Help with power steering high pressure hose (pic) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys. I installed the high pressure hose and new crush washer and torqued it down on the bench. Then tried to install and it would not lign up because it was hitting alternator bracket. So I took it out, took the hp line off, put the pump in then installed the hp hose and torqued it but as you see in the pic, the hose hits the alternator bracket, and the hp hose tab didn’t make it around to the stop on the pump. So it slightly leaks.
What am I doing wrong?!
873391D2-6599-42B9-93DE-54D9A519C8C9.jpeg

Loosen that nut and rotate the tab so
It’s hitting its stop then torque to spec. Not a lot of fun tightening that one. That hose should orient correctly with the tab touching the stop.

It’s the black tab on the hard line that I cannot turn any further because the hose is hitting the lower alternator bracket. (Left yellow arrow in pic)

Should (must) also replace the dual crush washer even if a new washer was just installed for a short time, once crushed it won't seal properly/completely a second time if reused.

Last edited:
Kernal I am getting smarter as I get older! I bought 3 crush washers just in case and did replace after the first attempt. Still the curved 3 inches off the nut hits the alternator before the tab rotates to the stop on the pump

Ok when i replaced mine i installed the hose after the pump was installed. Made lining up the threads very hard but i got it. I do not believe the hose I replaced was OEM nor in the correct location as i couldnt get it to not hit the bracket until i changed where the big uturn was sitting. What helped me get a clue on that is the attachment point in the bottom of the U helped me see where I should have the hose located.

Second i didn't toque down the hose. I just felt the crushwasher give a little and i figured that it was where it needed to be.

Hope that helps

Ok when i replaced mine i installed the hose after the pump was installed. Made lining up the threads very hard but i got it. I do not believe the hose I replaced was OEM nor in the correct location as i couldnt get it to not hit the bracket until i changed where the big uturn was sitting. What helped me get a clue on that is the attachment point in the bottom of the U helped me see where I should have the hose located.

Second i didn't toque down the hose. I just felt the crushwasher give a little and i figured that it was where it needed to be.

Hope that helps
Ok thanks clx 16. I just can’t turn the hose (banjo) far enough clockwise so it hits its tab on the pump without it hitting the alternator. So the resistance to torque it down is coming from the alternator not that tab where it’s supposed to. I have an extra new crush washer so I guess I can try again.

Ok thanks clx 16. I just can’t turn the hose (banjo) far enough clockwise so it hits its tab on the pump without it hitting the alternator. So the resistance to torque it down is coming from the alternator not that tab where it’s supposed to. I have an extra new crush washer so I guess I can try again.
Is this an aftermarket hose?

If so the tab may not be in the right place.

If not, pre-orient the hose too far CCW of where you want it to end up, estimating how far it will rotate before you hit torque (you've done it twice already so you should have an idea!), then install and torque and it will be perfect!

Is this an aftermarket hose?

If so the tab may not be in the right place.

If not, pre-orient the hose too far CCW of where you want it to end up, estimating how far it will rotate before you hit torque (you've done it twice already so you should have an idea!), then install and torque and it will be perfect!
Yes. Original OEM hp hose. As far as I know it does not leak. But I am getting a drip from the banjo.
So I’ll try your idea, and set it CCW of the stop and torque it with a new crush washer. And make another mess while I’m at it!

Guys. I installed the high pressure hose and new crush washer and torqued it down on the bench. Then tried to install and it would not lign up because it was hitting alternator bracket. So I took it out, took the hp line off, put the pump in then installed the hp hose and torqued it but as you see in the pic, the hose hits the alternator bracket, and the hp hose tab didn’t make it around to the stop on the pump. So it slightly leaks.
What am I doing wrong?! View attachment 3046112
Do you have the hose assy twisted or on "backwards" so it's not behaving like it should? My OEM hose dropped right in, aligned perfectly, and the stop worked as it should.

The diagram from Partsouq shows it like it should be oriented.

1656627364749.png

It looks like the banjo end is bent further than it should, if it were me I'd just carefully bend it back and hope the tube doesn't collapse. I highly doubt you could install the hose backwards or upside down, it's pretty specific in fit. I just installed a new high pressure hose and pump as well and while close it does not touch the alternator. I can get pics later.

Bend the HP tube straighter? lol

Ok. Thanks guys it’s possible I bent it removing it from the old pump. I’ll take a second look.

Well glad I ordered a new OEM high pressure hose (35% off at McGeorge Toyota for the 4th of July sale!)
As you can see the old one was a non-OEM with an angle that was too extreme and was hitting the alternator. And leaking. All fixed now!
Fyi, Romers faq states to torque the banjo bolt to 54 lbs but the fsm says 43. Also the return tube torque is 26 ftlbs

B6FCA1EC-4139-4FC2-879C-ED9F9EC81F29.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom