Help, I'm in FJ40 door weatherstrip replacement hell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, I think I found the reason why it wouldn't stick. I used the 8008 which apparently doesn't stick to EPDM weatherstripping. I found a few other car restoring forums where they mention 8011 worked, but 8008 did exactly what it did for me.... pulled right away.

I did however complete the installation with the 3M double sided tape in less than 20 minutes. It was super easy, it was not messy and didn't stink. I'm going to leave the doors closed for a few days because the info on the website says it cures completely in 72 hours.

Fingers are crossed. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all of the info!
Post up some pictures when you get a chance. I fought with glue last time, I like the tape idea for the next set but I'd like to see the results.

Post up some pictures when you get a chance. I fought with glue last time, I like the tape idea for the next set but I'd like to see the results.

Absolutely I will. Yeah the glue sucks. I will let everyone know if it works. It was dead easy, I put the tape on the perimeter of the door, attached the weatherstripping with those clips you see in the original post and gave it 10 minutes or so just like I did with the ammo can. Then I removed the clips, bolted the ambulance doors up and closed them and ate dinner and had a glass of wine. I hope it works because that would be nice to find an alternative to the glue.

I used to sell 3M VHB and it is amazing stuff. The latest Boeing 777's wings are held together with a VHB tape, it completely replaced the rivets.

It is very specific on how the surface is to be prepped, but if handled correctly its amazing tape.

From my experience with weatherstripping, once new stuff is installed sometimes it’s a pain to shut the door because of the new seal. Wouldn’t this add to its thickness making it a little harder to shut? I use this stuff at work a lot and have no doubt it’ll hold up, just a little curious about the added thickness, especially on driver and passenger doors.

which 3M VHB tape did you use? There seems to be several different varieties.

3M VHB.jpg

Yikes! The 5925 tape is $50 for a 5yd roll of 1\2 inch tape! I'll stick with the 3m 8011 glue.......

Hey there guys! Back home after being on a business trip for a week. I'll try to answer all of the questions posed above. Yes, it worked, seems to be holding up great so far. Nope, it's definitely not $50 for 5 yards... thankfully more like $15. At 1.1 mm I don't think you'd notice it's thickness.

Amazon product ASIN B00HLY78N0
I haven't had any time to put this through the paces but at first light I'm calling this a win. I'll be using it on my front doors in a few months after I've had time to look for any issues with the tape.

I used to sell 3M VHB and it is amazing stuff. The latest Boeing 777's wings are held together with a VHB tape, it completely replaced the rivets.

It is very specific on how the surface is to be prepped, but if handled correctly its amazing tape.

I wasn't super careful with how I prepped the door or the weatherstripping, cleaned it all with denatured alcohol and then put on the tape. Much easier than the glue for sure!

I'm happy to grab a picture but you can't see anything except the weatherstripping. However, the best part is you also can't see any messy glue left overs or the frustration on my face. HA!

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will try it after all.
Do you recall the 3m tape number you ordered? Obviously #5925 is pricey, so must be a different number.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will try it after all.
Do you recall the 3m tape number you ordered? Obviously #5925 is pricey, so must be a different number.

Thanks again!
Never mind, saw the Amazon pic was a link. Thanks!

And keep us posted.

I bike raced for many years on tubular rims, using tape to glue the tires to the rims. That stuff was bomb proof and impossible to get tires off. If it can hold tires on rims flying around corners at 30 plus mph, I think a similar type of deal would work well for weatherstripping.

How is Permatex 81850 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive worked with CityRacer’s weatherstrip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom