be there next week, or the week after and we'll see how it goes....

I'm getting withdrawals too. I haven't touched a wrench in weeks!

Dan

Dan anything new?

Dan anything new?

LOTS that's new.... but nothing new with the 40. I haven't had time to even set foot in the shop for the past month. I'm going to try next week to make it down for two days...

Dan

Not really any pictures to post right now, but....

I fixed the short in the wiring that would have caused a fire. So that's nice. I still have to figure out why the starter won't engage when the key is turned, but will if the alternate method is used, but other than that--it's ready to start.

I've got a good chunk of time off starting next week, so.... fingers crossed...

Dad mounted up the 8074 though, and I had to play with it...

I only had a night, and a day to play. Last night we cut off the stupid bumper on Dad's 60 and put on his ARB, and today I mostly did other project stuff, but got a few hours to troubleshoot the wiring, reassemble the Safari turbo, and other odds and ends on the 40.

Dan

So, would it blow your mind to hear that it runs?

The EDIC is shutting it off, presumably due to the oil pressure sensor, so I need to sort that out, but pretty much.... :bounce::bounce::bounce:

More pictures to come, but after dinner.

Dan

I think it's a complete Donaldson unit.

It is. It's an FPG series Donaldson. The local Donaldson supplier had a few on the shelf, so I started with the ones with the correct diameter outlet (to match the turbo inlet) and went from there.

Wayne: I'm really impressed with it. If we had a Toyota cylindrical filter housing we might have used that instead, but we didn't, and the Donaldson is pretty nice.

Dan

I lied with regard to pictures. My camera seems to suck now, so pictures may take a while....

So, I offer this video instead. :steer: I took Mom for a quick spin in it, and she filmed it a bit. She also doesn't understand that you don't turn a video camera on it's side while filming, but.....

Still a couple wiring issues to sort out (EDIC power, gauge pod power, and ignition switch related), and I found a couple of the copper O-rings in the fuel system were leaking (which is why you hear the air in the fuel towards the end of the video), but....

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom