Help Can't get Techstream to function (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got time to use Techstream 12.00.127 and I don't see UTILITY button on left when trying to program my mobilizer key. I am trying to programming my new Amazon remote key as I have only the valet key.

I know Techstream is working as I can see 4 key programmmed and it also say I have unmatched key code error also. Any idea what's going on here? Thanks.

Sorry to wake up the thread again but I'm trying Techstream for the first time and have run into some bizarre installation issues. I purchased an MVCI cable (v.1.4.1 firmware) and installed it onto my Dell 430 running a fresh 32bit Windows 7. I started with version 12.00.127 that came with the cable; followed the installation instructions step by step (ie. install TIS, swap the Main Menu exe, and then the MVCI firmware driver and enter the provided activation key). I can successfully connect to the vehicle (it returns my car model, year, VIN, etc.); but when it enters the System Selection Menu, the only blue buttons displayed on the left column are the TIS FUNCTION button and the READ DATA Function button. There were no Health Check, Customize Settings, or other buttons. I uninstalled it and re-installed many times, and even tried version 12.10.09 and the results were the same. Basically, it looks like a handicapped version; I couldn't even do a general health check scan.

1. Is it remotely possible that Techstream has embedded something in my laptop to cripple my installations? The reason is because I occasionally use my Dell D430 laptop to search the web (but I never run Techstream with my WIFI on).

2. After installation, on my first run, there is a window asking for the DEALER NAME, CODE, PHONE and USER TYPE. I select PUBLIC [independent repair stations] and fill in "111" for other boxes. After it enters the main screen, I would click on Software Registration and put in the key. It always register successfully with 5000 days expiration. Is there something wrong here?

Thanks for any advice.

I have never read anything about Techstream doing anything other than refusing to work.

How many times have you started up the system? Asked as the newer version have a 30 use count if you enter North America as the region (vice say Europe).

If that is a possibility then (from a Tacoma forum, probably on here somewhere too - might search and verify) go to C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env and find ”IT3usercustom.ini” file and look for ”Connectioncount=1” or what ever number of times you tried and just delete the number in ”connectioncount=1”. Click save and you should be reseted back to 30

Quick semi-related question.

I made a boneheaded move and ordered this tablet to run tech stream and didn’t realize until I received it that it only has a micro-usb slot.

HP STREAM 7 Windows 8.1 Tablet

Any idea if I can buy a micro to regular USB adapter and have the cable still function?

Last edited:
If you like Amazon just search on: micro usb to usb adapter. They are selling several different adapter to do exactly what you are asking about, and I'm sure others would as well. Make sure you get one that will accept whatever storage you plan to use, need matching male/female ends.

LBridges. I appreciate your advise. Luckily, after hours of playing around with it, I've finally found out why Techstream wasn't fully functioning for me. It was by accident and is something I never thought would be an issue. The reason is because of the sequence of my installation of Techstream in relation to the MVCI Driver & Cable. Here are the steps I took to initially install Techstream onto my Dell D430 laptop running W7-Pro:

***What didn't work***
1. Installed the Techstream (installed version 12.20.024).
2. Installed the X-Horse MVCI driver software (which also contains the driver update tool)
3. Changed the Main.exe hack file.
4. Turned on TS for the 1st time, entered Location, User information, etc.
5. Then I entered the registration key and it successfully activated.
6. While still inside, I went ahead and plugged in the MVCI cable, then opened the X-horse update tool to check the cable to verify it was fw v.1.4.1.
7. I went out my car and plugged the cable into the OBD port and then laptop USB.
8. Opened TS and I noticed it's no longer activated, which I thought was weird but didn't think much of it.
9. I then entered the registration key again and TS is reactivated. No problem I thought.
10. Continued on TS and connected to USB, when it reached the SYSTEM SELECTION menu, the only buttons I have on the left column are TIS FUNCTION and READ DATA FUNCTION. Nothing else, which is useless for me since I needed to check my TPMS sensor parameters and do some customization. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything again multiple times with the same results.

***What ended up working***
1. Installed Techstream
2. Installed X-Horse MVCI driver software.
3. Swapped the Main.exe hack file.
4. Turned on TS and entered Location, User, etc...but did not activated it.
5. I went to my car, opened TS, then plugged in ODB and USB. Windows automatically prompted for the cable driver to install.
6. Clicked on "connect to vehicle", TS popped up and asked for the key. I then entered the key and it activated.
7. Pressed continue and the USB connected to ECU. It recognized my car model, year, vin number, etc.
8. When TS entered the SYSTEM SELECTION menu, everything was there (ie. Health Check, Customization, etc.). See the results of my screenshot below.

Apparently, after I changed the Main.exe and completely activated Techstream, I thought it was ready to go. However, when I later installed the MVCI driver software, then immediately plugged in the MVCI cable for windows to install the driver, the cable/driver installation process somehow screwed up my "hacked Techstream", which also caused the 5000 day activation to disappear (step #8 above); as a result, I ended up with a crippled version of TS. Re-entering the activation key after this point didn't help either since the software is tainted. What I've learned is to NOT plug in the cable immediately after installation, but wait until you go out to the car, then plug in the OBD cable. When you press connect, it'll pop up and ask for the key, this is when you enter the key to activate, and then continue on to connect to ECU. Whew!
I hope I'm able to help people in the same boat as I was.

Camry 2010b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the detail sequence - that works - that should prove valuable to others.

Success!

After several hours of pretending like I knew what I was doing, I was able to get TS working on the HP Stream 7 tablet that I purchased. It’s running Windows 8.1 as far as I can tell.

As I mentioned before it only had a micro USB port which I didn’t realize until after I had opened the box to look at it. However, I did luck out in the fact that it’s running on a 32-bit system.

Looking at a few different Toyota forums (Tundra, 4Runner, FT86, RAV4), I had tried several different versions of TS, but was having a hard time getting them downloaded on to the tablet correctly. Eventually, after nearly 5.5 hours, I found what I remembered to be the site that I used a few years ago when I set it up on my MacBook. Downloaded the file and everything seemed good. With this site I didn’t have to mess with any drivers or updates, everything I needed is contained. I just followed the directions. Here’s the site:
OneDrive

The next issue to tackle was only having a micro USB slot. As @LBridges pointed out, I needed a micro USB to USB adapter. Off I went to the local electronics store. As ordering from Amazon for me is at least a 7-10 day ordeal with shipping. I couldn’t wait that long... Of course, no adapter with a female end was to be found. So I tried to get smart and bought an adapter with a male end and then bought a 4-port USB hub. My thought process was that I could Jerry-rig these two together and then plug the OBD cable into the hub. No clue if it would actually work. The only thing I new was that my OBD cable was a known good from my previous setup.

My initial attempts ended in frustration as TS was not recognizing the cable nor was the MVCI updater showing any cable plugged in. After stepping back and thinking about what I had done and reviewing my connection I realized I missed something. I hadn’t applied power to the USB hub. :bang: Thinking I had solved all my problems, I went back to the Cruiser and added power to the Hub from a USB/cigarette charger. Noticed I now had the red light at the OBD port and I was pumped! Still, no joy. I gave up at this point for the day, which really had been a 2 day process by now.

Saturday we had some family business to attend to at IKEA and Decathalon. As we pulled up I noticed an electronics store across the way. I told my wife if I get a chance, I NEED to run in and look for this adapter. Keep in mind I have 3 kids 5 years and under. Well, the opportunity presented itself, I left the wife shopping for holiday decorations and I sprinted over to the electronics store and bought the only adapter that I thought would work.

Got home, plugged everything in and immediately got the familiar “ding” of Windows recognizing that a device is plugged in. I then realize that I hadn’t got that before with the Jerry-rigged setup. Check the connection and it shows connected. I then immediately run out to the Cruiser and hook it up. It worked and I was able to read my AHC pressures!!

I hope this helps anyone who is as IT illiterate as me and gives you the confidence to get Techstream setup. Thanks to all the knowledgeable people on this and other forums who take time to help people like me!!!

0137E598-B60A-428B-B84F-819C8EB6338B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks ChuckB and Beyondx4 for your detailed info.. Congratulations ChuckB!

Actually I got exactly problem with OP, beyondx4. My lexus gx470 2004 got TPMS problem, I guess they are out of battery.
I went to Wheel works, they checked and replaced one TPMS, but warning light still on. so they offered me to repalce another 2. for $200. I refused since it is an old car, I decided to do it by myself. not too hard, bought BR2450A battery, replaced them. but the warning light still on. back to wheel works, they checked again, says battery's power too low. ..... and refused to reset the light for me this time. Understandable.

I searched website, bought mini VCI 2.0.4 from ebay, that is the only one who are selling 2.0.4 version so far, on ebay and amazon, $59. since the description of 1.4.1 version mini vci says:
* For toyota and lexus before 2005, we recommend the Original Mini VCI Cable with latest v2.0.4 firmware (K-line Supported)
That was reason I bought the 2.04 version.
Original Mini VCI Diagnostic Cable OBD for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream fw 2.0.4 | eBay

Once I got this 2.0.4 cable, installed the latest TECHSTREAM 12.20.024 on 32 and 64bit win7, installed 8.00.034 on 32bit win xp. all not working. just like what OP got.

So I contacted the seller, seller said, I have to use 1.4.1 version on Lexus 470 and 430. but.......how can you explain the description for the item he listed :For toyota and lexus before 2005, we recommend the Original Mini VCI Cable with latest v2.0.4 firmware.

The seller answered, sorry, we made a mistake, we will change the 1.4.1 description......

I am old enough to not leave a negative feedback and make a call write emails to the seller, and fight them in ebay, forget it.
The seller offered me again with a "big discount",
V12.20.024 Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner fr Lexus Toyota TIS Techstream | eBay
$25 for a 1.4.1 cable. they changed an item's price to $49, ask me to bid that one for $25, when everywhere sell this below $19. some of seller at aliexpress even selling for $9.

So I started to search again, and found this post.
I will go ahead to order a 1.4.1 mini vci, but I am thinking to buy a MVCI for Lexus , Honda and Volvo. Hopefully that will work for 2004 GX470.

Sorry for the long story. Happy Holidays!

Gpsfan

With the link I posted I have the v.1.4.1 firmware on 32 bit and it worked no problem. I'll check the firmware version when I get home to be sure. I'm running TechStream 7.00.020 on my 2004 and it appears to do everything I need it to. I don't have TPMS, so I'm not sure that is an option I can play with on when I plug my Cruiser in.

With a fully functioning version 12.20.024 of Techstream, I was able to isolate the bad TPMS sensor to the front/left wheel. I think I will purchase a good aftermarket TPMS set soon and replace everything at the same time when I change out my tires.

About MVCI cables, I initially bought a purple DrewTech Mongoose knock-off, which looks very nice but is a v1.4.1 cable. Out of curiosity, I wanted to own a v2.0.4 cable, so I attempted to purchase a v2.0.4 cable but was unsuccessful two times (1st time a clear v1.4.1 cable was sent and my money was refunded; on the 2nd cable, I made them verify the version before shipment and the seller later cancelled the transaction). According to one of the ODB sellers in China, it has gone out of production (weird), so no new stock is available. Whatever is left on the market goes for astronomical prices. In any case, after fiddling around with TS, I think the average enthusiast will have no need for the v2.0.4 cable w/ K-line support.

If you have an old laptop, it's a good idea is to repurpose it as an automotive diagnostic computer running Windows 7 32bit; don't go online with it and no need to run an antivirus software. I have my Dell D430 running All-Data, Mitchell-on-Demand, and Techstream.

I want to order a cable and techstream software, and I'm trying to make sure that I order the right version. I have a 2000 LX470, 2008 GX470, and 2008 IS250, I'd like to be able to use it for all of them.

Do I need a cable with firmware version 1.4.1 or 2.04? From those auction listings, it appears I need the 2.04, but it's not completely clear.

BTW,

I had the same problem as you. It was working on a previous install, but when I installed tech stream on another laptop, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the hacked serial # didn't work. basically, I did what you did and did plug the cable in, until I got to the car.

thx

LBridges. I appreciate your advise. Luckily, after hours of playing around with it, I've finally found out why Techstream wasn't fully functioning for me. It was by accident and is something I never thought would be an issue. The reason is because of the sequence of my installation of Techstream in relation to the MVCI Driver & Cable. Here are the steps I took to initially install Techstream onto my Dell D430 laptop running W7-Pro:

***What didn't work***
1. Installed the Techstream (installed version 12.20.024).
2. Installed the X-Horse MVCI driver software (which also contains the driver update tool)
3. Changed the Main.exe hack file.
4. Turned on TS for the 1st time, entered Location, User information, etc.
5. Then I entered the registration key and it successfully activated.
6. While still inside, I went ahead and plugged in the MVCI cable, then opened the X-horse update tool to check the cable to verify it was fw v.1.4.1.
7. I went out my car and plugged the cable into the OBD port and then laptop USB.
8. Opened TS and I noticed it's no longer activated, which I thought was weird but didn't think much of it.
9. I then entered the registration key again and TS is reactivated. No problem I thought.
10. Continued on TS and connected to USB, when it reached the SYSTEM SELECTION menu, the only buttons I have on the left column are TIS FUNCTION and READ DATA FUNCTION. Nothing else, which is useless for me since I needed to check my TPMS sensor parameters and do some customization. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything again multiple times with the same results.

***What ended up working***
1. Installed Techstream
2. Installed X-Horse MVCI driver software.
3. Swapped the Main.exe hack file.
4. Turned on TS and entered Location, User, etc...but did not activated it.
5. I went to my car, opened TS, then plugged in ODB and USB. Windows automatically prompted for the cable driver to install.
6. Clicked on "connect to vehicle", TS popped up and asked for the key. I then entered the key and it activated.
7. Pressed continue and the USB connected to ECU. It recognized my car model, year, vin number, etc.
8. When TS entered the SYSTEM SELECTION menu, everything was there (ie. Health Check, Customization, etc.). See the results of my screenshot below.

Apparently, after I changed the Main.exe and completely activated Techstream, I thought it was ready to go. However, when I later installed the MVCI driver software, then immediately plugged in the MVCI cable for windows to install the driver, the cable/driver installation process somehow screwed up my "hacked Techstream", which also caused the 5000 day activation to disappear (step #8 above); as a result, I ended up with a crippled version of TS. Re-entering the activation key after this point didn't help either since the software is tainted. What I've learned is to NOT plug in the cable immediately after installation, but wait until you go out to the car, then plug in the OBD cable. When you press connect, it'll pop up and ask for the key, this is when you enter the key to activate, and then continue on to connect to ECU. Whew!
I hope I'm able to help people in the same boat as I was.

View attachment 1588206

Success!

After several hours of pretending like I knew what I was doing, I was able to get TS working on the HP Stream 7 tablet that I purchased. It’s running Windows 8.1 as far as I can tell.

As I mentioned before it only had a micro USB port which I didn’t realize until after I had opened the box to look at it. However, I did luck out in the fact that it’s running on a 32-bit system.

Looking at a few different Toyota forums (Tundra, 4Runner, FT86, RAV4), I had tried several different versions of TS, but was having a hard time getting them downloaded on to the tablet correctly. Eventually, after nearly 5.5 hours, I found what I remembered to be the site that I used a few years ago when I set it up on my MacBook. Downloaded the file and everything seemed good. With this site I didn’t have to mess with any drivers or updates, everything I needed is contained. I just followed the directions. Here’s the site:
OneDrive

The next issue to tackle was only having a micro USB slot. As @LBridges pointed out, I needed a micro USB to USB adapter. Off I went to the local electronics store. As ordering from Amazon for me is at least a 7-10 day ordeal with shipping. I couldn’t wait that long... Of course, no adapter with a female end was to be found. So I tried to get smart and bought an adapter with a male end and then bought a 4-port USB hub. My thought process was that I could Jerry-rig these two together and then plug the OBD cable into the hub. No clue if it would actually work. The only thing I new was that my OBD cable was a known good from my previous setup.

My initial attempts ended in frustration as TS was not recognizing the cable nor was the MVCI updater showing any cable plugged in. After stepping back and thinking about what I had done and reviewing my connection I realized I missed something. I hadn’t applied power to the USB hub. :bang: Thinking I had solved all my problems, I went back to the Cruiser and added power to the Hub from a USB/cigarette charger. Noticed I now had the red light at the OBD port and I was pumped! Still, no joy. I gave up at this point for the day, which really had been a 2 day process by now.

Saturday we had some family business to attend to at IKEA and Decathalon. As we pulled up I noticed an electronics store across the way. I told my wife if I get a chance, I NEED to run in and look for this adapter. Keep in mind I have 3 kids 5 years and under. Well, the opportunity presented itself, I left the wife shopping for holiday decorations and I sprinted over to the electronics store and bought the only adapter that I thought would work.

Got home, plugged everything in and immediately got the familiar “ding” of Windows recognizing that a device is plugged in. I then realize that I hadn’t got that before with the Jerry-rigged setup. Check the connection and it shows connected. I then immediately run out to the Cruiser and hook it up. It worked and I was able to read my AHC pressures!!

I hope this helps anyone who is as IT illiterate as me and gives you the confidence to get Techstream setup. Thanks to all the knowledgeable people on this and other forums who take time to help people like me!!!

View attachment 1589116

Link is still good!

[QUOTE="LBridges, post:I can provide you with 64 bit drivers that I know work. Send me a PM with an e-mail add."

LBridges, can you please provide me with the 64bit MVCI drivers that work. I am having a challenge with the 2.0.4 driver installation on my 64bit widows which the 1.4.1 was doing great on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom