Help me fix my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ya buggy gets it

rear engine ls3 dry sump 500hp
atlas 3.8
culhane TT t400 tranny manual VB
10" currie rear arb 35sp 300m
9" Curie front arb, dutman ifs, RCV d60 "birfs", 935 cvs, all 300m
king race 3.5 coils and 5 tube bypass shocks all around
30" travel rear, 22" front
Racepack guages
sparco seats
39 Crawlers with race run flats inside (no spare)

4400 lbs of zombie hunting bliss

That's a real work of art, Dusty. Would like to see it person some day.

You would have to run Dusy in a day 'cause it looks like there's no room for any camping equipment.

fuuny you should mention the lack of camping equipment storage

While the builders were fabbing the chassis I asked them to make a roof rack.
They absolutely refused as "this is a race car"

They did, however make a removable shelf that bolts on the end of the car that serves as a bumper. I can strap a large duffle bag and an ice chest to the removable shelf.

It has small race muflers so its not a pleasant cruising experience. u have to wear ear protection

But it rides like a caddy in all but the worst rockgardens. Its so soft

Beno
I got four kids now and 3 of them are daughters that like boys.

I used 3 things for the boys, once about 7 or 8 kids were headed to my daughters room on halloween. I stopped them on the stairs and said "NO PENISES UPSTAIRS", they all have to pass eating an elk burger and know I shot the elk, I play them a song .

Luv that buggy!

So tell the truth.....

This thread is REALLY about testing all those that reply to see who can get it right. It's not that you really have a problem, 'cause if you have some of these other things hanging around and play with them, you don't really need our help....RIGHT?:flipoff2:

Fuel pump. Do I pass? Do I get a ride?

Not enough info to help. Need a pic of your setup. What year? Do u have the efi with the AFM or the one with the maf? I don't think its fuel pump. But u could check the pressure. Be interested what the toy dealer says, these are antiques for a dealer. Fpr or its vacuum hoses, maf, AFM if it has one all come to mind without more info. So if u start it, let it idle, put it in drive and just floor it what happens?

No trick here. I really need help on this one.

If its idling there perfectly and i floor it the motor chokes and sputters and all but dies. If i nudge the throttle slow and progressive the motor will move past this sputtering spot and start to smooth out. Once the throttle gets pushed all the way down the motor seems to run great. In fact if i have the tranny in drive and get past the sputtering spot the motor will boost strong and pull like nothing is wrong.

No CEL
I did run obd2 and no codes

MAF it may be...
My MAF is in a different position due to my turbo install. After i installed the turbo years ago i unplugged part of the maf wires on accident and it ran funny then. Tom i will look it over and make sure its all plugged in. Perhaps i jostled a wire bouncing through the river

20150118_144053.jpg
20150118_142927.jpg
20150118_142927.jpg
20150118_144053.jpg
20150118_142927.jpg
20150118_142854.jpg

I remember Dusty giving me a ride in this thing down Main Street Moab back in 2009 IIRC, and hearing the turbo spool up was just awesome.

:)

I have not been kind to my 80. This truck has been on its back, sides and nose on many occasions. All the glass is busted out. The dana 70 has imploded and the 35spline shafts have exploded. (now run 35sp 300m with drive flanges) I bounce her off the rev limiter all day with 10lbs of booste blowing through the intercooler. Despite these abuses I maintain consistent maintainance.

For the first time in the 12 years Ive had this machine the motor isnt running right. I went to start her 2 days ago and she runs funny. starts and idles perfect but resitates and stutters at 1500rpms. she coughs for about 5 seconds while the tach moves up past 2500 rpms then she takes off again and runs smooth at glass builting booste and pulling hard through 4000 rpms like nothing is wrong. I thought perhaps it was the TPS so i ran to autozone and changed it out but it makes no difference. I cant see any vacume leaks under the hood. This truck had a new headgasket and valve job about 5 yeras ago and has less than a thousand miles on it since then. i trailer her everywhere

One tidbit. the week before I was playing with the cruiser in a dry river and ran it out of gas. I put more gas in her and kept going for several hours with no problems before i parked her. probably didnt make a difference but i mentin it

What gives?

It sounds as if debris has made it's way into the fuel pump and when the volume of gas in the line itself has been used the pump is unable to refill the lines quick enough to supply the engine. My guess would be that it is time to replace the fuel pump and filter along with blowing out the fuel lines to ensure all debris is removed as which to not damage the new pump assembly.

Jump power the fuel pump. This bypasses the FPR and resistor. If it runs fine while its jumped then its the FPR or resistor. If not then its either a sensor or EFI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom