Help choosing a small SUV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We just bought (THU) a Rav4 for Wife and Daughter. I wanted all the safety stuff for them. Preferred it over a used Highlander we tested for similar price.

Its basically our family car now and the LX450 can go back to being a weekend/fun truck. Daughter will DD the LX when she gets her license.

I also keep the ladies out of my Tacoma unless I DD the Rav4 on them and they are forced to drive the Tacoma.

Rav4 is fun to skirt-skirt around in. Looking at ATs and lift options now . . . lots of room in the wheel well - thinking of going from 27"s up to KO2 29"'s! :)

With the new body style coming out, we got what I felt was a good deal. I threatened the dealership to order a 2019 Rav4 Adventure if I didn't get a great price. :) Price was $2K below what USAA's buying service said was a "great deal." Shoot me a PM if you want what I paid. Toyota is offering incentives to move these out - looks like too much inventory.

I think the AWD is a HUGE improvement over our 2009 Highlander - hated the AWD on that - kicked on the weirdest times. Thought I was dumb, then found out a LOT of people complained about it.

I like the looks of the new Rav4, but knew what to expect from the '18 and didn't want to wait - worried about the new 8-speed, etc.

My mom loves her Kia Sorento. 100k warranty, efficient, comfortable and relatively inexpensive. The Korean manufacturers have really stepped up their game.

BFG K02 are 8-9 lbs heavier PER TIRE, btw LOL

2015-toyota-rav4-rally-driver-side-front-view.jpg

FWIW: recently bought youngest daughter a 2013 CRV EX-L, her choice over RAV4. She loves it, especially due to gas mileage performance over her previous '98 100 series (just sold yesterday to first time Cruiser owner in Athens, GA).
Would not recommend Forrester as we bought older daughter a 2011 four years ago & it continues to burn oil after having all gaskets, hoses, belts replaced at 120k miles....now has 160k. I don't think I'll ever consider another Urbasu!
86 year old MIL has RX350 but we are close to taking all driving privileges away as she's had 4 incidents this year & has gotten lost numerous times. Sadly her memory is going fast.

I guess something electric might be too foreign for an older person....

My Sister is set on a CRV. Better looking, better gas mileage, better stereo (android and apple support), and . . . .probably cheaper even with the big Toyota incentives to move out the 2018.

but . . .

Will it win rally races?

Edit: Let me add that IN PERSON, i think the Rav4 is better looking than the CRV. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom