Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been troubleshooting a parasitic drain, long story short, I just threw in a new battery showing 12.8v. Took her for a spin, got home and let her run in the driveway while I turned on headlights etc to measure amp draws. I kicked in the ARB twin compressor and let it fill. I then activated the rear ARB locker, and the truck died. I’m still showing 12.8v at the battery, but the truck won’t turn over. No lights or anything registers in the dash when I turn the key. I did not install the ARB stuff, but I’d imagine all of this should be separate from the main vehicle systems? Is there a fuse I should look at first?? The key does nothing when turning it and I have good voltage at the battery. Help!

SOLVED EDIT:

I figured it out. The aftermarket terminal clamps I have don’t form as snug of a grip needed on the battery terminals of this new battery. I was measuring voltage on the terminals, but when I measured on the clamps I got nothing. Gave them a jiggle and it came back. Weird that it coincided with me activating the locker though... all is well.

Last edited:
It almost sounds like the cable to the starter isn’t connected. You may want to verify that it is, and that your fusible links are good.

It almost sounds like the cable to the starter isn’t connected. You may want to verify that it is, and that your fusible links are good.

I figured it out. The aftermarket terminal clamps I have don’t form as snug of a grip needed on the battery terminals of this new battery. I was measuring voltage on the terminals, but when I measured on the clamps I got nothing. Gave them a jiggle and it came back. Weird that it coincided with me activating the locker though... all is well. Thanks for the response.

Weird that it coincided with me activating the locker though... all is well.

Not weird at all. Engaging the lockers draws additional current from the battery to activate the electric solenoids. The loose and more than likely partially corroded connections to the battery can create even higher points of resistance/insulation in the connection. The critical threshold was of the connection was exceeded. Rotate/move the terminals lessens the resistance. That is why it is always very important to thoroughly clean posts and clamps, neutralize any battery acid to minimize the resistance in the connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom