Help choosing a small SUV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
My mother is contemplating buying a small SUV to replace her '99 Camry. She has resisted the technological advancements (i.e. confusing electronic stuff) as long as she probably can. She's even pretty much refused to drive my dad's Genesis solely because of those fancy electronics (and the blind spots!). So, I'm wondering what people are liking or hating about their 2017-2019's as far as ease of use for the fancy doodads that she'll wish she could shut off. Not having to use the infotainment screen for things like AC and radio will earn bonus points. Hell, I don't even need firsthand usage accounts, just curious what y'all know from hearing or reading, too.

She's not flashy so a G-Wagen is outta the question. No, @lt1fire, she's not interested in a Unimog, either. And she's not gonna want a 70-Series anything. Price isn't a big issue (as long as she doesn't find out the cost) but I can't see her feeling good about anything much over $30k unless Car Cupid's arrow finds her.

Visibility, easy to park, easy to use, ability to run 35's without a lift, easy entry/exit without climbing up, not having to make repeated trips to the dealer to fix new car problems... These are the biggies for her. She doesn't even want a snorkel or RTT. I know...why even bother???

The obvious early contenders are RAV4 and CRV but I honestly don't think I know anybody who has one I can ask about.

Speak up and help an old lady out!

Last edited:
My mother in law bought a RAV4 last year. I drove it around last weekend when we were in town for a wedding, I liked it. Mother in Law is in LOVE with it. My wife thinks it's painfully boring to drive. I'd consider one. My boss has an RX450 and my co-workers and I all try to recruit her to drive when we go out for lunch; we all love it. It's got all the right bells and whistles and it's super comfortable. They're a bit spendy, though.

I'm about to start boycotting German vehicles; although a close friend from high school just bought a SQ-5 and his wife promptly took it over. I won't lie, that thing was nice!

Was gonna say rav 4 as well

My MIL has had 2 CRV's and absolutely loves it. She bought an early one and drove it until she trades it for a newer model. It is a nice small suv. Nothing really fancy about it at all, but I think it is 2012 I think (would be the 2nd generation I believe).

It has been a good car and ahe hasnt had any real issues that I'm aware of. We actually bought her a Bluetooth head unit for it for Christmas last year so she could use her phone with it.

Dont know much about thw newer models, but it has if they are like the originals then they should be great vehicles.

Hummer H1 :flipoff2:

Equinox, escape, rav4, crv, etc..... really just drive her down independence and try them all out. Only she can really say which is best fro her

RDX or Highlander.

Mother In Law has a RAV4. She bought from Enterprise or Hertz when it came off lease. I've driven it around a lot and it handles pretty well with good enough pickup. Not even sure it has anything more fancy than an AM/FM radio and power windows, but it ticks all the boxes you're looking for. Also handles very well in the snow for just front wheel drive if that's useful to her...

Another ‘mother in law in love with her rav4’ here. The rear storage volume on paper is almost unbelievable compared to the rest of the vehicle size...

I notice a trend and I'll hypothesize on it... You're all male and ONSC people. Married to women. Their mothers love RAV4's.
1 - Your mothers must love Land Cruisers?
2 - You're all hoarders (since nobody has offered to sell me their LC or RAV4 for her).

That leads me to:
1 - I miss @Rice and his scientific method & deductive reasoning. Still trying to wrap my head around "The JohnVee Effect" on my ice cubes, though.
2 - I wonder if she'd mind having to work the dual swing outs on my green 80 when she goes to Wegman's.
3 - Will she mind some old Buckshot Mudders?

My mother has a Rav. My MIL has a CR-V. I've been in and driven both. Obviously similar, but I preferred the Rav. If visibility is is a concern, go Rav. That was the biggest distinction I found.

Another MIL here who loves her ‘18 RAV4. The ‘19s get a total redesign so not sure if bells and whistles will be more numerous. The ‘18 is very spartan inside but it does have a few gadgets. ‘18’s are on the lots alongside ‘19’s right now. Deals can be had on ‘18’s.

Jeanette loves her 15' rav4. i'm not fond of the radio interface. (would look for an aftermarket head unit if i drove it everyday).

My parents have a CRV that has been a great older persons car. I'm guessing they will stop driving soon and one of my brothers kids will end up with it.

But the way I would pick between Rav4 and CRV, is to see which one does NOT have a CVT, and buy that one.

Last edited:
MIL has a 2017 RAV4. She loves it. Weird that there’s so many MILs that have them. I guess it’s the modern equivalent of a broom?

Just got the wife a new Highlander XLE. It’s super nice and has decent power/towing capacity.

We bought a Hybrid Rav4 for Regina’s daily driver, we love it. We get a solid 34 mpg no matter how hard I drive it, back seats recline for more comfort for adults, all around very solid ride.

Stay away from the Eqinox or any GM equivalent! I wouldn't drive one if it was given to me. New ones might be better, but my mom and dad had a VERY bad experience with one and Chevrolet did not do right by them. My folks just rolled with it, but ida had an attorney in it by the end of it had been mine.

My mother in law drives a f350 4x4.

That doesnt help but I wanted to get in on the MIL thing ;)

My MIL no longer drives, but she really likes my wife's CRV. My wife likes it too, so much so that it's a 2003 (we bought new) and she doesn't want a new car. It's zippy, handles well, comfy and spacious, and aside from replacing the AC system (compressor blew up, known problem) and some of the brake system (because, Cleveland road salt) just regular maintenance the past 15 years.

I don't think you can go wrong with RAV or CRV, and I might add Forester to the mix.

How about a CX-5? It's a crossover, not an SUV though. If mom is a performance orientated driver, the turbo engine is coming next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom