Help needed FJ40 paint. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
I'm very close to top coating the FJ40.
My questions
1 Paint finish . The paint and panel shop are saying a Two PAC is the way to go with a gloss coat over the top.
In the tub preparation I have made sure all the spot welds will show as per factory. I'm worried if I go modern car gloss this will look not good.
What are the Mudders thoughts on this?
What paint brand and sheen is popular here on mud?
2 This is a complete re spray as in both sides of All panels and Tub.
How much paint is required?
Thank you for your help
Cheers
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412801141.339577.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

The original is a single stage with no clear coat. If you are trying to keep it original looking then I would not do a clear coat at all.

The original is a single stage with no clear coat. If you are trying to keep it original looking then I would not do a clear coat at all.

What do you plan to do with it? New single stage paints are extremely durable, shiny and more important much easier to fix or rub out stuff that might happen over the years.

Not sure how much paint. But when I do paint, its going to be single stage.

I'm another single stage guy. I hate the look of clearcoat turning white and peeling off. Single stage is also much easier to touch up , in my opinion.

Hi all
By single stage do you mean no clear coat?
Does not the clear coat give the paint protection against scratches?
And
Does not the clear coat give the paint that new car shine?
The trouble here is if I make the wrong decision it's a lot of work to fix.
It's a bit like laying concrete . Once down its there to stay.
The more I find out about painting a car the more I realise this is a job for a Proffessional Painter.
I can't say I will be sorry to see this part of the resto out of the way.

Back to the paint are there any paint names and any paint types that are better or best?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Hi all
By single stage do you mean no clear coat?
Does not the clear coat give the paint protection against scratches?
And
Does not the clear coat give the paint that new car shine?
The trouble here is if I make the wrong decision it's a lot of work to fix.
It's a bit like laying concrete . Once down its there to stay.
The more I find out about painting a car the more I realise this is a job for a Proffessional Painter.
I can't say I will be sorry to see this part of the resto out of the way.

Back to the paint are there any paint names and any paint types that are better or best?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Depends if you want the factory look or not. Factory was single stage. Personally I don't like super looking fancy paint on a FJ40 - just doesn't fit it to me. I love super shiny look or metallic on other cars. Up to you whether you want that wet shiny look. I posted the same opinion at one point to Ih8mud member and he opted for metallic and clear - but that's cool his car his choice.

But yes clear does protect and you can ask a paint expert more on that. As for paint, most I hear use PPG Single stage. TLC used some high end Glasurit system on one of theirs, I've seen single stage as well on one of their latest ones. But yeah maybe you can use a satin or semi-gloss clear if you want more protection.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/type-of-paint-for-fj40-full-paintjob.356504/page-2

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/colorcodes.html

Good luck post pics after.

Thank you Mcjb
I will take your info to the Paint and panel shop tomorrow .
I will post the out come.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Thank you Mcjb
I will take your info to the Paint and panel shop tomorrow .
I will post the out come.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Why am I double posting ?
Is there a setting for this?
Sorry

...via IH8MUD app

I have often seen the double posting problem, you post and your text is still there and you hit the post again. A single stage can be polished and shine almost like a clear coat. single stage is the exact same material all the way down, so if a scratch or mar does not go all the way through the paint it can be buffed out. If a clear coat gets the same ie through the clear coat but not through the color layer you cannot. A good quality single state and clear coat will protect the same, and a good paint job will not have the clear coat peel off flake or change. But everyone has seen those not good jobs where the clear coat goes hazy an peels off even on some factory jobs. But if you painter messes up a clear coat job, they could also mess up a single stage. Chances are either choice will work out well.

I have heard of people doing clear/single stage, paint a layer of single stage, mix with a little clear and put another layer, then mix with more % of clear and paint another layer. Suppose to give a real cool effect. I have also heard of people putting a clear coat over single stage but that makes no sense to me at all.

I'd go with a single stage - if the paint is designed to be used in a single stage system, it will give a reasonable shine without a clear coat. Also, easier to touch up, and, as a professional detailer, much more relaxing to cut and polish because you're not worried about cutting through the clear.

Single stage seems to be most popular. Sherwin Williams had good choices. Depending on color choice. I like dune beige

I don't think you posted anywhere what look your going for. But if you took the time to duplicate the OEM spot welds I'm guessing a factory look.

In that case single stage factory color would be my call. Most paint suppliers will have a book of factory color codes to choose from.

If your building this for yourself then just paint it the way you want to and don't worry what we think. :).

Hi Corbet
The look I want?
This is a high end rebuild BUT I am building the 40 series to use.
When finished early next year I hope I plan to do a round Australia trip towing a small van.
I do plan to take her off road but not hard core stuff. I will leave that up to the youngsters.
So the finish I'm after needs to be Tuff and scratch resistant but I know I will get stone chips and a dent here and there so a finish that can be touched up would be nice.
Am I asking to much here.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom